Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

Lets Talk Flares

7K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  ZackXJ 
#1 ·
I'm looking to put flares back on the XJ. It is becoming more of a daily family use vehicle then just a DD. I'm looking at Bushwhackers or Rustys flexy flares.
Most of have you have seen my rig and know I like it to look good as well function. Let me hear your thoughts.
Bushwhackers

Rustys

My XJ

If anybody has Photoshop skills feel free to help a brother out.

See less See more
#2 ·
I like rusty's cuz they are smaller like stock and does not dwarf the tires. They probably hold up a heckuva lot better than the brittle bushwackers.

#5 ·
If I was looking for a purely aethetically pleasing function then I'd go with BW, however, knowing that they're absolute junk on the trail is why I would avoid them. They break/crack at the site of a tree.

I would go with the most flexible flare you can find so that when you do rub against a tree you can still drive home with a flare that is intact and looks good versus a flare that is cracked, broken, and looks bad.

#7 ·
Personally I'd probably go with Bushwackers, simply because I think they look much better than Rusty's flares. Rusty's flares will likely do better offroad if you do hit them on something though.

#8 ·
You may have already answered this but...

What are you going to do with the XJ?

Hard core rock/trail = Rusty's (more flexible and more likely to survive)

Beater Trail/mud/water/daily driving = Rusty's

Nice looking rig Trail/mud/water/daily driving = Bushwhackers.

You have a nice looking rig, so MY choice would be simple, Bushwhackers.

Rusty's flares are very flexible, which is the plus for off road.

Pictures do not do the bushwhackers justice, they are really pretty and fit like a glove.

#13 ·
well of the 2 choices you listed I will agree with everyone else.
for wheel-able functionality absolutely rusty's ugly flares. but if your more concerned with looks and dont thing your gonna make much contact with anything then go with the bushwackers because they look sooo much better.

BUT

my personal choice
go with TJ rears they are just as functional as the others, they can handle more abuse than the Bush's and I would imagine they are probably easier to come by at a chepaer price than the other 2 choices. not to mention IF you do break/crush one you can easily find a replacement

#15 ·
I was surprised when someone suggested raising the stock flares. I did a photo modification as an example, and I was told this was what they were talking about. Personally I think it looks goofy...

#16 · (Edited)
I personally think Rusty's looks fine but I also like the bushwackers more. I think either will look good if installed right. I like the Rusty's ones cause they don't look so bulky. The bushwackers look really bulky to me and more like a show truck flair then a true offroad flair. I don't care much for the looks of the TJ flairs either. Just my thoughts either go flairless, rustys or bushwackers. If I had to chose I'd probably go with Rusty;s cause they look good and function well. Personally I'd just leave it how it is. I like the flairless look myself..

#17 ·
I hvae have a buddy with bushwackers on his TJ and he bumped into a drit mound going like 4mph and he totally cracked it and it looks bad. However I do like the look of bushwackers but im more for functionality so i would go rustys. Also with rustys you can order only one flare if it breaks I dont think you can buy one flare from bushwacker. HTH

#18 ·
Bushwhackers are for show only. I've seen them break on mud trucks from spray off the tires. This is coming from a guy who is very unwilling to consider 'mud' to be wheeling and generally pays no attention to it.

And I've never seen, touched, or smelled rusty's flares in person. However, I won't personally buy a product from him EVER. I think he makes some stuff that looks okay (the last time I browsed his site) but I am totally unwilling to deal with him. And I also think half his products are borderline dangerous - but that's another topic.

So, my choice is to either visit the local fab shop, or your own shadetree circle of friends, and go tube flares. Or no flares at all. I ran raised stock flares in the past, but I didn't do it for asthetics (although, on a pre-96 they can look decent, especially if you know some tricks).

#21 ·
price difference i would go with rustys. i would also go rustys just because the height and size of your tires. bushwackers do look real nice but they are pricey and they are huge. they can look good but your tires arent enormous so i think bushwackers would dwarf the tires. id say rustys, or tj flares done right.

#24 ·
Well not sure, found a set of used whackers for a good price. I may have issues with the whackers and my AJ's rails.

#25 ·
In my honest oppinion bushwackers look better but rustys dont brake as easy due to there high quality flexible matirial

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.