Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know I am asking a "newbie" quesiton, but I figured this forum needs more technical questioned threads anyways.

So, besides the mj, what JY shackles can I get that will lift my jeep? I heard that you can use Gm truck shackles and supposedly lifts the jeep 2", but that's bull. I went to pick-n-pull and measured the shackle eye to eye it it's only about an inch longer and would only lift the jeep .5" inches. So do you guys know any other shackles that would work? Or any other JY way to lift the rear around 1-2"?

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O ok. Have you been to pick-n-pull lately kyle? Do you know if there are any MJs there? Last time I checked there wasn't.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
O ok. Have you been to pick-n-pull lately kyle? Do you know if there are any MJs there? Last time I checked there wasn't.
Only pick n pulls I ever go to are near sac. Havent been to our local pick n pull yet.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Has anyone ever made their own shackles??? Now this is a point to ponder, cant be all that hard with some basic metal working stuff (and by basic I mean saw/plasma, sm. grinder, welder). I mean hell, most factory ones are thick stamped stuff....Might be worth looking into...

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I could, but it would be a bigger PITA then it's worth. The problem is where the shackle connects to the leafs is wider then where it mounts to the frame, so I would have to do some fancy metal work. I am probably going to just order some online, but I was just making sure there aren't any free options out there.

·
Registered
412 Posts
GM full-size and MJ shackles are basically the same. Don't bother looking for a MJ to pull parts off. I hate it when people do that anyways...

What you want to do is look for a chevy full-size that is 'tricked out'. Specifically lowered. Why? GMs run the shackles upside down, a longer shackle makes them lower...

Or just buy some aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
84 Posts
another JY option, if your leaves are sagging or you want a heavy, yet flexy suspension, is making a bastard pack out of rear leaves from a early 90s or late 80s dakota
i did just that, and i got some great flex for 48 bucks

·
Registered
5 Posts
ive used lowering shackles from pep boys before, there ment for a chevy s10 to be lowered, but i flipped them around grinded the bering down a bit and it worked, it gave me about 2 1/4 inches of lift..does a good job for a cheap price...about 40 bucks

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive used lowering shackles from pep boys before, there ment for a chevy s10 to be lowered, but i flipped them around grinded the bering down a bit and it worked, it gave me about 2 1/4 inches of lift..does a good job for a cheap price...about 40 bucks
Awesome first post man. Thanks a lot :cheers:

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought some 2" lift rough country shackles for $30 of craiglist :cheers:

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
I bought some 2" lift rough country shackles for $30 of craiglist :cheers:
Those are good ones. I run em. they are adjustable too. You can also get em from RC for $50 something shipped. Cheap and well built shackles.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How much did they end up lifting your jeep?

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I installed the shackles today. O man, they really lifted the back end up quite a bit. Before the back was about 1" lower then the front, but now the back is about 1" higher then the front. I'm going to be putting in another 1" spacer to level it out, so total I will be running 5.5" lift :rock:

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
I installed the shackles today. O man, they really lifted the back end up quite a bit. Before the back was about 1" lower then the front, but now the back is about 1" higher then the front. I'm going to be putting in another 1" spacer to level it out, so total I will be running 5.5" lift :rock:
PICTURE OR BAN! :mod::mod::mod::mod::mod:

This should be a law. Jeep Members are not permitted to brag about installing a lift or performing modifications unless appropriate pictures were shown of member's work/rig.
:p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts