Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot f people ask about lifts. this one is just about what you think. I was just looking at the rough country lifts and noticed that they are about as copleat as a lift kit gets these days. does anyone have any thoughts about them? I do not know anyone here that has one. I am not going to be running hard core. I gave that up a few years back.
just want some looks and have the extra ground clearance for 33's.
was looking at the 4.5" or the 6.5"....
Does the lift give you the actualy hight they say, how do they last?
any info would be great. Pic's of 4dr Xjs would be great aswell.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
well as far as price thats not the thing. I am not saying I am made of money I just do not care if it is 300 or 3000. it looks to me that it is a compleat kit compared to others out their.
anyone got pics of a 4.5 RC lift
Well then go with a 4.5" RE kit if price is no object:cheers:

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
everyone has RE and yes I would say they are a good kit but here I do not get shocks with the kit or tack bar and the price is alot more then the rc with shocks. thats why I am asking.
thanks for the link.
Also keep in mind the RC shocks are pretty rough if you are looking for a smooth ride you wont get it from those shocks. Also the tracbar's links arent as strong as others. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Yeah well that is the thing Kyle this will be a drive to work everyday jeep.
Well I can tell you I have ridden in a lot of lifted XJ's and by far the OME's are one of the best shocks for riding around town in.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes ther is a guy here with a toyota with the ome lift and he said it is great. I have had a 91 xj with 3" skyjacker and a 88 with 4" shyjacker and 2" blocks with 35's and a 454 in it and have road in a lot of bast##d lifts but I want to go with something different. I sent a few pm's to guys that have the RC 4.5 and hope to get some info.
I have to swap the d44 in at the sametime and now have to decide if I want 307's eith a limitted slip or 3.55's d44 in the rear none limitted slip.
with the 33's I sould go with the 3.55s for the ratio would you not think?

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
yes ther is a guy here with a toyota with the ome lift and he said it is great. I have had a 91 xj with 3" skyjacker and a 88 with 4" shyjacker and 2" blocks with 35's and a 454 in it and have road in a lot of bast##d lifts but I want to go with something different. I sent a few pm's to guys that have the RC 4.5 and hope to get some info.
I have to swap the d44 in at the sametime and now have to decide if I want 307's eith a limitted slip or 3.55's d44 in the rear none limitted slip.
with the 33's I sould go with the 3.55s for the ratio would you not think?
Im glad you found the guys around here with that lift, I know there were some.

·
Registered
378 Posts
everyone has RE and yes I would say they are a good kit but here I do not get shocks with the kit or tack bar and the price is alot more then the rc with shocks. thats why I am asking.
thanks for the link.
FYI: the RE 4.5" kits come with a trackbar. The RE 3.5" kits do not. Also, RE's components (control arms, swaybar disconnects, and heavy-duty trackbar) overall are a better design than RC's.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hear what you are saying jason but I am not going to be doing alot of off road. I work way tomuch and just do not have the time for one. that is one of the big things that cought my eye about the rc. a mid range price with mid range amount of the proper componits. I want the look with the ability to have ground clearance and proper alinments. if I were to go off road alot I would just spend the money and go 6" or more long arm.
I want to save that for the MJ build.
I was told that after I put the d44 in the rear I am going to get about 1/2" to 1 1/2" of lift in the rear. the lafs are new. maybe I will just put the mj ( 1" over xj) coils and the 2" spacers I have up front to leavel it up for now. and some 31's.
that way it gets some looks but she can still get in and out of it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
A D44 rear won't give you any lift, unless you're using taller replacement aftermarket leaf perches.

If you're really not going to be wheeling it and are just looking for clearance and looks, then the RC kit might be a better option seeing as how it's cheaper and you won't be needing the performance of the RE parts.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well I will have to differ with you on the lift of the d44 swap as it is bigger round then the d35 so that is a bit of lift. if I put the kit I am thinking of buying to just bolt the d44 under the springs it will lift a bit as well. I am told 1 to 1 1/2". I have the leafs out of the comanche aswell and I could put the second one in the pack that will lift. I did that one before and gaind 2 1/2". the MJ shackels alone are 1 1/2" longer then the XJ ones.
any way thanks for the info and as I build I will measure and take pic's

·
Registered
378 Posts
MJ shackles give you 1/2" of lift. The way that you figure how much lift you get out of shackles is you take the difference in the lengths and divide by 2.

As far as the D44 goes, whoever told you 1-1.5" is full of crap, plain and simple. The XJ D44 uses the exact same size tubes as the D35 does - 2.75" OD. So if you're installing an XJ D44 you'll get absolutely no lift what so ever. Even if you found some oddball D44 with 3.25" OD tubes (I think most are 3"), you're still only looking at 1/4" gain in height, not taking into account any potential differences in height of the spring perches. To get 1" of lift you'd have to be swapping in an axle with 5" OD tubes, use blocks, or some spring perches with lift built into them.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
http://motionoffroad.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_57&products_id=65
This is the perches I was thinking of using. and like I said this is what I am told if you differ thats ok but I am going to try it and then I will measure it all and let ya know.
I understand that you are trying to say that no lift comes from the swap or very little because it is the same diamiter housing but it is not the same. so I will get some lift. the shackes that are on the mj are longer to the point that when I divided by 2 I will get lift. already did the math on that one and like I said been there done that. so I know what lift I get with it. that was over 10 years ago so maybe I was a sleep. NOT.
anyway I will post pics in a month or so when I have all lift parts and the truck apart. then when I put it all togeather the truth will be in what I get out of it.
I never like to use blocks for reasons that I will not get into and will just make this thread go on and on.
agin thanks for you wisdom and ideas. I can not wait to build.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts