Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to hear it.

Save the Drama for your mama!:)

Everything is 100%. She runs like a dream and I replaced all 4 oxygen sensors.
It's still throwing o2 codes at me. Tired of dealing with it.

What color is the wire going to the Check engine light?

It's a 2000 Cherokee with a 4.0

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
What codes is it showing? I wouldn't cut the wire for several reasons such as the fact that if something does start to falter outside of your O2 sensors then how will you know? Also, if the light isn't going off, then there is probably still a problem somewhere.

Post up the codes and let's toss some ideas around, but don't cut the wire to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2000 Cherokee also! Had the same problem...it turned out to be my gas cap. The seal was bad. I replaced it and the problem is gone.

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you are actually serious about this, you could just take out the light bulb.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Codes that Im getting? PO130 and PO136. Glad I didn't cut it. It needs inspection by next week and I just want it to pass. Don't want to have to hear it from the mechanic about that damn light. Glad I didn't cut it though. Was driving it tonite and she stumbles during acceleration a bit. I tried to adjust the Camshaft position sensor before I did the new head and gasket (i.e. before I knew what was wrong). Normally, Id just do the timing with the light but that looks tough with this coil pack. Do I have to go through the whole process of finding TDC or is there a way to put the timing light on it?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Codes that Im getting? PO130 and PO136. Glad I didn't cut it. It needs inspection by next week and I just want it to pass. Don't want to have to hear it from the mechanic about that damn light. Glad I didn't cut it though. Was driving it tonite and she stumbles during acceleration a bit. I tried to adjust the Camshaft position sensor before I did the new head and gasket (i.e. before I knew what was wrong). Normally, Id just do the timing with the light but that looks tough with this coil pack. Do I have to go through the whole process of finding TDC or is there a way to put the timing light on it?
You just said no drama, and there you go... :rofl:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If you are actually serious about this, you could just take out the light bulb.
lol.....really seriously it might purr but something is wrong. not to be mean but please dont be ignorant its just a light so unless youre trying to sell it and doop someone (which is just wrong) why would you want to remove it?if you have to ask how to cut the wire you need to do some research because theres no wire to cut in the first place its on a plastic circuit board and the bulb unscrews in the back. so it doesnt purr, hmmm welli dont know the codes since i dont have a ecu like that but im sure someone will chime in what they mean. good luck. and anytime you do a repair like you did it could be anything! you may have broken a wire or vac line in the process. doesnt take much. good luck and hang in there youll get it

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the support. I'm not trying to "doop" anyone. I'm not selling her. Just sick of looking at it. I'm glad I didn't cut it though bc it's running like SH8t again!!! Please help! Putting a new post up now.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Those are both codes for your two O2 sensors, I believe on the right half of the exhaust manifold when looking at the engine bay while standing at the driverside front tire. I always forget which side (front/rear of engine) "Bank 1" and "Bank 2" stand for. If you just did all that work, and blew the head recently, you probably just messed up the O2 sensors. You could either just pull them out, clean them up and reinstall them. Then remove the code and see if they reappear. If they do, then replace them. Bad 02 sensors can cause rough idle and weird acceleration, as well as a decrease in gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Those are both codes for your two O2 sensors, I believe on the right half of the exhaust manifold when looking at the engine bay while standing at the driverside front tire. I always forget which side (front/rear of engine) "Bank 1" and "Bank 2" stand for. If you just did all that work, and blew the head recently, you probably just messed up the O2 sensors. You could either just pull them out, clean them up and reinstall them. Then remove the code and see if they reappear. If they do, then replace them. Bad 02 sensors can cause rough idle and weird acceleration, as well as a decrease in gas mileage.
i told him after the head his o2s would be bad...hmmm i thought he got new ones though? or did i read wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
In the 11 years I have owned my XJ I have seen the check engine come on twice.

Once was when I disconnected the upstream O2 sensor trying to get some readings.

The other time was when the netural safety switch was acting up.

Me thinks that if you have a check engine light you have a REAL problem you need to address.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Kyle gave the OP a membership in the band. Doesnt look like he'll be reading this anytime soon. :p
Yeah I noticed that after my post, but someone else can benefit. Besides I bet he can read it now, we'd just be confused by who was replying.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts