·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 classic. Spline count?

·
Registered
600 Posts
For the rear I assume? Acutally with 96's you can't tell because that's the first year Chys. switched over from a 27 spline to 29 spline. Only way is to pull a shaft.

·
Registered
10 Posts
From what I understand, before 4/96 manufacture date, most likely 27, after, most likely 29.
That is not hard and fast, however.

Nick

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, for the rear.
Its an 8.25.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the rear I assume? Acutally with 96's you can't tell because that's the first year Chys. switched over from a 27 spline to 29 spline. Only way is to pull a shaft.
Really? Theres no way to find out without doing that? I was afraid that someone was gonna say that.

·
Registered
825 Posts
My buddy has a 95 and his was a 27 spline. Check out Aussie lockers too. My buddy has one and we were doing some wheeling yesterday and he did it in 2 wheel drive lol

·
Registered
934 Posts
Call a Chrysler parts department with your VIN. They should be able to tell you.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
My buddy has a 95 and his was a 27 spline. Check out Aussie lockers too. My buddy has one and we were doing some wheeling yesterday and he did it in 2 wheel drive lol
yeah '96 was the year they started putting in 29 spline axles. I got my 29 spline out of a '96. The best and most surefire way to tell is to pull the shafts. It's really not all to hard to do. Pull the diff plate, remove the set screw on the center pin, pull out two spider gears and the c clip will fall out. Pull the shafts, count the splines and do everything i just said in reverse :p

more than likely though, you have the 27 spline.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah '96 was the year they started putting in 29 spline axles. I got my 29 spline out of a '96. The best and most surefire way to tell is to pull the shafts. It's really not all to hard to do. Pull the diff plate, remove the set screw on the center pin, pull out two spider gears and the c clip will fall out. Pull the shafts, count the splines and do everything i just said in reverse :p

Ok, sounds easy enough. Thanx.
Iam replacing the old diff cover anyway, so i guess ill just do it all at once.

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts

I think all you really have to do is pull out the center pin and then push the axle in. It'll go in about 1/4-1/2" and then you mark a spline and count as you rotate the tire. Saves a little time.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Spline counts aren't on the build sheets, however a dealership may be able to look it up by the vin because in the event that they have to change a shaft/carrier/etc they have to know the spline count of that axle shaft, and chances are if they don't have to pull it until they do the repair, they aren't going to which means that they have to be able to look up the correct parts.

If the dealer can't help you get the right spline count, then do what Mudd said, you shoould definitely be able to get the spline count that way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spline counts aren't on the build sheets, however a dealership may be able to look it up by the vin because in the event that they have to change a shaft/carrier/etc they have to know the spline count of that axle shaft, and chances are if they don't have to pull it until they do the repair, they aren't going to which means that they have to be able to look up the correct parts.

If the dealer can't help you get the right spline count, then do what Mudd said, you shoould definitely be able to get the spline count that way.
Yea, iam gonna do what Mudd said cuz i still dont know my jeep inside and out yet. Iam a newb when it comes to xjs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanx for the tips guys

1 - 17 of 17 Posts