Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Nice looking WJ. I found one like that up in the mountains. I deleted the pic or I would post it for you. The biggest thing that would deter me from the WK is the lack of a solid front axle. You can fabricate anything I suppose, but having a solid front axle rig to start with makes things much easier. The 02 and up 4.7 has more horsepower and if you take the time to swap the heads and intake to an 08 and up you can get 310 hp out of it. Not too shabby with factory parts. The 4.7 has some lubrication problems, but in my book that thin as water oil from the factory does not belong in an engine with any milage on it, or in an off road rig either

Reactions: JaceDaFace

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
So what part of the world are you in?

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Good to know. I am from CA on the west coast. Not too familiar with the geography and highway maintenance there, but if you are getting an XJ they have some problems with salt on roads. They use it here to thaw ice on the roads. So check your undercarriage for rust. Also two engines available there as far as I know. 2.5L diesel, and the 4.0L gas. the gas motor will last you the longest. The 4.0L and AW4 transmission will easily go 300 thousand miles or nearly 500,000 K with normal maintenance.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
WJ stuff is priced higher here too. Beware of rust on them too

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
The only things I can tell you are mostly from gutting one for parts. I have the 4.7 and tranny :D

As far as interiors go, they have nicer seats than the XJ. So I put them in my XJ. The softer leather seats I would stay away from. The leather cracks on them. Mine are the stiffer leather, full power. Those seam to hold up well. Cloth seems to hold up well to. And yes, most of them have darker interiors. The infinity sound system is nice, but not up to big bucks (pounds) systems. They have a 6X9 base in the door, tweeters in the dash and 6" rounds in the passenger door. Heated seats are available. Not sure about the brake indicator in the door. I haven't seen one of those yet. If you get one, ditch that thin as water oil the factory recommends, it will cause premature wear in the engine after 100,000 miles. You can get them with two transfer cases. The NP239 is most common and is a full time AWD with a locked low range. The clutches in it can wear out and get stiff and chatter. The 242 is a better long milage case and gives you the option of just 2WD for a little better milage. Full time 4WD seems to give you a big hit in milage for all models of cars. For instance my 88 Ford Crown Victoria with a 5.0, weighing 4000 pounds and a squared of body gets the same milage as an aerodynamical Subaru with a 2.5L engine with AWD. Oh, and one other thing. The 45RE tranny behind the 4.7 can be reprogrammed to give you a final drive ratio of .5 and in theory you can get better milage out of it

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Cheers mate. Just a heads up on that seat. You an swap the cushions on the seat frame, or get some nice fresh passenger cushions from a wrecking yard

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
If the 4.7 has intermittant grey smoke I would be wary of it. That is probably a sign it has head gasket issues or even a crack somewhere. It will get hot easily, go through coolant and get really hot if you get on the throttle. But if you are willing to do the repairs, then if it is cheap enough. The rest of the stuff is minor

The 4.0 looks to be in much better shape

1 - 7 of 7 Posts