Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Steering issues are very common on our rigs, especially once we start to increase lift height. I know I still don't have my steering dialed in to the point where I'm satisfied with it, and I know that on the various forums that I'm on, there are at least 5 questions a day regarding steering setups, and alignment issues.

Maybe we can gather as much knowledge into one thread on here to use as a reference for anything involving steering. Different types of setups, different manufacturers, trackbars, braces and/or reinforcements, HD tie rods, OTK, UTK, Cross over.. anything.

Post up what setup you use, what you've tried in the past, why it didn't work, what you didn't like about it, etc. etc.

I personally have been using the Currie setup for a little over a year now. When I bought it I really hadn't done enough research, and pretty much bought it because of ease of installation. Personally, the amount of money that it cost would've probably been better spent on going with something that would've eliminated the inverted-Y setup.

The Currie is quite beefy, and will take some hard, hard hits without flinching. That being said, I did manage to bend my tierod, three times. I also found that since it didn't fix the problem of the inverted-Y, I still ran into the same alignment issues. Most particularly, it would become unaligned after a good hard day of wheeling - which was annoying.

I have been thinking of what routes to take for a cross-over setup, and OTK seems like the way to go, but at the moment, that seems to involve too much modification to other components. The Rugged Ridge kit seems to be like a nice option, but I've heard mixed reviews about it and am hesitant.

Right now I'm still running a Currie setup, I ended up finding one used, locally, for a little over $100, which was a steal.

So what's everyone using, and why?

Pictures are welcomed and encouraged!

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
I am running currie, I really like the setup and it has worked very well for me. IMO its the best kit out there that is completely bolt on. If I were to do it again maybe I would try a 1Ton setup OTN but thats a different discussion for a different day.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I am running currie, I really like the setup and it has worked very well for me. IMO its the best kit out there that is completely bolt on. If I were to do it again maybe I would try a 1Ton setup OTN but thats a different discussion for a different day.
No no, that's the whole purpose of this thread :D

Thanks for the pics of the Currie, btw. I don't have any on this computer to have thrown up there.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I run a ballistic fab crossover/histeer set up wit my HP D44,bolted up to set of dedenbear knuckles.......

heres a shot of the old set up...i like to call it "low steer kit"...its half ford and half xj,wit a little bit of machine shop action

to run the ballistic fab kit,i had to ream out the stock pitman arm to fit the chev tie rod end.I also had to build new trak bar bracket onthe frame side,aswell as the axle side,wich had to be raised 7inches or so.....i will get some better close ups after work 2day

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't really tell from the pictures, but those close-ups you mention will probably answer my question. Anyway - in the setup you're running now, does the draglink connect to the tie rod near the knuckle, or does it connect to the knuckle itself?

On a side-note, is your Dana 44 out of a Ford as well?

·
Registered
330 Posts
the only thing ive done is add a rusty's Hd kit to my existing Track bar (frame mount and end) and a 1.25 inch drop pitman arm.

I still get some bumpsteer but it isnt too bad. i want an over the Knuckle kit

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it! Thanks for your efforts, it'll be nice to have a bunch of setups and opinions floating around the forum.

The Rugged Ridge looks nice, but I have read alot of mixed reviews on its functionality and how it works well only so often.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
I don't have a pic right now, but I'm using the Rugged Ridge 1ton setup and love it works flawless and very strong..
You like it do you? I was debating their setup or mine when I got my steering but I got a lot of negative feed back on the RR setup. Glad to hear its working out good for you.

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
I'm getting ready to install a Big Daddy tie rod upgrade, But when its time to go a full steering set up I have been looking at rock krawler
Rock Krawler Catalog

·
Registered
378 Posts
Here's what I'm currently running. It's the U-Turn steering kit by OffRoadOnly. It's one of only a few 100% bolt-on crossover steering kit that requires no additional mods. Install write-up and review: Jeepin.com - OffRoadOnly's U-Turn Steering System

With a retail price of about $650 though, it's not cheap, but if custom fab work and welding aren't an option for you, it's a good way to go and I'd highly recommend it. I've been running it on my rig for just over 4 years now. One thing I like about it is that it uses all tierod ends, no heim joints. It's not without its faults though. It raises the draglink mount up a couple of inches at the knuckle which make it no longer parallel with the trackbar, which results in a bit of bumpsteer. In regular driving it's never been noticeable to me though. And because the kit is designed to be 100% bolt on, you're really not improving your draglink angle by much at all

IMHO, the only steering design worth spending money on is a cross-over design. The inverted-T design, which is what most "1-ton" kits are, including the kits from T&T, JCR, RuggedRidge, and others has an inherent flaw that causes a dead spot/slop in the steering if there's very much angle on the draglink. This is also the same steering geometry found from the factory on the YJ. JCR and others have a bandaid fix for the issue where they replace one or more of the tierod end boots with a solid poly bushing which prevents the rodend from rotating, thereby reducing this sloppy feeling.

I tried one of the first tierod conversion kits on the market back in 1999 and it suffered from this issue pretty badly which prompted me to remove the kit after only a few months (after thinking my steering box had gone bad). You can see that the angle on my draglink wasn't all that much, but it was still enough to cause the tierod to roll, causing the sloppy steering feeling. I would never ever run another inverted-T steering kit ever again, ever.

This is what I had for steering on my last axle:

It was a D44 out of an SJ Wagoneer with flat-top D44 knuckles and a Parts Mike hi-steer arm on the passenger side. The tierod was run OTK with the draglink going to the hi-steer arm. Aside from a true all hi-steer setup where both the draglink and the tierod are raised up, this is one of the best steering designs IMHO. This is the same basic design you get doing the WJ knuckle conversion and it's what the new JK Wranglers come with stock. TeraFlex also offers a hi-steer D30 knuckle similar to the WJ/JK knuckles but designed to work with all your original parts.

Both the WJ conversion and the Tera knuckle require some fab work and welding, so they're not for everyone, but short of swapping in a whole new axle these are the best steering options available right now IMHO. Had I had a welder and known how to use it 4 years ago I'd have gone this route instead of the ORO U-Turn.

An added bonus to the WJ conversion over using just the Tera knuckle is you end up with more powerful calipers and bigger rotors with the WJ parts, vs the same stock brake components with the Tera kit. The flip side is that the Tera knuckle is an easier and simpler install.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts