Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm seeing this is a fairly common problem, I was working on replacing a brake line in my 1998 cherokee sport last weekend and when I went to take her for a test ride I noticed I lost the entire instrument cluster... I know the speedo, tack, odometer, oil pressure and temp were all working not sure about the voltage meter... So I'm seeing that this is a common problem and was possibly considering doing away with the entire stock instrument panel.. I guess where I'm trying to go with this is I am considering getting rid of the stock gauges and going all aftermarket.
I'm wondering if anyone else out there did something similar and if so could you make any recommendations to equipment used or pointers...I'm partial to aftermarket gauges basically because of accuracy and partially cause they look good....lol.....thanks for the help and advise, much appreciated...
AJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the fuses, as well as the hot to the cluster from the fuse and back to the battery. Next plan is the grounds and then the connectors. Not liking this instrument panel

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hit the top of the dash and see if the instruments come to life.

There's a Technical Service Bulletin that addresses instrument clusters going dead. It basically requires splicing in a new connector to the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay well I checked the grounds...checked the power and now have ripped the dash apart and removed the instrument cluster and cleaned the connectors....still got nothing. So the only thing left would be to cut out the old connectors and re-splice in new ones....man I don't wanna to that crap!!!! Lol
I'm thinking may just go with all aftermarket gauges , speedo and tach.....trace out the indicator lights and do it custom....any thoughts on gauges?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1999 XJ - and the instrument cluster occassionaly stops working -- with mine, if you push on it towards the bottom (nearest the odo reset) it will reseat and continue working for months. This is the second instrument cluster - I replaced the original due to the same issue you are experiencing with a used cluster from eBay $35

·
Registered
226 Posts
Have the local dealer test your ECU, it is data lines (digital 1 & 0) that send the info to the cluster from the ECU. You can’t easily by-pass the gauge cluster because the ECU interfaces with the cluster. The cluster acts like a mini-BCM, there will be no easy way to drive a check engine light if you remove the cluster, if you need the check engine light for IM test you will be in trouble, not to mention the fact that you will not know when you have an ECU problem. If it is not data inputs then it is power or ground, you need to test the leads, that is if it is not a bad connection at the plug, which it usually is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had somewhat of the same problem with my 98 jeep grand Cherokee, I had to jump start it because I let it sit to long without starting it then I drove it a short distant and everything was fine then I rolled my window down and when I tried to roll the window back up it would not roll up and I noticed the gauges stopped working so I called my Son and he came by and checked the fuses then hit the dash a few times and then turn the light dimmer up and down and the stuff started working again, hope it stays that way/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts