Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 98 xj i have 2 inch spacers and shackles. I want to purchase a 3inch suspension lift. Will i need to do anything with the driveshaft or anything els?

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Are you planning on keeping the shackles and spacers and adding the 3" lift to it for a total of 5" of lift, or are you just planning on installing the 3" lift and staying at 3"?

If you're going to stay with just 3" of lift, then I'd say that you may need a SYE and driveshaft. You will need longer shocks and extended brakelines. You will need to either redrill the hole for your current trackbar, or get an adjustable trackbar. You'll need to extend your bumpstops a bit too.

You'll also have to get an alignment done after your finished installing your lift, regardless if you stay at 3" or go to 5".

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
At 5" you are going to want to do a SYE and get an adjustable tracbar if you dont have one already. In the near future I would also consider upgrading your steering because your angles are going to be much different then what your stock steering was intended.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
true true. I think i might leave the spacers and shackles and go with a 2 inch suspension. But there too i might still have to do SYE right?

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
true true. I think i might leave the spacers and shackles and go with a 2 inch suspension. But there too i might still have to do SYE right?
Yup I have a 99 sitting at just over 4" and I needed a SYE badly, we have the same style TCase so its likely you will need one too.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
What 2" suspension would you consider? A 2" lift (only one I can think of is OME) is pretty expensive. If your goal is to attain 4" of lift, then you may just be better off saving up and getting a full kit. At that much height, adjustable control arms are also a plus, but not a necessity.

You can piece together your own lift as well by constructing a bastard pack, and buying some 4" coil springs for the front end.

Definately do some research and price things out so that you can put a budget together. With 4" of lift, I'm sure you'll also want bigger tires, possibly some new rims too. Like Kyle said, this adds up very quickly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts