Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

JK shocks

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  NxtGenCowboy 
#1 ·
I read somewhere in the last 2 weeks or so about someone using stock JK rubi shocks on their lifted XJ and now I cant seem to find where I read it at. if anyone knows what I am talking about or has a link to this info PLEASE POST IT UP
thanks in advance

#5 ·
YUP THATS IT
thank you very much. on a side note anyone know whether there is a difference in length between RUBI's and regular JK's
I have a free set of JKu sahara shocks coming my way later 2nite. either way I am gonna try em out and see what I get. either they will work or they wont. cant get any simpler than that

#7 ·
I just went on a search for these shocks and I'm seeing them going for $100+? WTF? Stock shocks for over a hundred. :brickwall: In about a year, they should drop down to about $20 like all other stock shocks.

#9 ·
I don't think that there is any difference between a JK and a JK Rubi's shocks. In my mind, it's the same concept as the TJ and TJ Rubi's. The Rubi's weren't lifted or modified in any way (suspension-wise) in comparison to non-Rubis. The JK shocks, regardless of Rubi or non-Rubi, will probably be the same length.

Just a guess though.

#10 ·
ok so I have a friend with a JKu SAHARA and another friend with a 2dr JK RUBI and both basically said the same thing. as long as the jeeps were originally equipped with 32" tires (rubi's and sahara's both fall into this category, X's however were available with a 30-31"-ISH tire on base models) the shocks/springs are the same length but the shocks however will have different valving and they MAY be gas charged instead on the rubi versions.

as for working on stock setups I highly doubt it. as mentioned they are for 3-4" lifted XJ's
mine will very soon (hopefully in the next month or so) fall into the 3-4" lift category.
as of last night I got a complete set of shocks from my buddy with the JKu sahara. since it was a sahara I am pretty much expecting it to ride almost stock like. if it were rubi shocks I would expect the stiffer ride mentioned. BUT I also dont know what to expect because I will be running rough country 4" TJ springs up front which shoul net me somewhere in the range of 3" and since they are RC's I kinda expect them to be a lil stiff anyway. not worried tho, maybe the stiffer springs and possibly shocks will cure my nose-dive while braking that I have now as well as the front axle wheel hop I get while playin in the snow in 4wd.

thanks for all the help guys.
once I get the shocks mounted I will provide more info on how this mod worked out for me.

#11 ·
That nose dive and axle hop is probably from your worn out stock springs, if you are still running stockers.

#12 ·
yes still running stockers and I kinda figured it was a combination of both shocks and coils with almost 100k miles on them.

but give me a month or 2 to get all my ducks in a row and both will be gone :rock:

#13 ·
I figured I'd bump this back up cuz I'd like to get info on the shocks. Apparently there are two versions of the JK shock. One has the rear shocks at 22.5" and the other has the rears at 24.5". I just don't know which models come with what.

#14 ·
The Rubi's are longer and the regular JK's are shorter according the link posted above and another jeepforum member.

#15 ·
That's what people say but then I'm finding Sahara shocks that are 24.5" long. I thought the Rubi's would have the longest shocks but it doesn't appear to be that way. There's also different versions, like the hydraulic and gas versions, from what I've read. I finally got approved to post in the JK-forums so I'm gonna ask those dudes over there. They should know.

#16 ·
There is a small difference between the black and red shocks. Red come on some Sahara's and All Rubicons.. Hell even some X model..err Sport models now (2010s)

I had a 09 X and replaced the shocks with the Rubicon shocks, they are a rough ride.

You can get the regular shocks free all over the JK boards.. I paid 45 shipped for mine on eBay.. look in the free section and for sale section on JKOwners.com

#17 ·
No shocks are free, at least from what I've checked over the past 4 days (every single forum lol). They all want $50+ for the shocks. I'm going for the regular JK shocks, not Rubi's cuz I hear the rubi's are stiff and the JK's curb weight is like 4300 lbs so they would be awfully stiff on our light xj's.

The fab guy at Meridian Off Road in butler said he has shocks laying around from installing lifts on JK's and I can take what I find so I'm gonna go check em out. They were the only free JK shocks I could find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.