Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I want to build a new rear bumper...i have a spair tire rack im putting on and that is sitting in my room now but instead of cutting and drilling into the stock i was thinking i want to build a new one with a trailer hitch built into it. So I have a good idea of what i want already but before i start the drawings of it maybe see what some of u guys have to give me some new ideas to make it the best i can.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gunna mess around wit some ideas this weekend.....i will post some pics hopefuly after the weekend.Just picked a buch of steel from one of the local steel scap bins,so i will be fab`n big time....stoked!
nice keep me posted cause i want to see some other ideas...and where did u get ur metal cause idk where i can buy some

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Here is my homemade rear bumper. Cost around $100 with some 3/6" scrap I had laying around and the reciever from an old hitch which I cut off and included in the tubing.
You tryin to mess with our heads or something?? Common terms would be 1/2" right? :peep:

Just messin' with ya Blue!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is my homemade rear bumper. Cost around $100 with some 3/16" scrap I had laying around and the reciever from an old hitch which I cut off and included in the tubing.
That is close to what im thinkin about building thanks now i have a pic to look at:cheers:

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
I am in the process of building a rear bumper right now. Right now I have all the parts cut and just need to be welded, so ill take pictures and give you measurements.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts

So the plate is 4.5"x6.5", the rectangle tube that connects the plate and bumper is 2.5", the bumper is 65" across, and the end peices are 4.5". All the tubing is 2"x4". Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

So the plate is 4.5"x6.5", the rectangle tube that connects the plate and bumper is 2.5", the bumper is 65" across, and the end peices are 4.5". All the tubing is 2"x4". Good luck :thumbsup:
sweet that was close to what i was thinkin about doin...looks good thanks...and want to see pics when it on looks good:bow:

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
The first thing you will have to do is build the mounting brackets. These will have to run along the bottom of the rails where the gas tank skid plate mounts. There are two flat iron inserts with nuts welded on them through which the bolts pass. These are removable which is good since many times you can't get the bolts out. Most of the time, 2X1/4" angle iron is used for these. These pieces are critical since if you attach a spare tire carrier to the bumper itself, it will tear a stock bumper and bracket apart. That is why the stock Jeep carriers attach to the body also. The after market ones attach only to the bumper. I am assuming you have one of these. So start with a good foundation and go from there.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Yeah if you plan on using your bumper for a recovery point you can go that route, but if you have a tow hitch then it's not necessary to also attach it to the frame.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The first thing you will have to do is build the mounting brackets. These will have to run along the bottom of the rails where the gas tank skid plate mounts. There are two flat iron inserts with nuts welded on them through which the bolts pass. These are removable which is good since many times you can't get the bolts out. Most of the time, 2X1/4" angle iron is used for these. These pieces are critical since if you attach a spare tire carrier to the bumper itself, it will tear a stock bumper and bracket apart. That is why the stock Jeep carriers attach to the body also. The after market ones attach only to the bumper. I am assuming you have one of these. So start with a good foundation and go from there.
yeah that is a good point...but with the tire carrier its a stock jeep on i got from a junk yard for cheep and just re painted it...but i want to do a new bumper any ways

1 - 14 of 14 Posts