Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting some mud tires but most of my driving is on the street. Is there a mud tire that will last longer than 15,000, or an AT that will do good in the mud as well as the street?

·
Registered
444 Posts
most mud tires last longer than 15K.. if your looking for a good road tire MT you might consider the Toyo MT's they are in no way the best off road tire but they're not too noisey and they tend to outlast the majority of other MT's..

definitely get them siped if you buy them new, if you buy them used take them to your local tire store and they can sipe them up.. i use to work for les schwab tires.. **its a huge west coast tire company** and siping makes a HUGE difference on and off road and will help your tires last longer

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm thinking of getting some mud tires but most of my driving is on the street. Is there a mud tire that will last longer than 15,000, or an AT that will do good in the mud as well as the street?
ATs don't do well in mud, that why they have MTs. :D

As long as you don't buy a ProComp MT tire, it should last far longer than 15k. We've run BFG MTs on both our Jeeps in the past and got probably around 30k out of them. Lasted just as long as the BFG ATs I had on before that.

X2 on the siping suggestion. Siping is when a tire shop cuts lots of little slits in the tread blocks of your tire. Most all ATs are siped from the factory. Some MTs are as well.

The great and powerful Google knows all...

BFG MT that's been siped.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I don't use trxus they are hard to balance from what I have read about them they are good in mud.Have you looked at cooper discoverer s\t it's an aggresive tread all terrian tire had a set on my tj got around 40 thousand miles did great off road or on the highway

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
The BFG MT's will provide you with a pretty long service life. Most that I have had experience with have lasted the owners between 30,000 and 40,000 miles. They're my top recommendation. They also balance pretty well, and are offered in a TON of sizes.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The BFG MT's will provide you with a pretty long service life. Most that I have had experience with have lasted the owners between 30,000 and 40,000 miles. They're my top recommendation. They also balance pretty well, and are offered in a TON of sizes.
I would not recommend them for the rocks though, as their sidewall is not as strong as other mud terrains.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
X2 on the siped BFGs. Mine have about 20 thousand on them and are half gone.

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
what about the TrXus MT, anyone run these? The local shop is trying to talk me into them.
dont know the TrXus i have now the buckshots are like sand and rock tires or something... they are reliable so far on and offroad but then again i havnt been able to get it offroad for long yet.... soon... very soon....

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I would not recommend them for the rocks though, as their sidewall is not as strong as other mud terrains.
Eh, I do agree that I've heard the same things about their sidewalls, but in my opinion, if a rock wants your tire, it's going to get it. I can't imagine that the differences in sidewall strength are that drastic among the various choices until you hit competition level tires. I am open-minded though, so feel free to school me :thumbsup:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Eh, I do agree that I've heard the same things about their sidewalls, but in my opinion, if a rock wants your tire, it's going to get it. I can't imagine that the differences in sidewall strength are that drastic among the various choices until you hit competition level tires. I am open-minded though, so feel free to school me :thumbsup:
Dave I don't recall where I saw it, but I remember seeing information on the thickness of each layer of the sidewall for a couple different tire brands. Let me see if I can dig up the information.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been looking at the cooper stt's also, any thoughts on them?
I've been running them for a little under a year now and love them. Good treadwear characteristics, awesome grip off road and pretty darn good on the street for an m/t. I'd definitely get them again. Maybe just a little bigger next time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been running Cooper Discover STT's for two years now. They're 31s and as an off road tire they have been incredible in mud, snow and sand. I air down to 15 lbs. I run open diffs and have gotten through some mud and ice that rigs running 35s with lockers needed to be winched. For highway driving, the Coopers are noisy but I don't mind. They are very bad on ice and I have to really pay attention during winter driving in the city. Siping would be a good idea but its time intensive. I've put on about 50k and the tread is a little more than 1/2 of original depth. I'll probably replace them this summer. I may move up to 32's or 33's but they will be Coopers.

If your looking for a good daily driver tire that would be good for light off-road duty, then I'd suggest Goodyear Silent Armour. I put these on the wife's Grand Cherokee (which she doesn't allow to go off-roading (DARN!)) and these tires are awesome in snow and are incredible on ice. They wouldn't do as well in the mud and stuff I go through in the XJ.

So, you have to decide. You can't have a tire with an aggressive tread that would be a good daily driver tire.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts