Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just browsing through the Hi-Lift thread in the General Cherokee Discussion section and figured I'd throw this question out there.

How many of you guys actually use/have used your Hi-Lift jack out on the trails?

I used to carry one with when I was wheeling for about a full year. I looked back and realized that I only really used it twice, once on someone else's rig and once on mine. Every other time I used a bottle jack.

I definately understand their pros and cons, and have been schooled on how to properly and safely use one. I personally don't like them - have found them dangerous, and find them a hassle to carry around - not to mention the additional weight.

Discuss....

·
Registered
934 Posts
I use it all the time, especially for those broken axle shafts...which unfortunately seems to happen quite frequently...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have never had a Hi Lift. I have a bottle jack I kept from my old Toyletta Truck that goes like 30" high. I use that baby all the time. The POS jack that came with my XJ just stays under the back seat. The two guys I've actually seen use their hi lift up close, both had problems getting the jack to go back down. One kicked the jack out. The other drove his Jeep off of the jack. VERY DANGEROUS, either way.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a bottle jack as well, I believe 12 ton, that I keep in my Jeep. It gets it plenty high to do most anything to it on the trails, and I have found it to be more stable than a hi-lift since you can position it better.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Whats the use of having one if your not going to use it .We carry one in every vehicle

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
I over-used mine to the point where i had to buy the rebuild kit. But of course our main goal, when going wheeling, is to get stuck so the hi-lift comes in handy quite often. :D Wouldn't wheel without it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I use mine more in the shop than on the trail. It's bent kinda like a horseshoe. I keep telling myself that once I start wheeling again, I'll buy a new one since I'll 'need' it then.

It depends who I'm wheeling with. I carry it often. I once recovered my truck by myself, when I had broken my front gearset and dropped my rear driveshaft, with it and a 25' peice of chain and 2 10' peices. That was very interesting. You can do a lot with them if you have to, but it's just stupid slow. In that case I had to drag the truck sideways about 15' so I could coast it onto level ground. Then I filed the splines on the rear driveshaft so it could be re-assembled (twisted them when it let go) and installed it. Manged to drive out after that.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I used mine on the trail just once so far....but I wouldn't leave it at home when I go wheelin' (at least not on purpose)

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd say that at any given time 75% of the group I'm wheeling with carries one. I have alot of respect for them and definately know how handy they are, I just hated putting up with the weight and size.

I also had a 60" one (got it for free), so I guess that's part of the reason I hated it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts