Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how easy/hard it is to change to power windows? And also where I could find a good kit at a decent price? Thanks!!

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Reactions: TgRamsey

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha. Reading that has me thinkin twice! Maybe I'll stick to doin power locks! Having ppl in my jeep all the time and having to reach over around and all about to unlock doors is drivin me bonkers!

·
Marshmallow
3,780 Posts
You can do power locks with a good alarm set up. Power windows are a PITA to install. Leave them manual. You see all these threads asking for help with windows that won't go up or are stuck down. I like my manual windows, they only are stuck up or down if i break both my arms.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Can anyone tell me how easy/hard it is to change to power windows? And also where I could find a good kit at a decent price? Thanks!!
I have done it. You need to go to a wrecking yard and get the power mechanisms, switches and the door panel from an XJ. They are riveted in so take a cordless drill to drill the pop rivets out. Get as much wiring as you can, at least the plugs. You will have to run the wires across the vehicle dash area. Use 14X1/2" allen screws and nylock nuts to put the stuff in the door. Power locks are a bolt in too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4.3L XJ said:
I have done it. You need to go to a wrecking yard and get the power mechanisms, switches and the door panel from an XJ. They are riveted in so take a cordless drill to drill the pop rivets out. Get as much wiring as you can, at least the plugs. You will have to run the wires across the vehicle dash area. Use 14X1/2" allen screws and nylock nuts to put the stuff in the door. Power locks are a bolt in too.
Thanks bud!

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts

·
Marshmallow
3,780 Posts
that's what A/C is for!

·
Registered
621 Posts
No more power windows for me.This Jeep had them and I deleted them. The drivers widow took about 35 minutes to roll up with the weak motor...lol:thumbdown:

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I've had power windows in all my cars but have also done the manual to power conversion usin autoloc power windo conversion. Honestly, its a pita if ur not to good fishin wires or have the patcience to do so. Plus it is a bit pricey but there better then buy some flee bay conversions that break. The only downside wit them is when u have the lil problem wit the power window switch n have to dod the jumper. Other then that I love them.

·
Marshmallow
3,780 Posts
Go to the JY and find an XJ with windows and locks and buy all the doors. Still have to wire them up but you'll save slicing up your arms.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
if u go to the jy n get the dord form the jeep ur alsogonna have to take the key from the donor jeep. U could aslo swap out ur door locks wit that of the donor jeeps doors cuz don't forget its gonnna be 2 different keys. I'm not sure if u been told or not but the rear hatch also has a power lock. There r pros n cons to havin power anemites, some r useful where as some r not needed. Also the door will gain weight. Is it manditory to have all power windows or jst the 2 front, same goes for the locks. Jst curious. Here is the link to autoloc: http://www.autoloc.com/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm picking up my first cherokee tomorrow.a 2000 with 54000 miles.only downer is manual windows.if i figure out you will be the first to know.btw you are HOT!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
No video, but I have done it. Do yourself a favor and get some 1/4" automotive pop rivets and a rivet gun to go with them. It will make the process much easier for you

1 - 18 of 18 Posts