Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is my first time on the forum so if this belongs somewhere else I'm sorry. I've been looking at some old Cherokees ('01 and before) and was just wondering if this underside rust is too bad or fixable or just what your input would be. Thanks for the help!
underside video

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Where I come from, PA, we call that surface rust and no big deal. Where are you located? How many miles on her? The shocks bag easily be replaced. The rest you can wire brush then paint with POR 15.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Buddy, it don't look that bad, just surface rust. And your xj is a unibody. As long as the frame is good no holes, even if there was a bit you could always put frame stiffeners on it. You don't have any holes in the frame like this

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and welcome to the forum. Where I come from, PA, we call that surface rust and no big deal. Where are you located? How many miles on her? The shocks bag easily be replaced. The rest you can wire brush then paint with POR 15.
Thanks so much. I haven't been able to figure out what makes it surface vs deep rust. I'm in NJ, #1 90k #2 120k

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Shocks and sway bar links can be replaced.
Sway bar can be cleaned up and POR15'ed or something.
The rusty track bar mount might want to be looked at but betting
just needs to be cleaned up too like the sway bar.
Rest looks OK to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shocks and sway bar links can be replaced.
Sway bar can be cleaned up and POR15'ed or something.
The rusty track bar mount might want to be looked at but betting
just needs to be cleaned up too like the sway bar.
Rest looks OK to me.
yeah the plan is to lift it so obviously shocks, leaf springs, etc aren't what I'm concerned about

·
Registered
182 Posts
For real... Wire brush, clean, repeat if needed, por 15 it's really worth it, I could show you before and after. And it has slowed the battle with rust. If your planning a lift, really.. really.. research it, figure out what tires you plan on running, plan it out right, wish I would have really researched before I just started lifting. Wanted 2", ended with 4.5, and not regretting it a bit. But I wish I would have maybe just bought a complete Zone, or Rubicon Express kit to begin with, so everything just lines up, instead of trial and error.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I did not see a picture of it but you might want to give the front diff
a good look in the area where the coil springs sit on top of it and the
shocks mount to. Seen some shots of other peoples XJ's where that area
is totally wasted. Looking at your other pics thinking that is not going to be
a problem though.
Doesn't look bad to me at all.
Thinking a little "housekeeping" and you are good to go.
When I had to remove my bumper to put on some factory front tow hooks I sourced
I decided to do some "housekeeping" myself. Figured everything was wide open so why not.
Before and after done with POR 15.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts