Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi my friends! Ok not sure if this is the way to introduce oneself? But I thought let’s give it a try! So, man, Wow! I’ve fallen in love with Cherokees big time!!! Especially WJ’s & XJ’s customised. I am yet to buy one so am looking, I am building up my funds & hoping to find my new friend shortly! But I have some questinks I be grateful for advise with before I make my purchase! I don’t know ish about how you go about things or if they’re even possible, but I have an idea which I hope is doable?

I love what people do when they customise WJ’s!!! Incredible man! But my idea Is. I really actually like the interior & one of the engines of the WK range! I’m looking at the WK 5.7 V8 Hemi to start as my base! But I’m not digging the bonnet/hood or headlights! So, I’m wondering? Is there’s any chance at all, to fit the WJ’s Bonnet/Hood & Headlights on to the WK’s body?! With the WKs interior & the bonnet/hood & headlights of the WJ I think it would look amazing! Also I love the cut fender look with large mud tyres & Bull Bar Winch Front Bumper! Looks like a wild beast!

So I’m wondering are these changes to revert to the WJ hood & Headlights possible on the WK?

I originally wanted the 4.7 V8 Overland. Everyone online seems to like the engine! So I“m wondering, is the WK 5.7 Hemi better & faster than the 4.7 V8 Overland WJ engine?

If the 4.7 V8 is better then maybe I’ll stick with the WJ. But I’m hoping with the WK’s 5.7 engine & nice interior I could make it look like the WJ so I can do something like this underneath!!! :)

Thanks beforehand for any advise folks. I know it’ll be a while until I could do something like this image but man I’d like to start off with a great base & slowlybuild up to something really unique!! Cheers my friends at look forward to hearing for you all!

it look like the `WJ?
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum

Nice looking WJ. I found one like that up in the mountains. I deleted the pic or I would post it for you. The biggest thing that would deter me from the WK is the lack of a solid front axle. You can fabricate anything I suppose, but having a solid front axle rig to start with makes things much easier. The 02 and up 4.7 has more horsepower and if you take the time to swap the heads and intake to an 08 and up you can get 310 hp out of it. Not too shabby with factory parts. The 4.7 has some lubrication problems, but in my book that thin as water oil from the factory does not belong in an engine with any milage on it, or in an off road rig either
Ah Wow! Thanks for getting back to me & letting me know that info my friend!!! To know you can get over 300 bhp with some alteratons is a game changer!!! I loved the Speed I saw from a 4.7 V8 on YT. Then I learnt the Overlands have more bhp so was searching for them! I”m raising funds for a purchase but starting a square one, just want to find a solid base from which to build upon! Hopefully low on miles & not rusted out & clean interior. Shame about the WK, I did like the interior on them, but thanks for the heads up about the front axle, I thought they were all the same or even upgraded but seems like the did a lot to make the WJ’s stable!

I’m still reletively new to the car world. Purchase my first car in Nov 2017 & been slowly learning the terminology etc to know what people are saying so I don’t look like a total idiot. But still coming unstuck here n there things going over my head! But I’ll get there eventually.

But thanks again mate, appreciate your Input! I am raising the funds now selling on eB, so hope the next few days or weeks I’ll raise enough to get a decent beginning!

I’ll post some pics when I get it home! Thanks my friend!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi my friend, yeh apologies I didn’t introduce myself, still getting used to how Forums work. So yeh, I’m from London England, UK (probably have to update my profile for it to be visible)!

Yourself though, what part of the US are you from?

Dying to leave the UK, all I have is the US in my mind. Have to get some things in place first though, but hope it’s a possibility some day.

Nice one mate!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know. I am from CA on the west coast. Not too familiar with the geography and highway maintenance there, but if you are getting an XJ they have some problems with salt on roads. They use it here to thaw ice on the roads. So check your undercarriage for rust. Also two engines available there as far as I know. 2.5L diesel, and the 4.0L gas. the gas motor will last you the longest. The 4.0L and AW4 transmission will easily go 300 thousand miles or nearly 500,000 K with normal maintenance.
Apologies, was on the phone for ages! But nice to meet you my friend. Yeh, pretty bad for salt on motorway over here,so good to know about XJ’s. I’m looking at them also, but really feeling WJ’s. Only down side is UK prices for WJ parts in comparison to XJ’s are astronomical! And even if I buy cheaper in the US, the postage & customs charges are pretty high as well! WJ winch bumpers & long arm lift kits are between £2-£3000! XJ’s would be easier on my pocket, but the look of the WJ’s kitted out look amazing! But thanks for that info mate, very much appreciated!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WJ stuff is priced higher here too. Beware of rust on them too
Shame they’re so pricey man! Saw recently online that folks saying WJ’s are money pits in comparison to XJ’s. But in my eyes I guess it levels out with the end result! They do look amazing customised! But them again the XJ’s are really nice too! Seen some amazing custom XJ’s. I’ll see what comes along & make my decision in the moment.

Can I actually ask something about some WJ interiors. I‘ve seen some interiors of 4.7’s, they have like a brake or indicator light in the door card?

Do you know which models to look out for that have these lights?

It’s a cool idea but would love it in an Overland though haven’t seen it in everyone & only in darker interiors. Unless I’m mistaken & it’s another model I’m seeing?

But thanks for your time my friend. Very much appreciated. All the best mate!

Cheers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only things I can tell you are mostly from gutting one for parts. I have the 4.7 and tranny :D

As far as interiors go, they have nicer seats than the XJ. So I put them in my XJ. The softer leather seats I would stay away from. The leather cracks on them. Mine are the stiffer leather, full power. Those seam to hold up well. Cloth seems to hold up well to. And yes, most of them have darker interiors. The infinity sound system is nice, but not up to big bucks (pounds) systems. They have a 6X9 base in the door, tweeters in the dash and 6" rounds in the passenger door. Heated seats are available. Not sure about the brake indicator in the door. I haven't seen one of those yet. If you get one, ditch that thin as water oil the factory recommends, it will cause premature wear in the engine after 100,000 miles. You can get them with two transfer cases. The NP239 is most common and is a full time AWD with a locked low range. The clutches in it can wear out and get stiff and chatter. The 242 is a better long milage case and gives you the option of just 2WD for a little better milage. Full time 4WD seems to give you a big hit in milage for all models of cars. For instance my 88 Ford Crown Victoria with a 5.0, weighing 4000 pounds and a squared of body gets the same milage as an aerodynamical Subaru with a 2.5L engine with AWD. Oh, and one other thing. The 45RE tranny behind the 4.7 can be reprogrammed to give you a final drive ratio of .5 and in theory you can get better milage out of it
Ah mate, thanks so much for that information, really helps! Sorry for the delay in responding, things are full steam ahead at present got a lot going on (But who hasn’t!) Trying to raise more funds to make a decent purchase. Weirdly enough, there is an XJ that looks like a nice starter, though I’d really like a WJ. But I’m selling equipment on EB, but my gear just isn’t selling! But I have a couple of expensive parts for a PC build that I may think of selling, but not sure if I’ll regret doing so after the dust settles from the excitement of vehicle hunting! But everything you’ve written gives me a lot of knowledge I didn’t have before, so thanks my friend! I’ll see how things go & let you know my decision! Just hope either road I go down that I can make something amazing from wherever I start from! Wouldn’t mind owning both XJ & WJ but won’t have those funds for a while. Anyways, thanks again mate, hopefully over the next few weeks I’ll have made a decision & I’ll post some images of my new baby! But in all honesty after what you’ve said about the WJ it’s exciting man so do hope I can find one! I’ll let you know though either way & either way I can’t go wrong they’re both beautiful looking vehicles! But take care my friend. All the best & appreciate your time! Sincerely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only things I can tell you are mostly from gutting one for parts. I have the 4.7 and tranny :D

As far as interiors go, they have nicer seats than the XJ. So I put them in my XJ. The softer leather seats I would stay away from. The leather cracks on them. Mine are the stiffer leather, full power. Those seam to hold up well. Cloth seems to hold up well to. And yes, most of them have darker interiors. The infinity sound system is nice, but not up to big bucks (pounds) systems. They have a 6X9 base in the door, tweeters in the dash and 6" rounds in the passenger door. Heated seats are available. Not sure about the brake indicator in the door. I haven't seen one of those yet. If you get one, ditch that thin as water oil the factory recommends, it will cause premature wear in the engine after 100,000 miles. You can get them with two transfer cases. The NP239 is most common and is a full time AWD with a locked low range. The clutches in it can wear out and get stiff and chatter. The 242 is a better long milage case and gives you the option of just 2WD for a little better milage. Full time 4WD seems to give you a big hit in milage for all models of cars. For instance my 88 Ford Crown Victoria with a 5.0, weighing 4000 pounds and a squared of body gets the same milage as an aerodynamical Subaru with a 2.5L engine with AWD. Oh, and one other thing. The 45RE tranny behind the 4.7 can be reprogrammed to give you a final drive ratio of .5 and in theory you can get better milage out of it
Hi my friend, just thought i’d upload an image of the 4.7 Overland with the Brake/Indicator/Safety Light in the Door Panel bottom left!

nor sure exactly what part it plays but probably a safety light in case oncoming traffic & the doors open? Just a guess!

Anywho, all the best my friend! Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers mate. Just a heads up on that seat. You an swap the cushions on the seat frame, or get some nice fresh passenger cushions from a wrecking yard
Ah nice one, thanks for helping my friend! Very much appreciated! I’m actually bidding on an XJ & WJ right now, so let’s see what happens. Take care my friend!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hi my friend, hope all is well. Couldn’t see a way to simply send you a message. But in a situation & would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. There’s 2 situations I could face tomorrow or even later today. Can I pls ask.

1. Is it at all possible to upgrade up a 4.0 to a 4.7 V8 state, & then any possible improvements thereafter?

2. There’s a 4.7 V8 overland with 195.000 on the clock. It has intermittent grey smoke coming from the exhaust. Has a few electrical issues: heated seats dead air con needs charging & central locking has issues & floor panel rust but not structural! Seller says it has been the most reliable vehicle he’s ever owned & has tons of power & endless acceleration! But it needs a bit of TLC!! I am actually ok with that. Be a bit of an adventure!… But is it wise to go for something like this. Depending on how bidding goes it may end up being dirt cheap in comparison to others of this spec! Though I’m wondering if it’s worth the risk. Could it turn out to be a good buy at the right time. Or is it a potential money pit?

The 4.0 is in lovely condition & only £1500.00 which I can try to stretch. But if I can’t push the 4.0 anywhere near the 4.7 I think I’d regret not having that mystical power I’ve been so excited to have!

4.0: Auto Trader UK - New and Used Cars For Sale

4.7: Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 | eBay

I’m starting at Square one with a limited budget so looking for a possible diamond in the rough?

Anywho, I appreciate yourself or anyone elses thoughts. I have just over 24 hours to make a decision! So no stress :)

Thanks my friend. Have a great coming weekend. Look forward to reading your input. Sincerely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If the 4.7 has intermittant grey smoke I would be wary of it. That is probably a sign it has head gasket issues or even a crack somewhere. It will get hot easily, go through coolant and get really hot if you get on the throttle. But if you are willing to do the repairs, then if it is cheap enough. The rest of the stuff is minor

The 4.0 looks to be in much better shape
Hi mate, thanks for getting back to me. Sorry man, had stuff going on only just woke up after a very long night yesterday with family, so apologies for the delayed response! But yeh, I hear you my friend & appreciate you pointing me in the right direction, glad I asked & I can see you know your game man! I’ll be a bit more patient. In all honesty I either really want the 4.7 V8 Overland or an XJ but in a decent condition as I don’t know mechanics enough to save on labour! I need to raise more fund cos what I have isn’t sufficient for a decent first buy! I’ll keep persevering with it & see what comes up next. Take care then my friend. Thanks again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Il tell you why I think this you can buy what model you like it's your choice why I think they sick is because I had one .and it was the worst jeep I ever had and I have had many jeeps and still have the model after the wj was not the best they screwed up .and you all know it it's ugly it's got stupid bumper sensor realy like a jeep liver needs a back up sensor. The dash is plastic but has tire monitoring system realy the door belt moldings ...hmm can't fond a word to describe what they are. .crap is not accurate how about .look at the fender and light my cat hates that year jeep she said it looks like a mouse that has a short tail
Hi my friend, I agree, thanks for your input, very much appreciated mate! I’m just gonna see what extra funds I can raise. Would be nice just to get a solid base with no custom parts & then slowly build upon that base. I’m seelling gear on EB so fingers crossed I can up my game with what I have financally! But however it goes & whatever choice i make I’ll post it on this Thread & a thanks for everyone’s help! Anyways, take care my friend thanks for helping!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
What state are you in il tell you what year and what options to look for the wj has options very important of you want to keep it buy the right one that you will enjoy and not dump a lot of money they are 4x4 they have options it makes a huge difference .tell me about what you want to do drive daily book it up go off rode jump over traffic crush a ford .pull a ram out a hole or climb up the statue of liberty on the weekend. ..we can help you buy the jeep you need. Im a master frame tec il help you find a rusr free one and help you if it has any rust .they will all have rust I can teach you what not to buy and how to clean up the rusted that you do buy. They have rust rust is ok rot is not ok wear thr rust is very important rust can be stoped ..the correct way . Not buy converting it convert what rust in to what it's rust it's not converterable. Converter it means convert you money into a brush . Lol. Read the label people. If it was that easy bridges would never be sandblasted
Hi mate, yeh, I’m actually in the UK in London. So nowhere near as huge as the automotive game is in your neck of the woods!!! I mainly use Autotrader & eBay for my searches. A little worried where will I go for parts once I do buy into the Cherokee ecosystem! But may have to just get them from the US & pay the crazy Customs Charges! Wish I live in the US myself, maybe one day! But for now it’s cloudy London :( But thanks again my friend. Sorry I just saw that I re0lied to your 2nd message first but thank you for your time & input! All the best mate! Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts