Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching this for a couple hours now, with no real results. I would like to put some Metal cloak dual rate coils on the front of my Jeep. I am looking for 5" of lift. Metal Cloak sells TJ coils only and sells 3.5" or 5.5". My concern is getting the 5.5" coils and ending up at 6.5" which is where i am at right now. Does anybody know someone that has actually put Metal Cloak springs on their XJ and how much lift they ended up with? I found one person with actual results, but I am hoping for more confirmation.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Should only be a 1" difference between TJ and XJ heights with the same coil. But I have no idea about MetalCloak, so I don't know if it will act like Rubi Express or Rough Country....a little tall or a little short lol.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, Pirate and NAXJA both have write-ups on coils rates and size for TJ's and all chaerokees. Pretty much listing what height you will get with what spring. That is what actually got me more concerned because stock to stock, TJ springs will net you -1" But there are some TJ lift coils that will actually net you more lift on your XJ than on a TJ... as much sense as that makes lol

·
Administrator
6,413 Posts
What height are you going for? And if I may ask, why do you think you need dual-rate coils?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Going for 5" or in that ball park. I mean I'm not super picky. I don't need dual rate coils, I just want them. I hear good things, I want to change my front springs, and I figure why not try them out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A brand new set of TJ 3.5" coils when installed on the XJ sit at 15.5". A set of TJ 5.5" coils installed on a TJ and run for a year or so are sitting at 18.25". I have an e mail in to engineering to see if we have 5.5" coil/XJ numbers. If we have the numbers I will let you guys know.

[email protected]

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Wait, what? You mean that 3.5" lift TJ coils on an XJ are 15.5" tall, not 15.5" of lift....

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No worries. With these numbers I'm sure i can come to a reasonable estimate. Just as soon as I get a measuring tape lol

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
A brand new set of TJ 3.5" coils when installed on the XJ sit at 15.5". A set of TJ 5.5" coils installed on a TJ and run for a year or so are sitting at 18.25". I have an e mail in to engineering to see if we have 5.5" coil/XJ numbers. If we have the numbers I will let you guys know.

[email protected]
Im a little confused apparently.....what do you mean by this? What are the numbers you provided, compressed height?, lift height (can't be)?, or what?

Sorry, must be one of those days...

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Ah, that makes more sense, thanks.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so stock XJ coils run ~11.5" compressed. a compressed 15.5" coil is 4" of lift over stock. The onle person who I found that actually ran the coils said he netted about 6" of lift on the 5.5" spirngs, which seems more true now. So with a winch bumper, and a little abuse, I will sit pretty much where i wanted to on the 5.5" coils.... in theory

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure if it's relevant but the XJ that I measured is bone stock bumper wise in the front. The TJ with the 5.5" coils has our front bumper with a stinger/grill guard and a Warn powerplant with synthetic line.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Oh ok, yea that changes it a little bit. Seems like I would be expecting around 6.5" of lift even with a bumper then. That it where I am sitting now, and I would like it a bit lower. If I go the Metalcloak route, I think it would be better to get the 3.5" coil and a spacer to set the height i want.

Thank you for the help. that wold have been a little disapointing if I had ordered those and ended up with the same lift height I have now

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Bump. Anybody running these? Ive been thinking about new coils lately.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts