Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

It's a Jeep thing they say

1K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  Gluckmysock 
Hello and welcome to the forum. These Jeeps are notorious for thin wiring and bad grounds. check the grounds on the fender and at the block. Check the wiring that goes behind the valve cover it can rub against a valve cover bolt and short out.

My cam sensor on my 96 went bad and caused a no start for me. You don't have a distributor cap like i do you just have a little cam sensor where the distributor would be. you can check that sensor. It it just used for fuel timing. Also, you have have coil packs. only 3 for a 6 cylinder engine. Which is defined as a lost spark ignition, which means 2 plugs fire at the same time, but only the cylinder on compression stroke will have fuel and ignite. Check the wires into the coil packs.

I am still puzzled by the door issue causing it to die. Do you have power windows and locks? There is a rubber boot between the door and door jamb. check the wiring inside this boot it's very thin and brittle.

When you turn the key on, do you hear the fuel pump prime for 2 seconds then shut off?

H
And our jeep has a distributor and 1 coil pack. We have a 99 Jeep Cherokee classic 4.0l
a 99 with a distributor and 1 coil. Ok, my bad. I thought that changed in 99 must not have been until 2000. ok I have attached a bunch of docs for the start procedure and ECM inputs. follow these charts and hopefully something will present itself.

Attachments

and more.

know this is a lot but having this is your hand to refer to can help eliminate some of the possible culprits. having to unplug sensors then replug them leads me to believe the ECM is getting a bad signal from somewhere, and stays latched until you reset everything.

Attachments

you won't see that in a service manual. But I am glad you got it solved. This is one of the reasons we don't recommend throwing parts at them. I figured it was a wiring issue, and they can be maddening to find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.