Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i got a 44 for the back of the xj...4.88s and eventually getting an arb or ox locker...

in the front i have an open hp30 with 4.88s...

what front axle will match the rear in width,strength and bolt pattern?....

im planning on getting 35x15.50 pitbull maddogs or 36.13.50 iroks...

i know the open 30 wild hold the tires...but wheeling real carefull..i dont plan to go out there and destroy the rig...but i will like to know if there are some options...

·
Registered
378 Posts
what front axle will match the rear in width,strength and bolt pattern?....
uhh, what's the D44 out of? can't say what front will match in terms of width and bolt pattern if you don't tell us what the rear width and bolt pattern are. ;)

You'll either want to stick with the D30 or do a D44 if you can build one yourself for cheap. Since a D44 uses the same u-joint as a D30, IMHO the only way to make a D44 truly an upgrade over a D30 is to run alloy shafts and "super joints" (ie: CTMs, OX, Yukons, or Longfields). Otherwise you've got the same weakest link as you do with the '30.

·
Registered
444 Posts
a D44 out of a scout would work.. i believe they called them narrow track?? something like that.. also certain years of the Wagoneers came with narrow 44s..
if your set up with some fabrication equipment you might look at narrowing a full width axle.. its not too much of a challenge, just need to be pretty meticulous when resetting your caster..

·
Registered
378 Posts
a D44 out of a scout would work.. i believe they called them narrow track?? something like that.. also certain years of the Wagoneers came with narrow 44s..
if your set up with some fabrication equipment you might look at narrowing a full width axle.. its not too much of a challenge, just need to be pretty meticulous when resetting your caster..
I thought Scouts were all passenger side drop axles?

1980's model Waggy 44 front would work too as far as width goes, that's what I used to run. It's low pinion though.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my 44 came of an 88 xj....

i mean...

can the 30 handle those tires?..

i know the "real upgrade" will be a dynatrack custom axle..but hey... $$$$

·
Registered
378 Posts
we're running 36x13.5" Iroks on locked D30s on both our Jeeps. Only had the tires out a few times but so far so good. Been wheeling both Jeeps for years on 35s with no breakage.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so..

i mean is it worth putting a locker and crhomoly in the dana turdy?

·
Registered
378 Posts
so..

i mean is it worth putting a locker and crhomoly in the dana turdy?
I've got alloy shafts, 4.56s, manual hubs, ARB locker, weld-on LCA skids, crossover steering... on my "turdy". ;) It's a low pinion 30 as well, so it's even turdier. :p

Our TJ's turdy has 4.88s and an OX locker. Got a set of alloys for it too, just haven't installed them yet.

Whether or not it's worth it is just up to you though. For some guys, nothing short of a D60 is worth it. For me, building our turdies was worth it because I could do it over time, the parts were a direct bolt-in (I couldn't weld at the time), it meant not swapping out the rear axle, I knew they'd hold up to how we were going to use them, and parts (and spares) are plentiful to find.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts