Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 92 jeep cherokee and i cant find a transfer case. i have looked vertually every were i found sum very similar but they are all slightly different. mine is a 242 j. the gear ratio is 272. my tail shaft cracked and my bearings are screwed and so i need a new one. but its gonna cost 1,000 to rebuild the one i got. so if u can plz contact me.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
what truck do you have?...may as well swap a 231...

·
Registered
307 Posts
dude.

rebuild it yourself if you're so worried. I'm sure someone has a good tailshaft and rear housing.

I rebuilt one. it had a bad chain. the new chain, oil pump screen, and tube cost me $130 or so.

you'll need those parts, a tail shaft, and some bearings.

so figure around $350 to rebuild it, and then you have a new t-case. rebuilding them is not hard at all. you just need to take your time and assess it as you're taking it apart.

(p.s. if they're charging $1000 to rebuild one...I need to get into that business. it's a 2 hour job)

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I agree with the rebuild yourself, but I noticed a rebuilt 242J in the Quadratec catalog for ahhh $698 I think. $300 core charge, so you'd need to spend the $15 to buy a replacement tail from the junk yard.

12 month, 12k mile warranty.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Call up your local junkyards and see if they have any tcases or rigs with said tcases available. Pull it your self and swap it in. You can swap in another NP242 or you can swap in an NP231.

There is actually someone selling an NP231 for $250 in the For Sale section of this forum.

·
Registered
444 Posts
whats the difference between a 231 and 242.. someone told me the 242 has a lower 4L ratio.. what else is different??

as for doing what your doing.. rebuild the thing.. i rebuilt my 231 for less 200 bucks and its 100% brand spankin' new.. and... it took about an hour.. lol

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
whats the difference between a 231 and 242.. someone told me the 242 has a lower 4L ratio.. what else is different??

as for doing what your doing.. rebuild the thing.. i rebuilt my 231 for less 200 bucks and its 100% brand spankin' new.. and... it took about an hour.. lol
the 242 has fulltime 4wd.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Moved to the correct section.
Kyle this is still in the wrong section this should be with the Cherokee things! Read his first post he has a 92 xj so why is it in general vechicle area?

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
False, both the NP242 and the NP231 have a 2.72:1 Low Range.

Whoever told you that may have been getting the NP242 confused with the Rubicon NP241, which has a 4:1 Low Range

the 242 has fulltime 4wd.
Correct :cheers:

This is probably the most significant difference. The NP242 is a Full-Time Tcase meaning that in addition to 2Hi, 4Hi, and 4Lo, it has a 4-Full-Time option, that can be used on any type of surface (dry, wet, icy, slippery, non-slippery) because it splits the power 48% to the front axle and 52% to the rear axle. It does not lock the two together, which prevents binding.

Moved to the correct section.
If we're going to be technical about this, then shouldn't this thread really have been in the "Wanted" section because the OP is looking for a tcase :dunno:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
False, both the NP242 and the NP231 have a 2.72:1 Low Range.

Whoever told you that may have been getting the NP242 confused with the Rubicon NP241, which has a 4:1 Low Range

Correct :cheers:

This is probably the most significant difference. The NP242 is a Full-Time Tcase meaning that in addition to 2Hi, 4Hi, and 4Lo, it has a 4-Full-Time option, that can be used on any type of surface (dry, wet, icy, slippery, non-slippery) because it splits the power 48% to the front axle and 52% to the rear axle. It does not lock the two together, which prevents binding.

If we're going to be technical about this, then shouldn't this thread really have been in the "Wanted" section because the OP is looking for a tcase :dunno:
that makes the np231 better..rite?

·
Registered
444 Posts
in my book sounds like a 241 is the one to have.. so by Rubicon you mean they can be found in Rubicon TJs??

as for the full time 4wd... why!?!?! just what i wanna do is get worse mileage

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
The NP241 can be found in TJ/LJ Rubicons, I am not sure if it is also used in JK Rubi's or if they switched to something else.

Don't get confused. The NP242 has a 2WD option, so that you're not constantly in 4WD. 4-Full-Time is a selection option.

For example,

the NP231 has the following selection pattern: 2WD-4Hi-N-4Lo

the NP242 has the following selection pattern: 2WD-4Hi-4FullTime-N-4Lo

So no, the NP242 will not cause you to get worse gas mileage than the NP231 because you can always keep it in 2WD. 4FT is helpful in situations where there is rain and/or light snow where the pavement is still the main point of contact. In a situation such as this one, using 4Hi is usually not advisable because those conditions do not allow for enough slip, and can cause your tcase and diffs to bind up. 4FT prevents this binding issue from occurring.

As for one being better than the other, IMHO, I find them to be just about equal. NVG rates the NP231 as having a higher torque threshold by 400 ft-lbs, but the NP242 is still rated for 1,4xx ft-lb. The NP231 has more aftermarket support than the 242, but anything you find for the 231 can be found for the 242 as well. It really just winds down to preference.

Another tid-bit of info is that if the future is going to bring you guys a front locker, then you will not be able to use the Full-Time option anymore, so your NP242 would be as good as a 231 because of the inability to use FT.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
in my book sounds like a 241 is the one to have.. so by Rubicon you mean they can be found in Rubicon TJs??

as for the full time 4wd... why!?!?! just what i wanna do is get worse mileage
According to the Jeep XJ Owners manual there is no difference in gas mileage between 2wd and 4wd.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts