Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4WD
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my cherokee is all stock with the exception of the 32" BFGs that the previous owner had put on. The problem is that I have no upwards travel before rubbing my fenders. Going back to stock tires is simply out of the question. The only recourse I have is to put a 3" lift on it. So, I'm turning to you guys for your recommendations on which kit I should go with. Help me, Cherokeetalk community. You're my only hope.

·
Premium Member
10,307 Posts
Does Princess Lea lift XJs :D

It kinda depends on how much you want to spend. You can go cheap or not. But basically you need a kit with front springs, shocks and new track bar. I would suggest looking at coil spring rates. You don't want to ride like a tank. Now after that there is a lot of difference between an add a leaf and full springs and shocks. I would recommend full springs. Zone has some good prices. Rubicon Express is a good company also

Reactions: JaceDaFace

·
Super Moderator
11,075 Posts
You can check out this link Budget mods for XJ it will help with some cheap alternatives to a full lift. But Zone is a good economical alternative. Rough country is cheap. components fail rather quickly.

·
Registered
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4WD
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does Princess Lea lift XJs :D

It kinda depends on how much you want to spend. You can go cheap or not. But basically you need a kit with front springs, shocks and new track bar. I would suggest looking at coil spring rates. You don't want to ride like a tank. Now after that there is a lot of difference between an add a leaf and full springs and shocks. I would recommend full springs. Zone has some good prices. Rubicon Express is a good company also
I'm gonna go with full springs and shocks because the bushings in it rn need replaced. I'm looking for something pretty soft riding when I'm on the trail, but also keeping in mind that this is my daily driver. I'm not factoring in price rn. I wanna see what's out there first.

·
Registered
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4WD
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can check out this link Budget mods for XJ it will help with some cheap alternatives to a full lift. But Zone is a good economical alternative. Rough country is cheap. components fail rather quickly.
I've heard the rough country lift wears out very quickly. I'll probably steer clear of their lift kit.

·
Premium Member
10,307 Posts
I'm gonna go with full springs and shocks because the bushings in it rn need replaced. I'm looking for something pretty soft riding when I'm on the trail, but also keeping in mind that this is my daily driver. I'm not factoring in price rn. I wanna see what's out there first.
That being said, then there is one thing you should pay attention to, well two actually. Most XJ kits use a leaf spring with a higher spring rate than stock. This is done to get away with not building as much arch into the spring and to give the lifted Jeep stability. Leaf springs come in single and two stage designs. The two stage has the bottom leaves flat so the spring gets a higher spring rate as it compresses. But this type of spring rides better than the single stage spring. So I would look for kits with this type of rear spring

The other thing is shock ratios. Road shocks that are designed for handling in curves have a 50/50 ratio. Shocks that ride smother have a ratio more like 90/10 so the shock compresses easily and dampens the rebound. This goes a long way towards making a good ride. Bilstien is a good example

Reactions: JaceDaFace

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, my cherokee is all stock with the exception of the 32" BFGs that the previous owner had put on. The problem is that I have no upwards travel before rubbing my fenders. Going back to stock tires is simply out of the question. The only recourse I have is to put a 3" lift on it. So, I'm turning to you guys for your recommendations on which kit I should go with. Help me, Cherokeetalk community. You're my only hope.
What is your end game with the jeep? I bought a stock 96 earlier this year and did a pretty good overhaul on it. Put a 3” rough country lift on it, 31” tires & 15” rims and it still rubbed. Trimmed the fenders and it is perfect. Took it on a couple fun rides, nothing difficult but long and in the middle of nowhere. Was happy with the results. Do you plan on wheeling or just cruising around? With 32” on it I would go 4” minimum just because my 31’s rubbed.

·
Registered
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4WD
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is your end game with the jeep? I bought a stock 96 earlier this year and did a pretty good overhaul on it. Put a 3” rough country lift on it, 31” tires & 15” rims and it still rubbed. Trimmed the fenders and it is perfect. Took it on a couple fun rides, nothing difficult but long and in the middle of nowhere. Was happy with the results. Do you plan on wheeling or just cruising around? With 32” on it I would go 4” minimum just because my 31’s rubbed.
I'll be doing what I'm doing now which is some light wheelin'. My tires only rub some of the time now, so I think a 3" lift will be fine for my applications.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts