Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

161 - 180 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I haven't done much of anything to the jeep except maintenance stuff. But winter has finally arrived to the Colorado mountains. It has been below freezing for 4 days straight and about 5 below zero in the mornings so the jeep is looking really cold.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Snow,

I am so glad someone is getting some snow. The Denver area is only getting traces here and there (I may regret saying that because I do snow removal and I just might have invited the flood gates to open).

It would be nice to go up and play in the snow some huh. Later, David

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
How much lift are you running up front? Looks like 5in or so? I was going to throw some spacers I had lying around on mine for around 5in. I'm flare-less so my 31's would look tiny with as much lift as that

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
I am so glad someone is getting some snow. The Denver area is only getting traces here and there (I may regret saying that because I do snow removal and I just might have invited the flood gates to open).

It would be nice to go up and play in the snow some huh. Later, David
We were talking about how dry it was up here and then a week later it started snowing so it does happen that way.

How much lift are you running up front? Looks like 5in or so? I was going to throw some spacers I had lying around on mine for around 5in. I'm flare-less so my 31's would look tiny with as much lift as that
Last time I measured it, I had 4.25 in the front and 4.5 in the rear. With 5in it they might look pretty small like you said especially with no flares. I was going to put in some bigger spacers up front but I didnt want to mess with the front end because I finally have it setup to where I have no more shimmies. After college I want to re do a lot of stuff on it but its my DD for now and I just want to keep it going strong for now.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Im so mad at the stupid thing I am really close to just selling the piece of junk. My DW came back today. Its been a year and about 500 bucks of parts later and still have yet to solve my DW for good. I can get it to go away for awhile but then randomly it will come back. Im so tired of being afraid to drive it all the time. So far I have done all new tie rod ends, ball joints, rough country tie rod, adjusted steering box.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Have you tried lengthening the lower control arms or having the tires re-balanced? trac-bar frame and axle bracket torqued down?
Control arms are fixed I was told the caster is fine by a reputable 4x4 shop. They have new bushings and the uppers have new moog bushings in the axle. Trac bar is tight on both ends and is a newer adjustable one with a little larger bolt in the axle side, frame side has never been touched. Tires were balanced a month ago but they are getting old and are cheap tires so that might be it but I don't have 900 bucks for new tires. :brickwall: The steering box feels loose again so I might try and replace it but I have heard that they wont cause DW. Unit bearings are original but don't make noise and feel tight and smooth. But all this amounts to about 1200 bucks.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Hmmm.. Man Sounds like you've checked off just about everything. Have you tried removing the front driveshaft? Maybe it's waaay out of balance. Pretty easy to take out if you think its worth a shot. I have fixed control arms as well and was able to lengthen them by about 1/2in by using 4 large nuts as washers instead of caster shims behind the LCA adjuster. you can try this as more caster might help with the DW. Goodluck

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Hmmm.. Man Sounds like you've checked off just about everything. Have you tried removing the front driveshaft? Maybe it's waaay out of balance. Pretty easy to take out if you think its worth a shot. I have fixed control arms as well and was able to lengthen them by about 1/2in by using 4 large nuts as washers instead of caster shims behind the LCA adjuster. you can try this as more caster might help with the DW. Goodluck
The driveshaft is a good idea and easy. I have an angle finder to I might see where its at and maybe add a little caster. I might just take out the 3/4 in spacer and see what that does.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you haven't rotated the tires, try that. Or get them rebalanced. Buddy got his rebalanced and his DW went away.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
I had them balanced a month ago for a shimmy at 55 and it took care of that and that has not come back yet. I going to stop by my 4x4 shop and ask them how much play is too much in a heim joint. But at the moment im leaning toward a completely new RE track bar set up with bracket because I have looked at my current track bar (Procomp) and they say its only good up to 4in. and Im at 4.5 right now.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
If you do get a new trackbar I recommended picking up a Double sheer one. The double sheer design can't be over flexed and they are quite a bit more rigid than the standard trackbar joints.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you do get a new trackbar I recommended picking up a Double sheer one. The double sheer design can't be over flexed and they are quite a bit more rigid than the standard trackbar joints.
I agree on the double sheer. that ball joint can only flex so far and thats not a great angle for it anyway, I got mine from iron rock (was the cheapest after discounts) and it has the double sheer and couldn't be happier.

·
Administrator
6,410 Posts
lifted1994xj said:
I had them balanced a month ago for a shimmy at 55 and it took care of that and that has not come back yet. I going to stop by my 4x4 shop and ask them how much play is too much in a heim joint. But at the moment im leaning toward a completely new RE track bar set up with bracket because I have looked at my current track bar (Procomp) and they say its only good up to 4in. and Im at 4.5 right now.
Clayton.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Ok so this is where im at with the huge pain in the ***. I recentered the axle with the track bar and looked at bushing and heim and they where both fine and also checked the control arm bolts which were still tight. I also took out the front driveshaft and then went for a 30 min drive up the highway and it was ok. I hit the same bump it caused that caused it to wobble a week ago and it was solid but over some bump and it felt like it still tried to wobble. But im not sure if it was just the tires and suspension moving or if it was trying to wobble. I am going to switch the rear shaft for the front shaft and see what that does, have the tires balanced again since its free and also have the rotors turned because they are a little warped. From there I think I might do the unit bearings. Really praying it is not the tires but if it is I will go 31x10.5r15 duratracs.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ok so this is where im at with the huge pain in the ***. I recentered the axle with the track bar and looked at bushing and heim and they where both fine and also checked the control arm bolts which were still tight. I also took out the front driveshaft and then went for a 30 min drive up the highway and it was ok. I hit the same bump it caused that caused it to wobble a week ago and it was solid but over some bump and it felt like it still tried to wobble. But im not sure if it was just the tires and suspension moving or if it was trying to wobble. I am going to switch the rear shaft for the front shaft and see what that does, have the tires balanced again since its free and also have the rotors turned because they are a little warped. From there I think I might do the unit bearings. Really praying it is not the tires but if it is I will go 31x10.5r15 duratracs.
I have been lucky and not have the death wobble but there are times when I hit a bump and there is a slight wobble in the steering wheel but it straightens itself out. I think its just the extra mass of 31" tires that make the wobble more noticeable than smaller tires.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Well just finished up doing the front seal, balancer, timing chain, timing cover gasket and adjusted the steering gear. The new chain really quited down the motor seems a tiny bit more reponsive. Now moving onto the front hubs and probably doing the axle u-joints as well while im in there. After that a good alignment...probably

161 - 180 of 207 Posts