Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a friend that had a 2000 Grand Cherokee and when you closed the door the interior lights slowly dimmed and went off. Is there any way I can make the interior lights do that in my 2000 XJ? I figure it is only a different style of relay, is that correct?:dunno:

Appreciate any info on how or if I can do this.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I had a friend that had a 2000 Grand Cherokee and when you closed the door the interior lights slowly dimmed and went off. Is there any way I can make the interior lights do that in my 2000 XJ? I figure it is only a different style of relay, is that correct?:dunno:

Appreciate any info on how or if I can do this.
I'd have to check to make sure they don't make bulbs that would do this, but it basically sounds like a voltage stepper. It would start at 12 volts and drop to 0, at preset intervals. I could be wrong but I don't think a relay would do this. I'll poke around on the Internet and see what I can find. I've never been inside a grand Cherokee so I didn't know they had this option.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I poked around on Google and found this info. Apparently it is done using a capacitor. It charges it up when you open the door, and when you close it the power [12 volts] is switched off. The capacitor slowly bleeds down and the lights go out.

I don't know if that is how Jeep does it, but it seems that might be able to all fit into a relay. More investigating is in order!

Google is YOUR friend!

·
Registered
934 Posts
IIRC, it does use a capacitor, but I think it is integrated into the BCM (Body Control Module). I'm sure it is possible to make something work though...

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
I know Ford does this with a lighting contol module

1 - 6 of 6 Posts