Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
Ten inches is a lot of lift. You will have track bar problems, have to have long bar top and bottom links if you don't already have them and a high steer and spend a lot of money. Or you could extend your bump stops down a little

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
welcome to CT from SC! Nice rig. what size tires are they.... i have 6 inch lift and it rubs a small bit on for my 32"s.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Moved to the correct section.

You need to properly bumpstop. Many run 35's with 5.5-6.5" of lift, because they use bumpstops. I would look into that option first. You could probably also drop your rig a couple inches and keep that COG lower.

I also don't recommend using chains, regardless what they're rated for, as recovery tools.

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
Just bumpstop it. You will be good. 10" of lift will present steering, driveshaft and other issues.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Tater was sitting at almost 10in... i put together a little picture thing its called My '93 XJ "Tater" its in the jeep picture forum area.. check it out..
FRONT
you'll definitely need control arm drop brackets if your still running the short arms.. i bought the 8.5-9" coils from Rusty's then put two factory pucks on each side..
REAR
I started with a 4.5in leaf pack, axle wrap ruined that so i put together a custom leaf pack that made it more of a 5.5in pack i think..
anyways.. its a 4.5" XJ main leaf and 2nd leaf then the 3rd 4th and 5th leafs are the 3rd 4th and 5th leafs out of a front Wagoneer spring.. then under that is an anti wrap leaf out of a later model s10 pick up then 3in blocks..
i know what people say about blocks and how they cause more problems then they solve but with those anti wrap springs in the mix that rig had next to NO wrap..

it wont be cheap ill tell ya that right now..

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
nice looking rig. welcome to the hen house..... I wont say anything about the chains..... 10" can be done but like its been said lots of time and money. if you look on youtub and look under comanche you will find some 10" and 12" mjs and xjs.. you might want to look at puting waggy front leafs in the front to help with the cost of 10" lift. but by the look of the size of them chains the are pricy so you have money to burn... hooooopps I said something about the chains///sorry....lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd start with narrower rims and Q~78's myself, then an axle swap or uprades, then......well......are you running long arms?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Heres what i had to do the front of mine..

- Rusty's 8.5-9" coils
- Rusty's UCAs and LCAs with forged flex joints
- Control Arm drop brackets **scored these out of the wrecking yard.. not sure who makes them though**
- Custom 1ton steering
- Custom BDS track bad and Custom upper and lower track bar mounts..
- BDS extended brake lines

some will tell you that 9" is far too tall.. I strongly disagree.. i ran no sway bars on mine, it flexed like a sonovabitch, and as long as you drove it like such... not like it was a vette... it was absolutely a dream to drive on the road...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice steering, but my opinion would have been to dump all that short arm jibberish and gone to a Clayton long arm set up.........After driving a few, I can tell ya about driven like a Cadillac & flex'in like rock star.......

Nice set up though ya got there.......:pop:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the chain!

the chain is there for some comedy. i dont actually use it and i'm just to lazy to take it off. THANX a bunch for the pictures and description of what you did. i will check out Rusty's. i have already put longer and adjustable lower control arms on, the uppers i lenghtened myself. i do have a rubicon adjustable track bar. but only 2" blocks on the rear. maybe 3" blocks and longer shackels for the rear. 9" coils for the front and some longer bump stops are the ticket. the front sway bar is off but the rear is still on. this thing i am creating is starting to function like it looks. if any body is in the colorado springs area shoot me an email. i will try the suggestions and shoot some pictures and let ya'll know how everything worked. im in the middle of a spring over on a wrangler right now post the pic's soon. any more ideas let me know.

thanx

·
Registered
444 Posts
i agree with detour.. my set up flexes AWESOME but a long arm set up would flex just as much as mine without 90% of the mods i've had to do to mine to make it travel so much

1 - 15 of 15 Posts