·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My first time here, so hello to all,
Irish guy here with some problems with My Jeep,
Is a Jeep Cherokee, 2.5 Dls Year 2000,
It runs smoothly ,but my Temp Guage is fluctuating up and down,does not make a difference what way i drive it,Heaters blow cold when its moving up and down and will only blow warm when it Temp reads normal,I have changed the Termostat and have run it with Cap off to try and bleed it if it was airlocked with no luck, there is not white steam from exhaust,
i was going to get a water pump but thought id try here first for advice,
if you have any, i would really appreciate it,
Kind Regards
Tony

·
Registered
608 Posts
I agree with Kyle... Check out all the cheap stuff first, and blow out your heater core. If none of that works, I say the water pump is going.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
I agree with Kyle... Check out all the cheap stuff first, and blow out your heater core. If none of that works, I say the water pump is going.
And I feel sorry for you if the water pump is infact going. I really hate swapping those out.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I actually don't mind doing them. I just hate getting all the fan ductwork out of the way. I think the fastest I got one done was 20 mins before... I'm not a fan of the belt adjustment on the pre-96 4.0's though, those eat up time

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thanks Guys,

I will try that out, Il change the cap first, i do think myself that it may bethe water pump,dreading it now, i
f i want to flush out the system whats the best way to do it? one of the replys said flush out system and change coolent , also to flush out the core,
any ideas the best way to do this?

If its the water pump i seem to be getting the idea that its a nasty job,is this true? so nobody reckons head gasket? I dont think(Hope its not) head gasket it, but doesnt seem like it is,

anyway, il try cap, flash, collent first,
thanks lads,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked

Hi,

Thanks for your help, hard to get time to work on this jeep due to work issues,
I did check the oil and it is not milky, I did also check oil cap to see if there was any milky deposits mixed in the oil, but no, its all clear,also no white smoke from exhaust,

I did drive it and when i came home, i did notice that water was leaking, after looking into it, i found it to be leaking from the Rad Cap, would this really efect it like this? i didnt think it would effect the temp like this, Major fluctuations in temp,

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for your help, hard to get time to work on this jeep due to work issues,
I did check the oil and it is not milky, I did also check oil cap to see if there was any milky deposits mixed in the oil, but no, its all clear,also no white smoke from exhaust,

I did drive it and when i came home, i did notice that water was leaking, after looking into it, i found it to be leaking from the Rad Cap, would this really efect it like this? i didnt think it would effect the temp like this, Major fluctuations in temp,
What are the fluctuations you are talking about. From what to what, and how long at those temps?

I've never seen a radiator cap leak, I'm wondering if the leak is on that side of the radiator and it is making you think it is the cap.

There are two other things that it could be.

Thermostat and temp sensor.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Well if it leaks, you're losing coolant. Sooner or later it will get an air pocket that will cause temp fluctuations. I get one from the weep hole in my '92. Happened when the water pump was going out on the '98 (well until the pump just totally let loose). Get the cap tested and inspect the tanks on the radiator itself. If you think the plastic is cracked, you could always grab a tire crayon and rub it on the area, then smear it off. If there is a crack the crayon will stay in the crack area. Check that out and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
231 Posts
same thing was happening to a friend with an 00xj, replaced his coolant temp sensor and hasn't had a problem since, cheap part, might be the same issue.

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
Hi All,

My first time here, so hello to all,
Irish guy here with some problems with My Jeep,
Is a Jeep Cherokee, 2.5 Dls Year 2000,
It runs smoothly ,but my Temp Guage is fluctuating up and down,does not make a difference what way i drive it,Heaters blow cold when its moving up and down and will only blow warm when it Temp reads normal,I have changed the Termostat and have run it with Cap off to try and bleed it if it was airlocked with no luck, there is not white steam from exhaust,
i was going to get a water pump but thought id try here first for advice,
if you have any, i would really appreciate it,
Kind Regards
Tony
Tony

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think your head gasket is shot. They don't always put steam in the tail pipe. I have had them do just what yours is doing. They put exhaust gasses into the water jacket, but are just tight enough to not allow coolant into the combustion chamber. When the gasses are forced in, coolant simply goes out the over flow. Then you get hot spots because there is no coolant there and your heater might not work. they typically quit working when the system is not full.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Temp

Hi folks

It is a strange one alright, the gauge basically never stops moving, one min it could be reading normal, next its gone completely into the read with the light saying check gauges,the reason why i dont think its the gauges is that the heaters donty work either,then when the temp goes back down, they work again,strangley enough,the Jeep works fine other wise,no creamy milkly stuff on oil cap or dip stick,coolant standing around the same level,gauge moving up and down no matter how you drive,I have just bought a Sniffer test Kit, which basically tellls you straight of if the gasket it gone,to be honest, i am half afraid to do it, if it turn out ok, i think its the water pump myself,
but i wil let you know, as this is a regular complaint by all accounts,

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still no closer

Well,
Still the same guys, I have tried a few things like flushing out there system tried to bleed the system out , I was concerned that ot my be a head gasket as one reply mentioned,so i tested it, I dont know it any of you are aware of the sniffer test? well its one of the test that they do to check head gaskets, anyways, that turned up clear, and no signs or hints of head,
so in review, lol

Drives ok, no roughness,temp gauge flys up,blowers goes cold, 10 sec later back to normal heaters regain heat when temp goes back down to normal temp,and this can happen randomly all the time, water pump not nosy and term was replaced,

any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I scanned the previous posts, and I didn't see, what have you done besides had the radiator sniffed for exhaust gases?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi,

I bled out the system, heater core, I checked the oil for milky colour for head, I replaced the Temp, i was thinking of the water pump, but check and it seems to be running quite so was leaving that for moment,Checked the water cooler and cap, checked for leaks inside onthe floor just in case heater core was leaking,felt like it could be switch or gauge but figured it wasnt as heaters get cold and didnt think it would effect it if it was a gauge problem

Normally that sniffer test it reliable enoughhasnt ever really let me down,but if you have any advice its all very welcome :)

Thanks again guys :)

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Hmmm 4 cylinder, I have zero experience.

1. Change thermostat (never a bad idea)
2. Change radiator cap (never a bad idea)
3. Change temp sensor (relatively cheap and easy and if it doesn't fix it you have a spare)
4. Check the tightness of the belt.
5. Check coolant mix, and color. (If muddy looking flush system until clear)
6. Replace the water pump.

As I think of it, I bet your problem is going to be the water pump. If it is a factory water pump the little POS plastic blade may be nearly gone. This is what led to my first over heat in my XJ, $950 later it was fixed and the water pump was gone!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi,
thanks for that, i think myself to it maybe the water pump, I really dont mind doing that, so i think the next step would be to try the ater pump, it seems to be a common failer with them too, il let you guys know how i go,

thanks again, u are all a great help,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Think i figured it!How do i bleed the system?

Hi,
I bought a water pump, and took out old one, I saw that the old one wasnt broke so returned it, but while fitting old one back in i discovered a leaking water pipe, I changed it and think i have solved it the problem partly, tho i am unsure on how to bleed the system, I took water cap off, i let the engine run while heaters was on full and just let the system bubble out, but i dont think its unlocked,anybody have any ideas on how to bled it right? or the best way to flush the system while i am at it??

any help would be great,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts