Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have another thread about getting a new heater for the jeep but i cannot search for some reason (issue with site or just me?). We had it installed today and no more scraping ice off the INSIDE of the windshield! :rock:

This thing is more powerful than what the jeep comes with. I'm quite amazed. I was gonna do a write-up but we breezed right through it so quickly. My step-father lent me a hand.

We still have a bit of touch-up to do on the system. The black hose to the windshield will not be there. We're gonna hide it somewhere or follow down the side of the dash. The hole in the floor needs painted and sealed shut. I gotta zip tie the heater hose some more and secure the wiring and all that.

To give you an idea how well this heater works, it warmed the jeep when it was OFF. Just the two black heater hoses in the back can warm up the jeep. They get so hot. I may have to shield them some. Medium Setting on the fan speed is the same as max on the jeep's original heater. High is like sticking your head out the window at 45 mph. I find the position on the center console just perfect. I can still rest my elbow on there and the console still flips open :)

You won't believe how nice it is to have heat after all these weeks driving in a frozen jeep. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh [email protected]#$. My transfer case is leaking. :brickwall::brickwall: No more underside pictures. :brickwall::brickwall:

Jeeps.

·
Registered
317 Posts
That's not a heater, it's a furnace! Nice :cheers:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
nice mudd but it is a eye sore even for a heep.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Nice bus heater. I have used them before . In a truck on our boats at work. if you run the flex house from the fan along the trany hump on the floor to your plastic house fome the jeep heater. that way you can use the controles on the dash as to if you want it on dfrost or heat or floor.
Just a thought. I did it once it worked well.

·
Registered
608 Posts
You better put some kind of rubber or grommet around that hole you got those heater lines through... I sure as hell wouldn't want one of those rubbing through...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow man, you must have been pretty cold to get that sucker. I am in the plumbing and HVAC wholesale supply business, and we have units like that amd replacement parts and so on, and i must say, units that size, or at least what i can tell by the blower wheel on that thing, is a size we would reccomend for a small house, if we were talking air handlers or furnaces and such. i am impressed. although i dont like to get my face melted if i were in the back seat. have fun!

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Just curious, why can't you just use the defrost?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Who cares? Doesn't have to be pretty to be functional... I'd deal with the eyesore just so I don't freeze my biscuits off until it's warm enuff to fix the original stuff...

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm not for looks, only function :) It takes away some of the prettiness of the interior. When i had my tj, i tore out all the functional shi$ in the interior and had wires, parts, and stuff all over the place. Me Likey :) Of course when summer comes along, i just remove the four bolts holding it and place it on the rear floor and it's out of the way.

My heater core is leaking on itself and the coolant evaporates into the air making me seriously sick. A two minute drive to work is HELL. Headache, dry mouth, numbness, etc. I was quoted $600+ for a heater core fix, which involves tearing off the entire dash so I said screw it cuz I could get a more powerful heater for only $190.

Yeah the hole is gonna be prepped, painted, and sealed tomorrow.

It was funny when we were drilling the hole for the hoses. I told my step-father than there's a bracket thingie underneath that you may get stuck on. He didn't even look and said "don't worry, I'll get it in the middle" and he drilled it right in the middle of it. I dunno how he does this stuff. He also did all the wiring while i cut brackets and stuff. He had the wiring down in about 15 minutes, and there's alot of wiring to do. He told me when you are in the army and deal with explosives on a daily basis, this becomes too easy. :bow: Cool guy. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice bus heater. I have used them before . In a truck on our boats at work. if you run the flex house from the fan along the trany hump on the floor to your plastic house fome the jeep heater. that way you can use the controles on the dash as to if you want it on dfrost or heat or floor.
Just a thought. I did it once it worked well.
Where exactly did you connect the flex hose to the factory heater duct? That sounds like a good idea. The heater has two 3" holes on it so one runs to the dash and the other can run to the factory heater ducting. Or maybe both to the factory ducts and I can eliminate the heater unit that's on the dash.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
under the dash on the passingerside. you can mount the unit on the foor behind the passinger set run the duck or fex pipe under the passenger seat and along the hump on the floor then up to the jeep duck. I did not ever do it on an xj but on other trucks.
I do not know where you bought the bus heater but they should sell parts that would able you to connect no problem. 3" coller. its hard plastic.
all you have to do is connect someplace around the heater core. you may have to undo some dash part to get at it. but I do not think so.
one other thing you may want to watch out for is that having that heater duck so close to the window you may crack the window on a real cold day by blasting heat on it.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Wow man, you must have been pretty cold to get that sucker. I am in the plumbing and HVAC wholesale supply business, and we have units like that amd replacement parts and so on, and i must say, units that size, or at least what i can tell by the blower wheel on that thing, is a size we would reccomend for a small house, if we were talking air handlers or furnaces and such. i am impressed. although i dont like to get my face melted if i were in the back seat. have fun!
Sorry man but I do not think you have seen one of these work.
the blower motor in the back can fool you. it looks big but it's not that strong
It would heat a jeep no problem like his and the way he has it set up but, it would not heat a room in a house so no way would it heat a house.
I have one on the boat I use at work. (the core is 2 times as big as this one) the wheel house is only 10' by 5' by 6'3" and it has a hard time to heat that on full all day (12 hours) and the wheel house is all insulated.
as far as mealting someones face off in the back seat never happen as the blower motor is where the air is sucked into the heater and then forced out the flex lines in the front that he has hooked up.

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts

"Fire! I... HAVE MADE FIRE!"

That's an elaborate setup you got there, and I bet it works like a charm. My heat sucks, and pretty much doesn't do anything in these current temperatures. I need to try flushing my heater core, but a) I have no garden hose and b) it would probably freeze if I did.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Perhaps I am tooo anal about things, but I can't help but tell you something that you probably have already considered...

There is a reason the heater hoses are kept in the engine compartment, behind the "firewall". If one of those hoses rupture, everyone in the cab is going to feel the heat.

I would strongly recommend that you get those heater hoses back in the engine compartment.

I hate saying this, because it is obvious that you've put a lot of work into this.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Perhaps I am tooo anal about things, but I can't help but tell you something that you probably have already considered...

There is a reason the heater hoses are kept in the engine compartment, behind the "firewall". If one of those hoses rupture, everyone in the cab is going to feel the heat.

I would strongly recommend that you get those heater hoses back in the engine compartment.

I hate saying this, because it is obvious that you've put a lot of work into this.
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about the setup this morning while installing my arms and links. First i was thinking of wrapping the heater hoses in exhaust insulation wrap cuz they get so hot but then started to think about leaks and stuff like that, if it ever happened. I decided that i'm gonna run it as is till winter is over and then re-do the core setup, probably on the floor or back in the cargo area. I have no doubt that it will still heat the jeep just fine back there. I drove it a couple miles today and had it on low setting. Once the jeep is up to operating temperature, the sucker blows some hot air and fast. It makes you think the factory heaters were built cheap. First time all winter that i drove the jeep without a coat and three layers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts