Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

Just to say Hi Folks! & see if you can save me! That's If it's cool to ask on Day 1?

929 views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  jenneyalfred 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi my friends! I do hope all is well & 23 is being good to you all!

I am relatively new, not only to Grand Cherokees but also to the Car World in general!

Don't know why it never happened when I loved driving so much but life takes over your focus, and it ended up not being a number one event in my life until recently! & now I don't know how I ever lived without one! So now I have 2! :) But both are in deep need of love, one on SORN :( & both no MOT!

So. Through different online avenues. Tons of video tutorials, & online threads & forums (99.9% reading tnem, rather than joining!). I have slowly brought my WJ back to life, after being sold mine from someone, who wasn't 100% honest with me and I walked right into a brick wall of electrical problems & some mechanical.

So, down to what brings us all here! I love my WJ man! Here's her specs:

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ MK2 4.7 V8 Limited 2000 In Silver, Dark Grey Interior!

47-48,000 (was a massive selling point!) on the clock! Interior close to prisitne, smelled like a new car although I've been using AUTO GLYM for my leather cleaner & Leather care and the new car smell has been altered somewhat so not so sure if this isn't the right Brand to treat to my GC with.

Engine bay looks really nice but could do with a Dremel over it and make the metal work shine even more! Body work is cool from Back to near front. But man, I found out too late. It seems from what the Seller didn't tell me. My GC has taken a massive smack in the front end!

I really want to get her on a lift! And see if there's any damage to the Chasis, as it squeaks when turning the wheel & driving fast with fast repetitive squeeks. But one thing he did say was that the front drivers side Caliper needs replacing.

So I have brand new Calipers in boxes ready to fit! The front 2 are both Akebono Calipers. But I was told they don't do the same for the rear, which was surprising! So I have brand new smaller Calipers for the rear in boxes also. All ready to fit if I find a good tutorial online!

As a result of finding the broken & moving front bumper & headlight on the passenger side, I replaced the front Header Panel which was snapped off around the headlight mount. With a 2004 version & so I have now upgraded the 2000 front end, with a 2004 Grill & bumper which is a nice upgrade! Only thing is, the 2004 bumper & Front Grill are different colours so they'll need to be sprayed to match the silver body work!

I want to do the normal Off Road mods but my income doesn't allow for this to happen very quickly! May take some years but hope to get there at some point! But, Metal Winch Bumper front & back. Lift kit etc & bigger tyres over a 15 inch steel wheel are some of the upgrades id like to fit on her at some point. But for now she's stock other than a Snorkle that I'm not sure is fitted properly. & my exhaust comes out from underneath the rear drivers side passenger door and has no muffler only pipes & Catalytic Converters which I only found out after an AA visit!

I badly want to travel & do a European Road Trip. Love to see the Northen Lights, camp out & hopefully do so with a couple of furry canine friends! Just get in touch with nature which I have been devoid for far too long!

So that's me. I may have gone on too long but hopefully I haven't for an Introduction!?

So, this brings me to why I'm here my friends. I badly need some advise pls. If this isn't how its done then no worries I'll start again in the right place if you can tell me, & my apologies if this isn't the correct way!

But if it is, then great! I have a few issues I'm facing but my main issue affecting my MOT is this:

1. My High Beams will not come on! No matter what I've tried!

What I've tried:

1. A few different bulbs but with no results!

2. I have done my best to study the interior & engine bay Fuse Boxes Diagrams, & have ended up replacing every single Fuse I had. Both the Mini Fuses & The Tall Profile Cartridge Fuses JCase versions to be exact! All brand new!

3. This one I may have made a mistake. somany advice would mean a lot? I have replaced every Relay in my interior Fuse Box only. Reason being as they hold the Relays for High & Low Beams. But I've not relpaced them with new ones! I cannot find new Relays for my WJ anywhere! Europe or US! None at all!

So, I've ended up buying internal Preowned Fuse Boxes (which come with stock Relays & Fuses) online with them stating everything's been tested & working! So I took my Relays out & replaced them with the Relays from the working Fuse Boxes!

But! I had a little mishap & am not sure if I put back the Relays in their correct position.

My reference was from an online Diagram of my interior and engine bay fuse boxes and they seem on point!

Just to explain something. From the interior Fuses Boxes. 2 of the Relays there have this serial. 007001 or 007003! 007003 have Gold pins & 007001 have Silver Pins. (I have attached an image of both Relays from the interior fuse box) I replaced the 5 Relays around where the High & Low Beams Relays are with the Gold 007003 Relays? So there are now 5 007003 Relays in my interior Fuse Box in these positikns. R6 R7 R8 R9 then R10 & R12. The rest of the interior Fuse box is in its correct placing I believe other than I am not 100% about Relays R2 & R4,but we can discuss that after.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to link the Fuse Box Diagrams I've been using but if I'm allowed let me know & I'll link the website.

So for this moment, that's my problem! My High Beams Refuse to come no matter what I have tried. So now I'm worrying is it the Cabling internal wiring that could be the offender?

I have already had conversations about this on the phone to Garages! Convos of getting someone to replace all the looms in my battery area! As I was told by an AA roadside mechanic. That he had a WJ like mine & said that the cabling in the battery area does not look stock?

__

So! My friends. And just to end, (Not to discuss them) but in case these points give you any ideas as to why my High Beams aren't working. Here's what else that I have been facing electrically since I purchased my GC.

1. Intermittent Battery Drain. Battery Dies overnight. Got brand new Battery which drains a bit slower but still drains. One moment the drain shows on an Amp metre. The next moment it doesn't? A mechanic showed me this happening!

2. My instrument Cluster goes dead from start up or suddenly whilst driving. Everything goes to 0 and I can't see my speed, or what petrol I have, nothing! Speedometer only kicks in after I start driving. It pings and starts showing speed sometimes minutes later after starting engine up. But usually 20-30 seconds after starting up. The cluster pings & then the Speedometer kicks in.

3. My car cuts out whilst driving sometimes. The engine suddenly goes dead. I have to turn off my car, put it back into neutral, start car back up, put into drive & revup all whilst it's still moving slowing down! I'm really worried of this happening in the motorway. I can't work the brakes cos the engine & electrics are off! Luckily this has always happened whilst the car was moving slowly, byt once at around 30mph!

4. AC / Cruise Control Not Working.

Again these last points are just for your info not to sort out now!

And lastly. Just to reiterate. My car has had some kind of crash in the front end on the left psssenger side! I don't know how big it was he never told me about it at all!

Anyways, man I hope I haven't gone on to long. I've been sitting with these problems for over a year. So wasn't so easy to concise.

I hope I've explained my situation & introduced myself appropriately. If you are able to help me concerning my High Beams alone, I would be incredibly grateful! It would allow me to take my MOT so I can be Road legal. Until then I am stuck at home unable to move so you'd be helpjng ,e more than you know!

Thank you all for your time!

prime8zero

Ps. Here's some images. My exterior is different now, & I've yet to take images of the exterior which I'll do and add them to this thread. Thanks!

Circuit component Passive circuit component Electronic component Electronic engineering Font

This first image is of the 007001 & 007003 Relays. Thanks folks!
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Car seat cover

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Seat belt

Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Car seat cover

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi my friend, thanks for responding. Sorry for the long message. I thought it best to give as much info so people know what I've been facing. Byt I can see it may be causing confusion, for that I apologise.

Just to say the numbered points I wrote were just to explain what other things I'm facing & if they can be linked to my main problem.

My main problem is my High Beams are not working. I have tried numerous thing to no avail. I've written about what I've tried but I fear writing so much confused matters.

I have tried different New bulbs.
I have replaced all my Fuses internally & in the engine bay with brand new Fuses. And I have replaced the Relays with ones from working Fuse Boxes that I purchased online. None of these steps I've taken has amended my High Beams not working.

I am at a loss so I came on here. I went into detail to explain everything concerning my High Beams. And these other points were written just jn case they explain why my High Beams are not working. I'm really sorry I ended up not being clear about my main issue.

I have to take my MOT to be Road legal and I badly need to drive for multiple reasons. Byt if I can't get my Hjgh Beams working I am lost.

I fear its down to cabling. Could some wiring somewhere be damaged?

Again. Really sorry I ended up confusing matters by over explaining.

I thank you again for getting back to me. If need to start anither post about my High Beams, if you can let me know I'd really appreciate it. It looks like I went to deep so people may not feel comfortable responding.

But take care my friend thanks for welcoming me!

#5 ·
Sorry man, had a couple full on days. In answer to your question. I'm not sure if I do, or what Auto Dimming is? just looked it up online and from what I see I think it's on newer vehicles? I don't think I have this feature but I could wrong?

Thanks for getting back to me & for helping me out.

Cheers my friend.

#13 ·
Hi my friend, so ok, I have a few bits of revelations over the last 24 hours. Been working in my Grand Cherokee non stop. I have some great news. I swapped out a few Relays in my interior Fuse Box. I also fitted a new Clock Spring & for the first time I took it for a drive around the block as I have no MOT I could be caught and lose my license. But I tried a few things that weren't working and now my steering wheel controls and my Horn are both working. So are my indictators & I don't know what I've done wrong, but I tried my High Beams every day and nothing. But I drove round the block & pulled back, the Stalk for my lights & the High Beams came kn man! I'm so happy. I've worked tireles for a whole on my GC and from not knowing anything I have got her close to fully functioning!!!

My battery is still being drained. But I have to study more to lest how to test each fuse and relay byt I'm sure I'll do it shortly! And hopefully I'll be successful and isolate the drain and finally have a fully functioning vehicle! Which I haven't had since I drove away from when I purchased her,

But this is amazing news. I dont know if I was doing something wrong, but my High Beams and working! And having all the other parts working now is amazing man! I didn't say but my Air Con turned on for the 1st time man, incredible!

I'm so over the moon happy! All the research I've done paid off.

I still have no MOT so I can't drive. But I have my MOT on Saturday so if I pass I can come home and look for the best Insurance I can get which'll mean I can instantly drive. Once I do ghat I can look at the dome on my dashboard at night and see if it lights up red. Also I can see if my Crusie Control works which it never has! That would be amazing.

I feel closer to having a complete vehicle than ever before. Thanks for your help and if you can tell me anything about the dome on my dashboard I'd appreciate as till now I have no idea what it is!

Anyways, thank you my friend. Appreciate your help!

#12 ·
The squeaking u hear is possibly your ball joints. And as far a lifts go, there so many. I personally work with readylift and rough country and zone and BDS. I have a 99 cherokee and used a 3in lift kit on mine then installed 2 inch spacers under my front springs. Rough country is affordable and has a good warranty, 7/10 on durability. Readylifts are designed directly from the Baja series trucks. It's very tough 10/10. Heavy, like 2x heavier then RC. Cost more too. But better. IMO. Get yourself some new ball joints. Maybe some bearings, lift her up and get your wheels and tires. I also work with mayhem, fuel, moto metal, Cali offroad and a few others (rims). I work with nitto, BFG, toyo and falken for tires. Lmk if u need any help with the kit or rims and tires. I also work with katzkin for interior. Also, sorry... and black horse for exterior as far as running board and roll bars/cages, front and rear steel bumpers.
No promo! I work at a custom new truck factory.

#14 ·
The squeaking u hear is possibly your ball joints. And as far a lifts go, there so many. I personally work with readylift and rough country and zone and BDS. I have a 99 cherokee and used a 3in lift kit on mine then installed 2 inch spacers under my front springs. Rough country is affordable and has a good warranty, 7/10 on durability. Readylifts are designed directly from the Baja series trucks. It's very tough 10/10. Heavy, like 2x heavier then RC. Cost more too. But better. IMO. Get yourself some new ball joints. Maybe some bearings, lift her up and get your wheels and tires. I also work with mayhem, fuel, moto metal, Cali offroad and a few others (rims). I work with nitto, BFG, toyo and falken for tires. Lmk if u need any help with the kit or rims and tires. I also work with katzkin for interior. Also, sorry... and black horse for exterior as far as running board and roll bars/cages, front and rear steel bumpers.
No promo! I work at a custom new truck factory.
Hi my friend, man, I feel gutted I live in the UK. You seem to have everything functioning so well in the US! You ask a mechanic to do something over here and it's either it's to much work or far too expensive! But even if over does some work they don't have the level of equipment you have over there. We have Rough Country Long Arm Lift kit, but it's at
nearly 3K in GBP!

Also your wheels jn the US, I'm just jealous man! I honestly want to leave the UK, but that's another story :)

But thanks for your offer of help mate, very much appreciated!

I have an idea as over here shortly they'll be doing away with Petrol Diesel & LPG vehicles and any left will be charged £12.50 a day to drive jn the centre of London which is where I reside!

But I saw a TV show where they put a Tesla Model X into a Land Rkver Defender! It was very nice but done by a UKteam so wasn't as expertly carried out as if they did this over in the US! Byt man, I see a newer Tesla Model X Electric Motor at 600bhp! Would be a nice conversion if I could ever afford it :) BUT that's my dream for now man a Tesla Model X Drive Motor Jeep Gramd Cherokee WJ! Byt will probably cost close to 20 or 30k to complete so a little while away for me!

And to be honest I'd like to get out of the country if I had the kind of money and find somewhere to reside in the US!
But otherwise until then I will when I can afford it do some winch bumper upgrades both front and back & tire carrier!

Also maybe do the Shocks & Springs lift kit! I hear some people like it that it's working for them! Not sure if that's a good road to go down. I see the EMU shocks & springs but I'll do more investigation before I fork out money for something that might no be so good for the job!

And wheel wise I found a set off steel wheels 15 inch quite deep that I could get them banded to be wider! These wheels have tear drop holes in the back would love to seal them up and just have deep wheels either fullypollished or brushed would look nice man!

Tires I am worried. If I can't afford the lift kit but if a shave my Wheel Arches Fenders ck let,y how big a tire could I fit or if
I remover the quarter panels completely how big a tire could I fit with no lift?

But yeh that's me my friend. Wish I was over there and with how far behind we are over here for everything even technologically how much I'd enjoy how much more advanced you are over there it'd be amazing! I can't wait!

But I need to get a career sorted and some finances ready to make this kind of move which I am working on everyday also!

So thanks my friend! Appreciate you and the others getting back to me man! I'll leave you in peace, but if you have any jnfo on how well just the Shocks and springs work as a lift kitid be intrigued to hear about it!

But take care my friend, thanks mate! Alltwen best have a great weekend! Nice one!

#16 ·
Good news indeed. I thought that problem would end up in the steering column. Not uncommon. an yes, I am blessed to live here. But I have a suggestion for you. If you are getting new wheels, stuff we do here too, you should get at least a 16" rim. The reason is the size of the front brakes. I have a set of those on my XJ, and there is some rubbing especially on the oversized tie rod ends I have. OMU is really good stuff. Not cheap, but known for a good ride. But before you do this, think ahead, far ahead. Visualize what you want it to look like, but also how you use it. For instance an off road rig will need a different tire than one that never sees dirt. I feel your anxiety on the petrol thing. They are trying to force us to do the same thing

#17 ·
Thank you my friend, appreciate your advise & guidance, means a lot! And yeh, I was worrying about 15 as I also have purchased brand new Akebono Calipers on the front (as the seller said there are no Akebonos for the rear) and new normal (I guess) Calipers at the rear & I know Akebono are bigger Calipers, so I'm worried 15s would be to small also. But I was wondering would spacers help at all? But I take what you've written on board as I'd hate to put the time into these 15s I like, for them to end up being unusable! And I hear you about visualising how I'd like it to look& how I'd like to use it! I'd like to both off road and travel in my GC. I absolutely love the off road look & am excited to be able to start off roading at some point once it's been kitted out. But id love to travel with a couple furry canine friends so having that rugged ready for anything look and feel would be nice man! Byt I get you that off road probably doesn't equate well to street driving. But I honestly wish these off road parts were more affordable over here. Maybe one day :) but anyways, thank you for helping me out my friend, all the best & ahve a good weekend! Cheers man!