Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
it seems like you should be able to remove the uj where it sits? or at least not pull out the entire axle shaft to change it. eww yeah i can see why now but im curious the write up doesnt say much about removing the axle

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i see what size is that axle nut if u know real quick.. i have to go buy the socket it looks like. whats the deal with removing the axle? should i be checking anything else while im doing this?
if i pull the axle out wont stuff leak out?

·
Registered
600 Posts
It is not a necessity to disconnect the unit bearing from the axle shaft, although it does make things easier. All you need to do is unbolt the 3, 12 pt 13 mm(I think) bolts. After taking off the brake caliper of course.

If you do decide to disconnect the unit bearing from the shaft,I 'm almost positive its a 36mm nut. Make sure you have long cheater bar ready, bc that thing will be b*tch to take off. Also make sure the torque it down to 175 ft/lbs when putting it back on.

Oh and gear oil might leak out once you take the shaft out, although it wont be much.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is not a necessity to disconnect the unit bearing from the axle shaft, although it does make things easier.

I'm almost positive its a 36mm nut. Also make sure the torque it down to 175 ft/lbs when putting it back on.

Oh and gear oil might leak out once you take the shaft out, although it wont be much.
thanks quinn yeah it looks like 36mm i had one too":( keep losing tools

·
Registered
307 Posts
answer;

no

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
There's no reason NOT to pull the axle shaft. You'll lose a very little amount of diff fluid, but nothing to worry about. As long as you've got the right tools, changing a front u-joint is a cinch.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Nice write-up Whowey. U-joints take no time at all to swap out.

As for the 36MM socket - that size is correct. A word of caution though, get yourself a 6 point socket and not a 12 point socket. The last thing you want to do is to accidentally strip that nut. It's like $10-$15 for an impact quality 6-point 36MM... a good investment.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Changing out the axle u-joint was extremely easy to do. Now my wheel bearing assembly wasn't "welded" to my rig. After 100k miles it came right off, so from what I have read I may have been pretty lucky.

I just got that big socket from Sears, 1/2" of course.

I waited and changed out the wheel bearing assembly's at the same time as the axle u-joints. Wow what a smooth ride.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Nice write-up Whowey. U-joints take no time at all to swap out.

As for the 36MM socket - that size is correct. A word of caution though, get yourself a 6 point socket and not a 12 point socket. The last thing you want to do is to accidentally strip that nut. It's like $10-$15 for an impact quality 6-point 36MM... a good investment.
I wish that was the case with my xj. Driver's side u-joint took 30 minutes to change. Passenger side u-joint took 4 hours to change. :brickwall:

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I wish that was the case with my xj. Driver's side u-joint took 30 minutes to change. Passenger side u-joint took 4 hours to change. :brickwall:
Mine was longer. The next day!!!! I went to Autozone and got the big "C" clamp the u-joints came right out. I suspect I could change out u-joints, wheel bearings, and do a brake job in 2 hours now!!!!

OH yea, I forgot to mention that. Don't try removing the u-joints with a hammer and a socket, get that tool I mentioned above. It looks like a big C clamp and it has a place for a air tool. I just used a wrench to turn it, worked fine. Stubborn u-joint cap was out in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
just so you know if you have the c clamp muddy is talking about you can change the uj without taking the shaft out of the housing. a friend and I did it once jst to see if it could be done. and yes you can. it takes a but to fit stuff and you need the front end up and off the ground so you can spin eerything but, yes it can be done.
we did it so to see if it could be done just incase we had to on the trail and did not want to take everything apart or could not take everything apart.
I bought a c clamp and it would not fit in the space and then got a different one that would. I have to change the ones in the 91 soon and a coil spring. I might just do in in the jeep ( if I can remeber how we did it, that was 10 years ago) and take pics..

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Mine was longer. After I went to Autozone and got the big "C" clamp the u-joints came right out. I suspect I could change out u-joints, wheel bearings, and do a brake job in 2 hours now!!!!

OH yea, I forgot to mention that. Don't try removing the u-joints with a hammer and a socket, get that tool I mentioned above. It looks like a big C clamp and it has a place for a air tool. I just used a wrench to turn it, worked fine. Stubborn u-joint cap was out in 5 minutes.
I used to use a hammer and socket when i had my wrangler. I replaced u-joints and bearings on a yearly basis cuz of all the muddin so they came out rather easy. When i tackled the xj, OMFG was i ticked off when it came to the passenger side. I broke my friend's c-press (same one i have) and then tried wacking it with a sledge hammer but no luck. Next came the big dog, THE PRESS. We stuck it on there and cranked down on it......and nothing. A little more crankin till we were hangin on the handle bar and still nothing. One tap with the hammer and BOOOOOOOOM! The cap of the u-joint broke but it was STILL stuck in there. After fighting for another two hours, we finally got it out but the ears were all screwed up so we fixed them the best we could and put everything back together. What a nightmare.

Getting the rotors off the hub was another story. I swear someone plucked this dana 30 from the bottom of the ocean....30 years later.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I used to use a hammer and socket when i had my wrangler. I replaced u-joints and bearings on a yearly basis cuz of all the muddin so they came out rather easy. When i tackled the xj, OMFG was i ticked off when it came to the passenger side. I broke my friend's c-press (same one i have) and then tried wacking it with a sledge hammer but no luck. Next came the big dog, THE PRESS. We stuck it on there and cranked down on it......and nothing. A little more crankin till we were hangin on the handle bar and still nothing. One tap with the hammer and BOOOOOOOOM! The cap of the u-joint broke but it was STILL stuck in there. After fighting for another two hours, we finally got it out but the ears were all screwed up so we fixed them the best we could and put everything back together. What a nightmare.

Getting the rotors off the hub was another story. I swear someone plucked this dana 30 from the bottom of the ocean....30 years later.
Something simalar happened to me. One side right out with the hammer and a socket. The other side I beat on that cap for 4 hours!!! I finally gave up posted a WTF!?!?!!? question on the NAXJA board and someone told me about the tool that autoparts places would let you use for free.

Called, then went down and picked up the big "C" clamp. Never seen anything like that before. It took me about 30 minutes to get those caps pressed out. One cap that I had beat so long and hard (thank you) had a small hole in it from all the abuse. It literally crumbled from the pressure of the "C" clamp, but it was out!

Anyway I learned my lesson. Big "C" clamp from now on.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The picture in my write-up is one from Harbor Freight. I believe I payed about $20 for it on sale, and I have used it a TON of times... More than payed for itself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts