Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 v6 trailhawk
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I really did search for this. What tough-sidewall 245/70/R17 A/T are recommended for Trailhawk?

I have the stock P245/65/17R tires that came with the vehicle. On my last (2014) Trailhawk, the sidewall of the stock tires blew out on the first trip, so I replaced the with Dueller a/t REV2 LT245/70/17R.

I just tried to get the same Dueller a/t REV2 LT245/70/17R at local shops, and no one seems to carry them. The have P245/70/17R Dueller rev 3, and Mud-terrain T/A KM3 LT245/70/R17/E, etc.

It was accepted that LT tires had much tougher sidewalls than P tires, way back in 2014. All I really care is to have 245/70/17 A/T tires with tough sidewall. Tires don't really have plies like they did, but we used to say that the stock P tires were 4-ply equivalent for the main tread, maybe 1 ply for the sidewalls, whereas the LTs were 10 ply for the tread, and 3 for the sidewalls.

Mea Culpa if thishas been asked, but I didn't find it in the advanced search.

·
Super Moderator
10,519 Posts
Load range is usually a indication of sidewall plys. Load range C is I the passenger tire range and generally 3 ply. Load range D and E are usually LT's with the E's being 10 ply sidewalls. This is why they are so much heavier and can be aired way down before the sidewall flexes. It also makes for a much rougher ride because of the stiff sidewall.

·
Premium Member
9,291 Posts
It should say what load range the tires are on the sidewall. Not all LTs are Load range D or better. Michelin is a good example. Bear in mind that the stiffer sidewall will give you less traction off road if that is where you are going with this. You may even find your original tires are load range B. It is in the fine print

Reactions: hwstock

·
Registered
2020 v6 trailhawk
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, as I said, I had deuller rev 2 LT245/70/R17 on the older trailhawk (i4 instead of V6) for 6 years, and was quite happy with those tires. I went through 2 sets. They were load range E. I just can't seem to get them locally, and I want to use the existing rims, so just ordering them through tire rack is a problem. Out here in the desert, sidewall puncture is a very serious problem. The stock destination a/t p245/65/r17 have a load rating of just 105T, and I blew out a sidewall in my second use on the first trailhawk, so I'm anxious to replace them on the new one (new trailhawk has the exact same tire model as stock). Pity I'll get rid of 5 new tires.

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
I don't understand the issue here. Order through tire rack and take them to a local tire shop to have them mounted. Or find a local shop that carries Bridgestone/Firestone and have them order them. If they carry that brand, there isn't any good reason they can't get a tire made by them. Unless its discontinued, which happens pretty often.

EDIT: I guess I just needed more emphasis on the Rev2 and Rev3 notes in your posts. I reread them and what I'm guessing is that the rev2 has been replaced with the rev3. Doesn't matter, the bridgestone website doesn't even list your size in an LT, just a P rating.

I suggest moving to a Cooper tire, specifically the AT3. Its comparable to the bridgestones and probably a better tire. Its made in USA and guaranteed to 60,000mi instead of 50,000mi.

·
Registered
2020 v6 trailhawk
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
May be an issue of where I live, but I haven't found a shop willing to mount tires I didn't buy at the shop. But I'll try again.

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
Did you check with your dealer? A decent jeep dealer will understand you want to upgrade to quality tires instead of the lesser stock ones. They might even buy the good stock ones from you if they are in close to new condition. They sold you a vehicle, they will (should) be willing to make you happy and order the tires you want.

·
Registered
2020 v6 trailhawk
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks -- the coopers look good, and there are carried by some of the local shops in the correct size. Much thanks.

·
Registered
2020 v6 trailhawk
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The jeep dealer does FCA-sanctioned tire upgrades for wranglers and rubicons and gladiators, alas there were no upgrade options for cherokees.

·
Premium Member
9,291 Posts
Whenever I want my own tires mounted, I find the tire shops the Mexicans go to. They are hungrier and will do whatever it takes to make a buck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts