Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a guys house to get an NP242 out of a 91 XJ, ended up leaving with the front and rear axles, both drive shafts... The jeep had ABS so the front axle has the axle shafts with the 297 u-joints, rear was a D35 (spare parts till I can get a 8.25) Plus the spare drive shafts might come in handy. I plan to rebuild the front axle for sure. Get it all cleaned up and so on and toss it in the jeep. All of this for $100....I figure I got a pretty good deal..

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shoot yeah..in great condition other then being greasy and grimy.. Plan is to rebuild the front axle...new gears and locker will have to wait.. Then swap em out.. going to rebuilt the t-case and do the hack-n-tap off the jeep then install it and use the front drive shaft for the rear. The rear axle well it's just for parts...but I may for now do the disc break upgrade since it can also be used on the 8.25 when I find one for the right price. I looked at local JY's and the 242 around here for for arond $300+ alone so I was pretty darn happy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You did OKC. I don't suppose I could talk you out of that 91 ABS front D30.......LOL. Good score, Bro!!!:rock:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also just looked up the serial numbers on the rear diff...It's limited slip...granted it's a D35 but I might clean it up and use it till I can get either e D44 or 8.25 from another XJ...Would a Limited Slip be worth it over an open carrier?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
sounds like a good deal to me. to test the limited slip I have one in the d44 on one of the mjs. I would think ( could be wrong but worked for me) put the housing on blocks so hubs are off the ground. turn one side. a normal open carrirer the opposite hub that you are turning will go the opposite way then the one you are trning in your hand.
after you try that stop it from turning.
give the hub a real fast turn as fast as you can. the other side will turn in the same direction as you are turning. now I did this with mine after looking to see it the teath inside the pot were ok and it worked great.
I have driven the truck after doing this and when one wheel starts to spin they both do. no problems at all.
you can try it.
someone may have a better way but this worked for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts