Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a great combo i hear but I need to figure out a way to make them work together.

Got a rotting gas tank on my k2500 that needs replaced. Bolts just spin in the frame. The breather fitting just......fell off. It is also leaking gas on bottom of tank.

So there is leaking gas and also gas vapors. I need to either cut bolts, the strap, or access holes on bed to get to bolts.

What is the best way to do so without becoming charred?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
My first instinct is to drain the tank since it's already leaking. Just open up the hole or make a new one.

No torches, no grinders. My go-to would be an electric or pneumatic saw. Reaching your bolts may be hard to do but then reality is your straps are probably junk anyhow, so just zip em off and yank the tank.

New tank, straps, and hardware.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
And obviously do it outside or open the garage door. But you know that.

·
Premium Member
11,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Straps are in good shape and was hoping to save them but looks like they gotta get chopped.

Truck is outside of course.

Another issue I ran into was the fuel line connectors at the pump. They usually have plastic release clips that you push into the fitting to release but the PO didn't install these clips when he did the pump. There is no room to use a fuel line tool either. I gotta figure out how to get the lines off.

·
Premium Member
11,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
20200318_172046.jpg

Bought a Diablo and cut the bolts. These blades are pretty tough.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Looks like you haven't blown up yet!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts