Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, as you can see I'm new to the forum and will most likely have many stupid newbie questions:) and my name is Hybrid like my company Hybrid Industries... not the Prius :) anyways, my Cherokee has always been stock until recently. I installed my first lift kit a Rancho 3.5" kit I bought from Craigslist. The kit consisted of Springs, Add a Leaf, Shocks, and Trac Bars. After installing the kit everything felt great. Felt stiff again (my old stock shocks were completely wore out) then a few days after I was driving on the freeway doing 70 when it felt like my front end was coming off. We're talking massive shaking...felt like my wheels were coming off. Shook for a few harsh seconds then went away. First thing I did was get the jeep home and double check my work. Everything looked good, nothing loose from the lift I installed. However through checking everything over I seen I am in need of a balljoint and a U joint on the front drivers side. First thought was there is the source of the shaking... but I have to wonder why did this shaking occur only after installing the new lift, not before? Maybe a stupid question... please let me know any suggestions you have.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Sounds to me like a classic case of 'death wobble'. Double check your trackbar bushings for tightness. You can even try rocking the steering wheel back and forth while in Park with the engine off...look for slight body movement before the wheels start to turn. If there is movement, that might be the cause of the 'death wobble'.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
My kit (I suspect all) say to have a front end alignment done after the lift is installed. Did you have a front end alignment done?

From what I have read this is classic "death wobble". I think they call it death since you think you are going to die! lol

Worn out front end parts, and/or front end mis-alignment.

Certainly a new lift would cause a change in the front end alignment.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Get your front end aligned. That's the problem.

·
Premium Member
9,253 Posts
X4 on the alignment. Also when you lift an XJ the castor angle changes slightly to the positive. Then if there is anything loose like your ball joint or a track bar bushing, it will be accentuated. Get your ball joint replaced, get an alignment done, also check your track bar bushing by getting someone to move your steering wheel back and forth while watching it. Lastly, check your steering dampener.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help guys, you guys are fast! I'll schedule an alignment first thing, should I do this before I replace my U and Ball Joint or after? Or does it matter? Just making sure when I replace them I wont screw up my alignment again.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
do it after.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I seen there was a write up in the forums about changing the front U joints,how about ball joints? anything? or is this something very easy and straight forward?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It is a PITA on a pinto thats all I know.

·
Registered
378 Posts
thanks for the help guys, you guys are fast! I'll schedule an alignment first thing, should I do this before I replace my U and Ball Joint or after? Or does it matter? Just making sure when I replace them I wont screw up my alignment again.
u-joints won't make any difference.

balljoints would only make a difference to caster and camber (which aren't what's causing your problem), and that's only if there's actually slop in the balljoints.

·
Registered
42 Posts
if you had a new adjustable trackbar installed and didnt have it adjusted right would that cause the death wobble he's experiencing?

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
see how great this place is?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I would have them checked before I replaced anything. If you are not experienced you can cause a problem where there was none to start with.

You can also get a alignment that entitles you to follow up alignments. That way if you change a front end part you take it back and they'll adjust it for you. I did this after I replaced the wheel bearing assemblies.

·
Registered
378 Posts
if you had a new adjustable trackbar installed and didnt have it adjusted right would that cause the death wobble he's experiencing?
no, it shouldn't

·
Registered
444 Posts
hey didnt read everyone elses posts lol feelin lazy but you need to reset you tow on your tie rod.. you can do it yourself just pick a common point on the tires that you can pull an accurate measurement from... put it in neutral.. take a measurement inside of tire to inside of tire just below the axle tube then roll it forward and measure the same exact spot on the tires when that point on the tire is just below the axle tube.. i have a tow in bar so it makes it much easier than using a tape measure.. but the front half of the tires need to be set an 1/8" of an inch closer together than the rear half of the tire.. this is call being an 1/8" towed in.. thats exactly where you want it.. ill try and draw a picture on paint in a little bit to better describe it if this is too confusing..

·
Registered
444 Posts
and the only things that can cause death wobble are tire balance, tow incorrectly set, or rod ends not completely tight..
so make sure you throw a wrench on ALL of your rod ends.. make sure they're tight..

·
Registered
444 Posts
you dont need to waste $60 bucks on an alignment.. its simply your tow.. you can to this yourself i promise you haha..

·
Registered
444 Posts

thats the only picture of my steering i had lol bare with me

SO the red line that goes tire to tire is your starting point.. take that measurement.. then roll your jeep forward.. make sure your wheel is set to where it will roll forward and backward straight..
so take your first measurement where the red line is..
then roll your jeep forward so the red line is now where the yellow line is.. then take that measurement.. im sure it will be about 3/4 - 1" longer in on the rear half of the tire compared to the front..

if thats the case take the keeper sleeve lookin things loose and make your tie rod LONGER.. this will push the front half of your tires apart.. go a little bit at a time..

it needs to be set to where the rear half of the tires are 1/8" further apart than the front half of the tires..

is this making sense?? lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts