Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

My jeep cherokee has 160,000 miles on it with a 4.0 and 5 speed manual transmission.
Can someone help with valuable information?
After having someone change my clutch plate, throughout bearing, pressure plate, and slave cylinder, there is now a problem.
I drove about 2000 miles since the operation and now the clutch will not work.
No strange noises or behaviour prior to the event.

When I push in the clutch I can not engage gears while the engine is running, but the gears engage with no engine on. I can "start" in first, but then stuck in first.

I checked the master and slave cylinder for leaks, full reservoir. I can have someone pump the clutch while listening to the slave and hear sounds and feel vibrations.

When I have the person pump and hold the clutch I tried to bleed what may be air out of the system and while removing the hex bleed screw no fluid comes out, tried repeatedly and no avail.

Could this be the master cylinder?
Is there an off the shelf tool to pressurize or trouble shoot this issue?

Any recommendations?
Thanks.

I am new to this forum, but will send cool pictures of me being stuck in exchange for help (the only bargaining power I have)

·
Registered
606 Posts
It sounds like a master slave issue to me can you take it back to whoever replaced your clutch could be a defective clutch.Really hard to say good luck with it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Warranty on repair.
Do master cylinders fail like this? A new one is $65.00 and I would like to be sure.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Definitely sounds like it could be the master cylinder, especially since it was the only other thing that you did not replace other than the pilot bearing. With 160,000 miles on what I assume is the original, I am not surprised. When I did my clutch this summer, I replaced my master cylinder and the old one definitely felt like it was on its way out.

One way to be sure is to take it apart and check its functionality.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well,
Is the master cylinder failing common? Could these symptons also indicate a faulty clutch replacement?

I will most likely change it hoping to solve the problem since I would really expect fluid out of the bleed hole of the slave during compression. The fix seems obvious. I just have more confidence in the 10 year old master cylinder then in the mechanic that replaced my clutch.

Thanks.
I will be checking other responses and uploaded some pics

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
On my 88, someone with a tremendous lack of both brain cells and mechanical skills used teflon tape on the master cylinder to slave flared fittings.

A tiny piece of the teflon got into the valve in the master cylinder and all the fluid would flow back into the resevoir instead of operating the slave cylinder. I ended up driving 3 miles with no clutch and starting the engine back up in first at stop signs / lights.

Do not use teflon tape on any flared fittings, banjo fittings or AN fittings.

This applies to brakes, clutches, fuel lines, air or vacuum lines ... it'll only cause you trouble.

If any of these fittings leak, there's dirt, other contaminat or damage to the line or fittings and they do not have to be torqued down like a head bolt flare nuts on a vehicle about 20 Ft/Lbs, banjo fittings about 30-35.

I repeat:
Do not use teflon tape on any flared fittings, banjo fittings or AN fittings.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Well,
Is the master cylinder failing common? Could these symptons also indicate a faulty clutch replacement?

I will most likely change it hoping to solve the problem since I would really expect fluid out of the bleed hole of the slave during compression. The fix seems obvious. I just have more confidence in the 10 year old master cylinder then in the mechanic that replaced my clutch.

Thanks.
I will be checking other responses and uploaded some pics
With proper maintenacne, fresh fluid, etc. I've seen these cylinders, and wheel cylinders also, go 2-3 hundred thousand miles on some of my vehicles. But then, I'm fairly easy on brakes and clutches anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts