Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hi: From the UK.
Wonder if any of you Jeepers could give me some help.
I drove my Jeep through some deepish water about 12" but I was doing about 25mph, the "check engine" illuminated on the dash, went off and on for a couple of days and then driving down the road one morning got a mile or so and all hell broke loose with the engine, banging noise really loud, sounds like a dwarf in an oil drum having a fit, blackish smoke and soot deposits coming from the exhaust, the engine sounds really awfull its rocking and misfiring big time, I was about to Ebay the Jeep for spares or repairs as I dont know if something major has gone wrong with the block, but I am hoping it might be something simple like water in something, I dont have a manual and this is the vm italian engine so no pictures or instruction any where on the net.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Welcome from Surrey, British Columbia, Canada!

Hopefully you didn't kill a piston with some of that "non-compressible" water you were driving through...

Hard to say without a good look...Does your oil look like chocolate milk or are there any metal particles suspended in it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Loud banging noise and black exhaust smoke.

Hi all,
Do you know I cannot get a Haynes manual here and there is nothing on the Net to help with this problem, If I sell my house I could afford to take it to a Jeep Dealer but then Id have to live in the Jeep:):)
I have replaced the inlet manifold gasket as smoke was coming from that area and the old gasket was u/s, put it all back together hoping this was the cause of the effect but it was not to be,
What it sounds like is the timing is way out like if you put a distributor on the wrong way round, the car wont start but it makes bad farting sounds out the exhaust, well MY jEEP DOES RUN BUT THE NOISE IS SO LOUD AND THE SOOTY DEPOSITS AND BLACK SMOKE COMING FROM THE EXHAUST ARE REALLY DISCONCERTING (Sorry left caps on).
I cant really drive it to a technician cos it sounds like its about to explode,
I cant find a Distributor to dry it out.
If any Diesel Techs could help I would be really grateful, I am a DIY mechanic I can do most jobs but this is my first Diesel engine and its a whole new ball game.
Gonna try and upload photos but if any one can help I would be eternally grateful. This photo shows where the smoke was coming from but I have replaced the gasket so its all out the exhaust now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Welcome.

I believe the code is held in a frame for awhile. I would get the code(s).

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I think he's referring to the engine code in the computer to help diagnose the problem...
Something like this:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse?storeId=10101&Pr=p_CATENTRY_ID:100000352080&productId=100000352080&catalogId=10108&langId=-1&rlid=group_listing

You'll probably also do better to post your problem over in the Cherokee forum rather then this thread:
http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f37/

As more people are likely to read it there rather then in the Introductions section. Not everybody reads this area...

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Welcome from TEXAS. We rarely see diesels here unless it is an import like yours would be. Is there a particular code that is showing? We use our parts houses as diagnostic stations because they will come out and read your codes for free in hopes of selling you the parts to make the repair. Do yours do that too?
Give us the codes when you get them and we can confirm the numbers for you at least.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jeep codes

Thanks I really appreciate your help, I have not got any codes showing on the dash, I need to get hold of an obd tool I have tried a few things like turning the key in the ignition on and off and also turning the key on and holding the tripometer switch in but none of these are giving me a code, I have just been out under the Jeep with an inspection light but I cant see any wet or coroded wires, I started the engine and the noise is being amplified through the air intake hose and it is such a violent movement that just holding the pipe feels like the shock you get off an electric fence, the smoke out the exhaust is like a blue/grey and it is really coughing out black oily deposits.
If this was a petrol engine I think it would be easier to diagnose but the diesel is a mystery to me, I really am sure that although it sounds like something has snapped in the head it really might just be excessive water somewhere which is affecting the air/fuel mixture, the water in fuel light is not staying on and the fuel in the inspection bis a good colour,( im an aircraft re-fueller so im used to seeing if fuel is contaminated)
I will keep trying to get the code reader tool and let you know what shows up.
Thanks again.
John

·
Registered
872 Posts
I cant find a Distributor to dry it out.
You may find more help in the proper section. (Stock Cherokee Furom)

Diesels do not have distributors, they fire from compression, not ignition. It sounds like it is either an injector issue or a pump issue. I don't know anything about diesel Cherokees, but I do have some diesel experience. If this engine is controlled by an ECU it could be that as well. I think it is an ECU engine, so you need to get it to someone with a hand held diagnostic reader. It does sound to be out of time though, sorry I couldn't help more, keep us posted!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts