Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'll be 18 in April but right now I need a good job for me being only 17 years old. My only obligation a month is a $100 cell phone bill. I'm out of school and just waiting for college next Fall so I need a good job right now so I can start modifying my XJ.

Any ideas?

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
With the economy the way it is, get a job anywhere you can :cheers:

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Straight out of high school and all through college I worked some form of landscaping / construction / maintenance. After graduation I was a greenskeeper at a country club. After that I did lawncare and landscape construction (retaining walls) and laid sod. After that I did irrigation systems, sprinkler systems, patios and driveways, in-ground swimming pools, you name it. I helped build an artificial waterfall and maintain the property of a 24-million dollar home. Those types of jobs are always hiring, just walk up to a job site and look for the guy doing the least amount of work (he's usually near a truck with the company name on it) and tell him you want a job.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Most of those things you have to be 18 for. I have a job right now at a local skating rink (yes I know, lame, but hey it puts gas in the XJ.).

Forgot to mention that the place is so slow right now that I make about $50 a week. This is a waste of my time. I gotta lift my XJ and fit bigger shoes on it! I have obligations!

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Well, as I said, a job is a job. I wouldn't really worry too much where you work right now. Once you have a steady job then you can worry about moving up on the ladder.

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Well I started doing that kinda work when I was 14, getting paid under the table. It helps to know somebody, but if you don't, there's always cook/dishwasher jobs. Not the most glamorous, but you'll make a hell of a lot more than $50/week. If you can commit to a 36 hour work week, even at minimum wage you'll be making pretty decent money, but a lot of places will offer you more than that. I made almost $12/hr by the time I quit at Olive Garden, and making sauce for a living is EASY money.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
When I was in high school I worked at a Dry Cleaners. Yea it sucked, but the money really wasn't that bad and the hours are usually pretty convenient since they're opened past 5PM (so that people can drop clothes off after work), and close early on Saturdays, usually closed Sundays. In college I did the typical restaurant thing.

Now, I've been out of college since May '08, have been job hunting for a job in my field since October '07, and am working in a field (engineering) having nothing to do with my major (psychology). I get paid hourly, and last week our clients were so slow that I only worked Thursday and Friday.

You're lucky to get any job right now. Take what you can get, and save more of that money than spend it. I don't know your monetary situation, but the way things are right now, you may very well need that hard earned money for a rainy day in the next year - especially with college being ridiculously expensive right now.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody for the helpful responses. I think I'm going to try a major restaurant as a dishwasher or so. A 36 hour week would be absolutely amazing for me right now. If only that were possible. Any restaurant ideas?

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Olive Garden pays decent, as does Chili's. I'm sure Applebee's, Outback, et al are comparable. Check the newspaper or just stop by and ask to speak to the manager. See who pays the most vs. who has the most hours available, and then make a decision.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I tell my sons that a job at Mcdonalds is better than no job. Don't know where you are located but here the fast food places pay pretty good,offer insurance and vacations.They had to start being competitive just to get people to work. My youngest was working at Hardees and was bringing home about 200 a week when he was in high school.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts