Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I want to apologize up front about my lack of knowledge. Does anyone know where I can find an ignition actuator pin for a 1983 Jeep Cherokee with 5.8L? Or a work around? The vehicle (recently purchased) currently has a toggle and push button start and I'd like to switch back to a key. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I had to look at your other thread first and realized we are talking about an FSJ, not a later Cherokee. Im not making any promises, but I was thinking those had GM ignition switches in them? Should be super simple to get one at a parts store. I don't know much about the FSJs though. Sorry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did I post in the wrong forum? I have been looking in parts stores and so far have been out of luck. I will check out the GM ignition switches. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
No you're technically in a fine place. Most of us have XJs, ZJs, and other newer Grand Cherokee models. We don't get many FSJs on here, but we have nothing against them. It just means the help may be a bit slower lol.

·
Super Moderator
10,284 Posts
Here is a link to www.rockauto.com for the actual ignition key cylinder, is that what you need?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not quite. There is an actuator rod/pin that goes between the cylinder and ignition switch.But thanks for looking for it. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sent them and email seeing if that part will work. But that is what I am looking for. Thank you for all the help and support.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Also Ben you may want to look at the FSJNetwork forum, very active FSJ community.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: The 1983 Jeep Cherokee had a GM steering column so parts from that should work. I have not acquired one yet but will soon.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Glad to hear it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts