Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I need to do a coolant flush on my 96 XJ (just bought it) and figured I could use an idiot proof how-to with pictures if at all possible. This is my first 4.0 HO so I don't know my way around the Inline 6.

Please reply with any article or advice you can give. I need to do this as soon as possible. Thanks,
s

·
Registered
608 Posts
I bought the flush & fill kits that have the T-fitting that splices into the heater hose...
They're pretty much hook up garden hose, and follow the directions.
I'd recommend a cooling system cleaner/flush before you do it though...
Don't forget to blow out the heater core sometime during the process.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd recommend a cooling system cleaner/flush before you do it though...
Don't forget to blow out the heater core sometime during the process.
I can find a cooling system flush product on a shelf, but the rest was over my head. How do you go about blowing out the heater core?

s

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
undo one of the lines that go into the heatercore and let the garden hose push water through it. you will find the hose located on the left under the hood (looking in from the front of the jeep) by the fire wall. ( that would be on the passenger side) or you can flush with air if you have a compresser. but I like the water because it the heatercore is almost rotten ( and it can happen) to much air can blow a hole it. then you have truble.

·
Registered
608 Posts
undo one of the lines that go into the heatercore and let the garden hose push water through it. you will find the hose located on the left under the hood by the fire wall. or you can flush with air if you have a compresser. but I like the water because it the heatercore is almost rotten ( and it can happen) to much air can blow a hole it. then you have truble.
Exactly, and you might want to do it both directions a few times just to get it all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I need all of this hand holding, but I've got a few more questions. I went to the Prestone website and was inundated with products. Which coolant (Prestone :: Products : Antifreeze/Coolant) do you recommend? What flush or cleaner (Prestone :: Products : Cooling System Treatments you recommend for a sealed radiator that has likely been neglected?

Also, what do you think of these coolant flushing procedures?
Begin by finding a sealable container large enough to collect the used antifreeze. Position it under the petcock which is located on the bottom of the radiator. On mine, the petcock is located on the passenger side, but the location might vary depending on the source of your radiator (OEM vs. aftermarket). It's opened by twisting the plastic tab. Remember, it's plastic, so don't use too much force on it. Also, I apologize for the poor quality photo, but I was laying on my back while playing Ansel Adams.

After the radiator has drained, open the radiator cap. Move your bucket under the engine and remove the coolant temperature sensor or drain plug on the left side of the 4.0L engine block (image below).

If you're flushing the system, follow these steps or the directions on any radiator flushing products you buy. Otherwise, you can skip this section and refill the system.

Once the coolant has drained, tighten the petcock and any plugs or sensors you removed. Refill the radiator with water. Turn on the Jeep's heater and run the engine until the thermostat opens (the upper radiator hose will become hot). Repeat several times until the water runs clear allowing the engine to cool each time before opening the petcock to drain the radiator.

Once, the water runs clear, determine the capacity of your radiator and fill to the top with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water. Do not use tap water - your body might need the minerals, but your engine doesn't! Leave the radiator cap off to bleed any air from the system. Start your Jeep and allow it to run until the thermostat opens. As it runs, the coolant level should drop. This is normal as the system bleeds any air pockets out of the system. Refill the radiator and check for any leaks. After the engine has cooled, add coolant to the overflow tank. Due to thermal expansion, you shouldn't add coolant when the engine is warm.

Dispose of your used antifreeze and flushed water appropriately. DO NOT pour it into the gutter or down a storm drain. Check with your local water district or garbage company to determine the appropriate method of recycling used antifreeze. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
your not being a pain...
if you are going to do this go ahead but you may run into truble if you remove the rad drain plug, the plug on the engine or, the coolant sensor. I do not recomend you do this inless you have spare ones to put back when they break off...
just do as said before undo the line going to the bottom of the rad.
this will drain everything even in the motor. then place hose on rad to flush system or if you use a flushing product ( I dont think you should as the old rad or heatercore may not like it and wind up with holes in them) hook the line back to the rad and follow the steps from their.
If it was me (and I have been bit twice using cleaners in a rad system. once on my own and once when a garge did it. all I had was problems after.)
I would just empty the system then clean with garden hose and then clean out heater core with hose last step fill up with 50/50 mix antifreeze/water you do not even have to you distilled or just go buy some prmixed that way its not a gessing game for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, so I bought the coolant and the back-flush kit from Prestone. If I'm to follow the directions on the package, I need to find splice the TEE into the heater inlet hose (one of the two hoses that come from the firewall). I can find the hoses, but I don't know which is the heater inlet hose. Please take a look at the attached photo and tell me if #1 or #2 is the heater inlet hose.

BowtieGuy3 added that even with this flush procedure, I will need to "blow out the heater core sometime during the process." How do I do this? TazJeeper wrote that I should "undo the line going to the bottom of the rad. This will drain everything even in the motor. Then place hose on rad to flush system." Is this what is referred to as "blowing" out the heater core? If so, is this #3 on the photo?

Thanks,
s

PS: Where is the 'Smilie' photo with a dude wearing a dunce cap? I need about 30 in this message alone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
the inlet should be the one on bottom of firewall
as far as the rad hose to empty its the one on the bottom of the rad.
if you are using a flushing system you should not have to flush out heatercore aswell. it will be done at the sametime because you are flushing the system and the heatercore is part of it..
and then just follow the steps that you have

·
Registered
608 Posts
It's the large hose that runs along the valve cover that gets the T. I believe it's the top one, the W/P to H/C.
To blow out the Heater Core, the line you put the T in gets the hose first, with the other line removed, the reverse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts