Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo. This is where I will document my build.
At time of purchase the Jeep is in decent mechanical condition runs and drives well body and unibody are solid.

Exterior Mods
  • A Good Cleaning-The PO used this jeep as a hunting vehicle DONE
  • Cladding - The cladding is missing but the little posts remain
  • Doors Squeak Fixed just took some lithium grease
  • Glass Hatch Latch The release button does not do anything
  • Tires Will be upgrading to some new tires soon
  • Front Bumper
  • Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier
  • Roof Basket
  • Rock Sliders
  • Fender Flares and Liners
  • Head Light Upgrade Headlights are stock and suck
  • Hood This is a possibility not completely sure what I am looking for
  • Skid Plates
  • Spare Tire LED
  • Winch
Interior Mods
  • A Good Cleaning DONE
  • Front Door Panels they are separating and some of the trim is missing
  • Double Din Stereo (Custom Install)
  • Custom Speakers in Rear Hatch
  • New Door Speakers
  • Seat Covers
  • Floor Liners I have some cheap floor mats in that I got from walmart for the time being
  • Insulation Kit Insulate the doors and headliner
  • Headliner Done
Electrical Mods
  • 200 Amp Alternator
  • Big 3 Upgrade
  • Keyless Entry with Remote Start
  • Custom Lights in Rear Hatch
  • Flush mounted lights in Rear Bumper
  • Military Style Battery Terminals
  • Interior Lighting needs Fixed DONE I had a few blown fuses when I went through and checked all the fuses and replaced the blown ones the issue was fixed
  • Rear Passenger Blinker Issues
  • Air Compressor
  • Switch Panel for Accessories
Mechanical Mods
  • Rear Wiper DONE I had a few blown fuses when I went through and checked all the fuses and replaced the blown ones the issue was fixed
  • Lift I will only be doing a 2-3" budget boost anything more will require a modified inspection here and its a pain in the @$$
  • Sway Bar Disconnect
  • High Steer Conversion
  • Cold Air Intake
  • High Flow Exhaust and Cat
  • E Fan Conversion
  • Programmer/Throttle Commander
  • Steering Stabilizer

·
Registered
927 Posts
Welcome to the Build Thread! Enjoy and Build to your liking!

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Welcome to the forums, and am looking forward to seeing this build. I always like to see what other ZJ people are doing with their rig.

:worthlesswithoutpic:

·
Super Moderator
10,302 Posts
Welcome!

The Best Jeep people in the world hang out here. The amount of knowledge contain in these pages is enormous.

If you don't find what you are looking for by searching, Ask and ye shall receive!

Oh, and pics. we love pics!!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Welcome! looking forward to a new ZJ build here. Where are you located?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome!

The Best Jeep people in the world hang out here. The amount of knowledge contain in these pages is enormous.

If you don't find what you are looking for by searching, Ask and ye shall receive!

Oh, and pics. we love pics!!

As far as searching I’m looking for info to help with all of the above fixes and mods

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went on a short trip and it turns out I’ll be replacing my alternator sooner rather than later it kept ceasing to charge I’d have to pull over and tap on it and continue driving I will be going with a 200 amp alternator I also was able to crawl underneath it I have a small exhaust leak in the muffler no big deal until it’s time for an inspection and I have to tighten the e-brake I also redid my headliner

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
10,302 Posts
What part of WV? I'm just over the border in Pee Yay! :D

200 amp wow thats beefy. May want to upgrade the wiring. I just put a 120 amp in mine and upgraded the wiring. But it would easily handle a 160 amp.

Nice job on the liner, is that speaker carpet?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What part of WV? I'm just over the border in Pee Yay! :D

200 amp wow thats beefy. May want to upgrade the wiring. I just put a 120 amp in mine and upgraded the wiring. But it would easily handle a 160 amp.

Nice job on the liner, is that speaker carpet?

I’m near Charleston WV

The 200 amp has a 170 amp output my ZJ has a 120 amp as factory I’m going to try it as is and see what happens before I dive in on the wiring also as of right now I’m not running anything extra but will be in the future.

The liner is actually felt from everything I saw on YouTube and read online it said to use fleece because of its stretchy properties but I couldn’t find it in the color I wanted so I chose the felt I also chose it so it wouldn’t get those little fleece boogers all over the place. The felt is also more puncture resistant than the fleece I’m quite happy with how it turned out and FYI you need at minimum 2.5 yards go with 3 for good measure just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
10,302 Posts
I’m near Charleston WV

The 200 amp has a 170 amp output my ZJ has a 120 amp as factory I’m going to try it as is and see what happens before I dive in on the wiring also as of right now I’m not running anything extra but will be in the future.

The liner is actually felt from everything I saw on YouTube and read online it said to use fleece because of its stretchy properties but I couldn’t find it in the color I wanted so I chose the felt I also chose it so it wouldn’t get those little fleece boogers all over the place. The felt is also more puncture resistant than the fleece I’m quite happy with how it turned out and FYI you need at minimum 2.5 yards go with 3 for good measure just saying.

Have you ever hit the Hatfield and McCoys trails? I wanna bring my Rhino down someday! Zoom Zoom

3 Yards, Gotcha. Mine has been hanging for years. I wear a ball cap so it doesn't bug me too much. Thank God for dome lights! :D

I was thinking something black but run some little tiny led lights all over it so it looks like the night sky when the dome light is on. Theory sounds good, But it will probably flop! :roftl:

Gonna have to meet up somewhere and hit some trails!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you ever hit the Hatfield and McCoys trails? I wanna bring my Rhino down someday! Zoom Zoom

3 Yards, Gotcha. Mine has been hanging for years. I wear a ball cap so it doesn't bug me too much. Thank God for dome lights! :D

I was thinking something black but run some little tiny led lights all over it so it looks like the night sky when the dome light is on. Theory sounds good, But it will probably flop! :roftl:

Gonna have to meet up somewhere and hit some trails!

The only time I’ve been on the Hatfield McCoy trails was for rescues when I worked EMS down that way.

Mine was peeling on the edge I’m 6’4” it kept hitting my head.

The tiny lights sounds like a great idea maybe possibly 1” lights that flush mount in the headliner wired into the dome light harness

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I have some pieces from my truck and decided to take my light controller and mount it into my Jeep I have only done the first part at this point which is the actual control head I will probably mount the box near the amplifier. Unfortunately when I got rid of my truck I went cut happy instead of taking my time so I need to get some wire and an rj45 cable then I can wire in the box and when I get the lights I want I can wire those into the box and have a clean switch panel.
Before:

After:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They aren’t small but I wasn’t actually looking for them just stumbled upon them.

Infidel 6 out

·
Super Moderator
10,302 Posts
They are designed to run on 3 AA batteries, so 4.5 volts. I was think of using a USB plug in car charger which has an output of 5 volts.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts