Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to install an aftermarket tachometer on my 89 xj 4.0.
and the instructions say to hook the one wire up to the negative coil wire?
only problem is theres like 3 or 4 wires going to the coil?
anyone no which one I should tap into?

·
Banned
27 Posts
What color are the wires going to the coil? is it an aftermarket coil? HEI or does it look like a black soda can. If you look closely at the coil, it should be marked on the top with a - and a +. Most are.

·
Registered
107 Posts
if its on youe 89 XJ its the green and white wire comming off the coil. just did mine tonight.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I was wanting to install an aftermarket tachometer on my 89 xj 4.0.
and the instructions say to hook the one wire up to the negative coil wire?
only problem is theres like 3 or 4 wires going to the coil?
anyone no which one I should tap into?
Ok, old fart's dumb question time:

If the factory tach is working, why put in an aftermarket one?

I've driven trucks and done a bit of racing (not "legal" racing anyway) and the only time I've wanted the tach in my line of sight is when racing.

While driving truck, I usually shifted by ear after I got the feel of the engine.

Like I said, just a dumb question.

Budd

·
Registered
934 Posts
Ok, old fart's dumb question time:

If the factory tach is working, why put in an aftermarket one?

I've driven trucks and done a bit of racing (not "legal" racing anyway) and the only time I've wanted the tach in my line of sight is when racing.

While driving truck, I usually shifted by ear after I got the feel of the engine.

Like I said, just a dumb question.

Budd
Unless he has the low line cluster which did not include a tach?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yah mine didn't have a tach, even with a manual trans

·
Registered
285 Posts
88fadedglory, Its because everyone wants to be like a honda and have a 8 inch tach mounted on the dash.:cheers:

·
Registered
285 Posts
lol

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
88fadedglory, Its because everyone wants to be like a honda and have a 8 inch tach mounted on the dash.:cheers:
:rofl:

Yep, know what you mean.

Had one of them guys in front of me in the round-a-bout today. It was funny watching him try to see around a huge tach, squint thru all the decals, text on one phone, talk on another, shift gears and select a cd to play at the same time . . . .

And yes, we were going that slow ... or maybe he didn't want to pop one of those rubber band tires on a tar strip or hang up his body mods on a shadow . . . . . . .

Budd

·
Registered
439 Posts
:rofl:

or maybe he didn't want to pop one of those rubber band tires on a tar strip or hang up his body mods on a shadow . . . . . . .

Budd
:rofl::rofl:

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Why not just swap your cluster for one with a tach? Granted the mileage will be off, but I'm pretty sure they're direct swaps.

I for like having all the gauges, not just the idiot lights. When I drive a manual trans I also shift by ear and not by tach, but for wheeling I find it helpful to have the tach.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just didn't see the point in trying to find a cluster with a tach that hopefully worked, hope it worked when I plugged it in, not to mention what I'd have to spend on it.

When I picked up a tach at work for like $15

1 - 15 of 15 Posts