Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, one of my 04 I6 jeeps has a leaking fuel rail. This will be the second one on this same jeep, the original started leaking about 1.5 ago so I replaced it along with better injectors. Here I am again needing to replace it, does anyone here know why they keep failing? poor design? just junk part? The 1st one had 238K miles I get it, but just a short time later? The little top hat looking thing half way on the rail leaks.
Any suggestions on where to buy a decent made one, I have googled and everybody and their brother sells them, should I go OEM or after market.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Did you use new O rings?

Reactions: Gluckmysock

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Not sure what to say then

·
Super Moderator
11,137 Posts
04 What? WJ? if you replaced the o-rings, but didn't clean out the rust and corrosion it may just be a matter of a poor seal. you can take it apart and examine the condition of the mating surfaces. clean them up with scotch brite pads, don't go too crazy but you want to have a good seal. lube the orings with some Vaseline to make sure they slide on nice and easy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it is a 2004 WJ{Jeep GrandCherokee) fuel rail and injectors were all brand new 1.5 year ago. Installed and have not had a problem until last couple weeks. I started smelling gas inside the cabin. I opened the hood and saw a clean spot on the heat shield that is below the fuel rail. While it was running I saw a drip of gas. Half way between the ends of the fuel rail is a little what looks like a round brim hat. This is where the original rail was leaking and why I replaced it. Now this one is.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yes it is a 2004 WJ{Jeep GrandCherokee) fuel rail and injectors were all brand new 1.5 year ago. Installed and have not had a problem until last couple weeks. I started smelling gas inside the cabin. I opened the hood and saw a clean spot on the heat shield that is below the fuel rail. While it was running I saw a drip of gas. Half way between the ends of the fuel rail is a little what looks like a round brim hat. This is where the original rail was leaking and why I replaced it. Now this one is.
Did your original one have a schrader valve on it so you could check fuel pressure easy with a gauge?
Did the one you replaced it with have one?
What brand did you use for the replacement?
So the "top hat" you are referring to is called the fuel damper.
Also in some circles referred to as the "Flame Thrower". LOL.
A non-serviceable part.
There is a O-Ring in there and I have read about guys prying it off and replacing the O-Ring.
Not sure if I personally would be comfortable doing that but.....
Anyway when I swapped over to 4 hole injectors, '00 XJ by the way, I decided to buy a new fuel rail.
I got a pretty good deal on a Mopar one. Been fine for about 7 years now.
I almost did not use it though. Cause my original one had a schrader valve on it. The new Mopar one did not.
Waffled back and forth but ending up using it. Whole reason was cause I would have hated it if it started leaking down the road after the swap.
Also over the years, cause not all 4.0 fuel rails have the damper, the subject of using one of those on an XJ that did have one on it has come up.
To this day not really sure what it does. Also IMO there has not really been any definite decision about whether it matters or not.
So if you have been using aftermarket ones maybe consider a Mopar one.
Maybe try a fuel rail that does not have the damper and see how you make out.
Please report back on this if you do. LOL.
A bad idea that popped into my head.
Any idea what your fuel pressure is?
I mean if for some reason it is high, I know my '00 XJ is 49 lbs +/- 5 lbs, it might account for the leaking.
Literally being forced out at what might be the path of least resistance in the system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did your original one have a schrader valve on it so you could check fuel pressure easy with a gauge?
Did the one you replaced it with have one?
What brand did you use for the replacement?
So the "top hat" you are referring to is called the fuel damper.
Also in some circles referred to as the "Flame Thrower". LOL.
A non-serviceable part.
There is a O-Ring in there and I have read about guys prying it off and replacing the O-Ring.
Not sure if I personally would be comfortable doing that but.....
Anyway when I swapped over to 4 hole injectors, '00 XJ by the way, I decided to buy a new fuel rail.
I got a pretty good deal on a Mopar one. Been fine for about 7 years now.
I almost did not use it though. Cause my original one had a schrader valve on it. The new Mopar one did not.
Waffled back and forth but ending up using it. Whole reason was cause I would have hated it if it started leaking down the road after the swap.
Also over the years, cause not all 4.0 fuel rails have the damper, the subject of using one of those on an XJ that did have one on it has come up.
To this day not really sure what it does. Also IMO there has not really been any definite decision about whether it matters or not.
So if you have been using aftermarket ones maybe consider a Mopar one.
Maybe try a fuel rail that does not have the damper and see how you make out.
Please report back on this if you do. LOL.
A bad idea that popped into my head.
Any idea what your fuel pressure is?
I mean if for some reason it is high, I know my '00 XJ is 49 lbs +/- 5 lbs, it might account for the leaking.
Literally being forced out at what might be the path of least resistance in the system.
If I remember correctly the original one did have the Damper that's why I replaced it. Neither of them have / had a schrader valve hook up location. I kinda looked for a rail without damper and have not found one. Maybe the crap gas is eating the Orings.

Oh boy not sure of the brand, I know it was not OEM due to the price difference and here I am buying another should have payed the difference.

The fuel pressure, well I picked it up with 190K so I am just assuming it is the original pump, I have never replaced it and now I have 240K + or - a couple miles.

On the injectors, I bought some fancy ones probably 4 hole unit, the description said they atomized the fuel better for better performance etc. Bought them from a company out of Michigan.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
So remember when I said I am pretty sure that not all fuel rails came with damper?
This popped up on Ebay.

Again back to the question is it really necessary if the Jeep came with a fuel rail with the damper in the first place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts