Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we just got a kerosine heater. its a mega 230 from wally world. im kinda clueless how this thing works. no instuctions included. does anyone have any tips how to get it lit and adjust the flame so its right? it would suck to burn my house down :)

thanks!

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Mine has an adjustment knob that you turn all the way up (raises the wick), then you light it, and wait for the entire wick to light (about 5 minutes). Then you adjust the flame height so that its not curling over the burner plate, which will cause soot, and nobody likes that. After about 10 minutes, check the flame again and adjust if needed, and you're good to go. They work good - mine sits in the kitchen and is my main source of heat.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine has an adjustment knob that you turn all the way up (raises the wick), then you light it, and wait for the entire wick to light (about 5 minutes). Then you adjust the flame height so that its not curling over the burner plate, which will cause soot, and nobody likes that. After about 10 minutes, check the flame again and adjust if needed, and you're good to go. They work good - mine sits in the kitchen and is my main source of heat.
According to the instructions, i need the flame about 3/4" above the spreader plate but the flame would barely go over the plate. Maybe one or two points of flame will reach over 1/2" but not the full flame. I have the wick knob turned to the max. They say too little or too much isn't the proper way to run it.:dunno:

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Hmm... Mine's the same way. I assume it means 3/4" high flame, period. Cuz mine shows that it SHOULDN'T go over the plate, cuz soot can form on the rim of the plate, and the next time you light it you could light the soot. :confused:

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's it after 10 minutes:

wick at max:

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's about how mine burns. If it's wrong, then it burns wrong all the time. :dunno:
It must not be wrong since you are still alive. :)

I let it run for about 30 minutes and the flame got bigger but by that time it was HOT in here. That thing works great. :rock:

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
It must not be wrong since you are still alive. :)

I let it run for about 30 minutes and the flame got bigger but by that time it was HOT in here. That thing works great. :rock:
Yep, that's what I'm thinking. :cheers:

Mine has lighting instructions on it, and three pictures of the burner. One where the flame is barely visible, and it says "NO", one where the flame is curling around the top of the plate that says "NO", and one where it looks like yours, and it says "OK". :thumbsup:

It's the only heat I have, and it was 7 degress last night, but 65 in my hizzouse. :rock:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I use 2 to heat my house. I have a small one in the living room and a larger one in the kitchen. 25 degrees outside, 73 in the house. The flame in the video looks good. Every once in a while let it run out of kerosene, let it sit then relight again, it will go out again after a few minutes. Then refill and you are good to go, this will clean the wick. I do mine about once every two weeks. We have used kerosene heaters for about 15 yrs to heat with and I love the way the heat feels........makes you all warm and cozy...HAHA

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much am I looking at regarding costs of kerosene?

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok i've been running it for two days now. It sure does heat up the place easily but the smell bothers me. Instructions say if i get the flame just right, it will not smell but i've been adjusting it up and down and can't find that perfect flame that doesn't leave an odor.

·
Registered
608 Posts
You know they make an additive to add to it to make it smell pretty.
Holleyberry, Pine, Cinnamon, and Vanilla.

Sell it at The Big Orange Hell (Home Depot).
(It's in the garden section by the electric and propane heaters)

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
You know they make an additive to add to it to make it smell pretty.
Holleyberry, Pine, Cinnamon, and Vanilla.

Sell it at The Big Orange Hell (Home Depot).
(It's in the garden section by the electric and propane heaters)
Ooh, I gotta get me some of that. Mine stinks too, Mud. Sometimes it doesn't if I have the flame kinda low, but it's been below zero lately, so F that.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I just came in from working on my Jeep. I'm a little concerned as I noticed a bright flash to the North (a little East) from me here in Katy, Texas.

Has anyone heard from muddeprived recently?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts