Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bought a 1996 jeep cherokee 2.5L 4x4 5 speed 2 door. It's all stock all the way down to the Flintstone floor boards. 186xxx miles and ac/heat both work well. Manual windows. 4.10ish gearing, 29in tires. Saggy doors. I'm missing the front driveshaft and need to know what interchanges with it and/or the length. Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
10,426 Posts
Souinds like the door hinge is wearing out. Where the door bolts on to the hinge, there are some shims top and bottom. Pull one out of the top and put it in the bottom location. That should help. If not, use another. You don't have to pull the bolt all the way out, the spacers are slotted

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check out the stock technical forum. The very top one might have what you're looking for.

I looked thru that thread, but couldn't find anything on my front shaft length, I have a ujoint you at the axle and at the tcase..... what models interchange with mine? I measured from middle yoke to middle yoke and came up with 27.5ish inches...

·
Super Moderator
11,132 Posts
Hello and welcome. The manual trans are shorter than the automatics. Pretty much everything else is interchangeable. You'll need to find a front drive from a manual. If your plan is to rebuild it an use it for a daily driver, Adams, Tom woods drive shaft, and Olivers driveline all make custom drive shafts. I think an auto DS is about 31" long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello and welcome. The manual trans are shorter than the automatics. Pretty much everything else is interchangeable. You'll need to find a front drive from a manual. If your plan is to rebuild it an use it for a daily driver, Adams, Tom woods drive shaft, and Olivers driveline all make custom drive shafts. I think an auto DS is about 31" long.

Thank you for the info. Other than the length, would the yokes be the same size? If so I can buy a normal size shaft and cut it down

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No plans for a daily driver, just want to build a reliable trailer, no typo.

·
Premium Member
10,426 Posts
The yoke is for a Spicer 1310 U joint. And yes you can cut down a longer shaft. It has to be a shaft with a double cardan joint on one end and standard single yoke on the other

Reactions: Gluckmysock
1 - 11 of 11 Posts