Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Cherokee Fans,

My friend just bought a Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 6 cylinder model and was wondering if there are any known defects or weaknesses to be aware of?

Just had AC recharged because the previous owner said it was not cold and never fixed it because she was going to move and sell it, so didn't bother to fix. Now it seems ok.

Engine is sort of noisy, but I understand that is somewhat normal for Cherokees. Trying not to get paranoid about it.

I tried to research the car through "how stuff works consumer reports", but didn't find much at all about the 1998 models.

Thanks,
Whiterobin

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
1998 is a good model year...last year of the ZJ, most of the "quirks" had been worked out by that point!

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I own a 98' ZJ... Outside of some wiring harness shorts, I am extremely satisfied with my rig. I bought my ZJ down in scottsdale, AZ about four years ago. The odometer had 118k, and had been rolled before I purchased it. The car fax report had my ZJ originally running around the pacific northwest when it was new. The ppl had it as a tow behind hooked up to their RV. It rolled down an imbankment. The car has shown incredible resilience over the four years of rugged mountain hills and snow. I have taken it up to 12k feet above sea level and driven it cross country five times. It has done nothing but run like a champ and ask for more... I have some wiring shorts in my upper passenger side harness that lead to the dome lights to draw power when not circuitly on.. but extremely strong motor, trans and 4WD. Love it, and will drive this rig to the boneyard.. I love my 1998 and you will too... well at least after it has been lifted at least 3"...

·
Registered
28 Posts
My only issue with it is that its a 2wd! Jeep made a 2wd? I had a 94 ZJ that went anywhere I pointed it, super strong and more comfortable than a Cadilac! Its amazing how smooth it was at 45mph and flying through the desert washes and brush!
Yours ought to last much longer since my son wont be able to drive it, lol!
Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts