Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a cheap way to lift with junkyard parts?
i have some ford 4x4 blocks that people use under the rear springs on yotas and other trucks but the front is what im wondering about.
this could be a cool thread for buget build stuff.i like using junkyard stuff and fabricating as opposed to plopping down cash and paying some monkey to turn wrenches for me.
post your ideas and suggestions or pics here. lets make a resourcefull thread.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do a search its all over the net, and even this forum.

ZJ v8 coils in the front will net some lift, as will f150 coils.
why not compile all the info in one place like a sticky

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Blocks work great on the back. Just use the steel ones.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
blocks put way to much stress on already weak springs on a xj even if the springs are new. they will give you lift but not that good on ride or parts. as far as the front like it was said look around on here their was a thread not to long ago about this. and same thing anyway you do not get all that much lift and its a hard ride. but hay to each their own. take pics and let us know how it works for you.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blocks put way to much stress on already weak springs on a xj even if the springs are new. they will give you lift but not that good on ride or parts. as far as the front like it was said look around on here their was a thread not to long ago about this. and same thing anyway you do not get all that much lift and its a hard ride. but hay to each their own. take pics and let us know how it works for you.
so what way gives a nice ride?
f150 springs are a dime a dozen though

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I wouldn't use blocks in the rear. Besides the obvious "safety" issues with them breaking and such, they cause axle wrap and have the potential to ruin your leaf packs. Not to mention, if your current leaf packs are showing signs of sag, then you're better off not modifying them at all because they'll continue to sag and only offer a certain amount of lift for a short period of time.

If you're packs are in good shape, then consider extended shackles or even an AAL or bastard pack (easily find parts for this in a junkyard).

For the front, the F150 springs will offer lift, but at the cost of a much stiffer ride. F150 springs have a higher spring rate to compensate for the additional weight of the full-size pickup truck. I believe that Grand Cherokee (ZJ) springs will offer about 1" of height.

For the front, you should also consider a set of coil spacers. They can usually be found for cheap, and will get you 2" of lift. Coils + ZJ springs will get you about 3". Enough to comfortably fit 31" tires up there.

For the rear, you can make a bastard pack to easily net you 3" of lift in the rear, and possibly more.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I have gone on numerous hard trail rides and 50,000 miles on 3 inch steel blocks. No problems. A lot of trucks come factory with rear lift blocks.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have gone on numerous hard trail rides and 50,000 miles on 3 inch steel blocks. No problems. A lot of trucks come factory with rear lift blocks.
yea ford f150s have those blocks on them stock on the 4x4 trucks. or atleast my old 88 did. i know the yota guys use em with no problems. the grand cherokee springs are a good idea ill keep my eyes open for those. i dont want more than 3" lift anyhow. my xj goes over bumps really bad right now. i whouldnt want to wheel it hard as it is or my butt would be hurtn. its not good over speed bumps at all let alone wheeln

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Sound like you might need some new shocks. If you think yours is bad go drive a CJ some time.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sound like you might need some new shocks. If you think yours is bad go drive a CJ some time.
its pretty bad, i might get some boneyard one just to see if it helps

·
Registered
81 Posts
new shocks and control arm bushings would help your ride out significantly.

lift blocks or shackles by themselves will kill your existing leaf packs but if you build or buy a better leaf pack, blocks or shackles arent as much of a spring killer.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
new shocks and control arm bushings would help your ride out significantly.

lift blocks or shackles by themselves will kill your existing leaf packs but if you build or buy a better leaf pack, blocks or shackles arent as much of a spring killer.
i just picked up some lift shackles off a lifted ranger and i have ford 2.5" lift blocks going in the back. anyway to test junkyard shocks?i wanna set something up and see how i like it and then later get new springs and shocks if i like it. 2.5 might not be as much as i want so i dont wanna buy a bunch of stuff new.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Never liked shackles I have always had alot of body rolling and sway. Blocks in the rear.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Never liked shackles I have always had alot of body rolling and sway. Blocks in the rear.
what else do you use? it comes factory with shackles....im worried that the ranger ones look kinda thin/small and i would rather find some on a 4x4 f150. a 2.5" lift in the back and not the front will look weird. what do you think about the coil spacers?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh i meant u bolts that are longer to fit the blocks not leaf spring shackles

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
you are not realy getting shocks at the junk yard and wasting you time and money like that are ya??? you can get new shocks for like 100 bucks or just over....
you have a big list of cars and even a yota did you build all that stuff out of the yard parts? I do not care I just do not see the point of wasting time and money like that...:dunno::rolleyes:
just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 24 Posts