·
muddin moderator
4,045 Posts
correct. maybe use a t fitting?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm ok, thanks boys. was kinda looking to not start killing off gauges and having dead instrument panel gauges. as that would start throwing codes in a 96 would it not?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
done. used a simple 1/8th t fitting, and a 1/8th threaded adapter. undid the sender housing and all from its place on the side of the block, inserted t fitting and adapter in between the two (housing and sending unit) and threaded mechanical gauge tube into top of t fitting. ran it threw the rubber grommet i poked a hole in just above and to the right of where the throttle cable runs threw the fire wall. ran it up threw the dash, note its super easy when the defrost vent is undone, and the head unit is out aswell. ran the tube up threw the defrost vent and into the back side of my home made gauge pod. took a rockstar cola energy drink can, carefully cut the top off, inserted gauge, ran wires and tube out the side of the can, can sits on its side on top of the dash above the head unit and the wires are hidden by the can sitting on top of them on 3M Velcro tape. and aswell by other gauges soon to come in the same pods. will post pictures later.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You used a can for a guage housing, cool:thumbsup: I like this I wonder if a 16 oz coors light can would work ...:rofl: :rofl: gotta see the pics.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
well if it has the same diameter of a standard pop can your golden.

just use a 2 1/4? inch gauge. works rather well. takes a little skill to cut the pop can open though. a dremel with a cut off wheel works best from what ive found.

·
Premium Member
9,027 Posts
You can do it all with fittings from a hardware store. I did the same thing on my Chevy engine because my gauges are analogue and the engine is computerized and needs to register oil pressure or it will shut down. Here is a pic. Both sensors are on a T fitting at the right of the pic.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup thats basicly exactly what i have only im just running a second analog gauge inline with my factory one. little more to the second gauge. and im loving how i have it mounted. next two gauges will be two of these.

AEM Oil Temperature Gauge 100-300F w/Analog Face - AEM Part# 30-5140

one for water temp and one for trans temp. both will be able to be set up to match my current gauge for the oil pressure. but again, these will fit perfectly inside the end of a pop can, for me its a rockstar cola can.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE!!!! for everyone wanting to see pictures of my guage, i finally harassed my buddy enough to take some! :D :D

(please ignore the ****ty cell picture quality lol)

hope everyone is able to see them fine lol!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thing about a beer can is that most are light colors and the glare off the windshield gets pretty bad. i cant stand glare, but if you can look threw it giver, but thats why i used the rockstar cola can as its flat black.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey shortbus, just bought my first Jeep xj 4.0l yesterday. test drive didnt reveal oil pressure issue but after an hour long drive home i stopped at a light and boom... check gauges light came on because of low oil pres. Im not tracking on how you connected both the mechanical gauge as well as the stock gauge via the stock pressure sender. i cannot view your pics unfortunately. but i would looove to recreate what you did.

·
Registered
607 Posts
so it says i thread an adapter into the block... ok.... where? anyone care to enlighten me? hahaha
I used a 1/8" NPT T fitting & pipe nipples, ran the run to the OEM OPS, and put a "dry-break" on the branch to hook up a mechanical diagnostic gage.

The "dry-break" works - most I lose is a drop when I connect/disconnect the gage, with the engine running.

·
Registered
23 Posts
then ill loose my stock oil pressure gauge correct?
done. used a simple 1/8th t fitting, and a 1/8th threaded adapter. undid the sender housing and all from its place on the side of the block, inserted t fitting and adapter in between the two (housing and sending unit) and threaded mechanical gauge tube into top of t fitting. ran it threw the rubber grommet i poked a hole in just above and to the right of where the throttle cable runs threw the fire wall. ran it up threw the dash, note its super easy when the defrost vent is undone, and the head unit is out aswell. ran the tube up threw the defrost vent and into the back side of my home made gauge pod. took a rockstar cola energy drink can, carefully cut the top off, inserted gauge, ran wires and tube out the side of the can, can sits on its side on top of the dash above the head unit and the wires are hidden by the can sitting on top of them on 3M Velcro tape. and aswell by other gauges soon to come in the same pods. will post pictures later.
Hey Bryce - great comments - I now will go the same path with an Autometer Mechanical Oil Pressure gauge (XJ 4.0). As I understood - you used a standard T fitting and you simply screwed in the connector for the mechanical gauge and also the OEM pressure-sender for the dash gauge, right ? Pictures are very much appreciated - unfortunately can't see the pics you have posted here - many thanks !

·
Registered
823 Posts
I don't know if this would help you but I set up mine so I could attach a mechanical gauge to check pressure without removing the oil sensor.
I know I bought all the brass from O'Reilly's. If you want the part numbers let me know and I will check my files.
DSCN0806.JPG
DSCN0804.JPG

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know if this would help you but I set up mine so I could attach a mechanical gauge to check pressure without removing the oil sensor.
I know I bought all the brass from O'Reilly's. If you want the part numbers let me know and I will check my files. View attachment 227053 View attachment 227054
Very cool - many thanks, Ralph - I guess, this is exactly the installation I am looking for as you can use the mechanical gauge as an option or hooked up permanently. Any part numbers are very much appreciated - thanks! Also: I would like to use a braided stainless steel hose instead of the nylon tube.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Very cool - many thanks, Ralph - I guess, this is exactly the installation I am looking for as you can use the mechanical gauge as an option or hooked up permanently. Any part numbers are very much appreciated - thanks! Also: I would like to use a braided stainless steel hose instead of the nylon tube.
I don't know how a permanent mechanical gauge would hook up so I don't know if this would work for you. I know that my OTC mechanical oil pressure tester screws into the capped port you see in the first picture. The second picture is the hose from the OTC tool.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts