Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thanks for the advise. all is welcome. I can't wait to post some pics. I have spent hours readind threads. this site is great and I have learned a lot. since I will be driving my new baby from MA to Brooklyn a lot what are some good ways to get the best MPG.

·
muddin moderator
4,045 Posts
keep everything stock (no bigger tires, no lift, no heavy skids... take it easy on the skinny pedal... and keep it at about 55-60 not any faster ... keep your load light... and of course routine maintenance is a key factor to decent fuel economy

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
:agree:

My Cherokee likes to cruise at about 2200RPM's and this where i get the best MPG as well.

:rock:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
A cheapie tune-up could prove to pay for itself pretty quick in gas savings... Some Seafoam and new 'plugs should help substantially... I picked up a good 50 miles/tank when I did mine a few months ago. Granted mine is older than yours, and it's been quite a while since I tuned it up.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
online you can find some nice tune up package's in the $50-60 range.
Including, air filter,oil filter, fuel filter, plugs, wires, and distributer cap
x2 on the seafoam

·
Premium Member
11,622 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
A side note on Seafoam - follow the instructions pretty closely, I've heard quite a few stories of people not following them and ending up with engine issues. I've used it for years and never had any issues, and the success stories far outnumber the bad ones so don't let that put you off.
Also, it wouldn't hurt to have the new plugs with you, or you could just drive to the parts store after dumping the SF in :) Just be prepared for a substantial amount of white smoke (deposits and such burning off, don't be alarmed). SF can have a tendency to foul out the plugs on occasion, but you should change them anyhow if you're looking to tune-up.

A well-priced intake could also prove beneficial, frees the engine revs up some and the cooler air should give you a small boost in power and mpg. I've run Rusty's intake package for several years (was $125 when I picked it up) and have been happy with it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
That's pretty close, about 5 miles to a gallon. Might be able to get a few more but not much. The tune up should be all you need. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
For starters, that's 15mpg not 5... and I'd say it's not that bad, I wouldn't expect that much of an improvement. Currently I knock out about 260/18gal tank, however I'm lifted on 31's with factory gears... Granted there's a decent amount of engine and power upgrades, but those don't really help anymore.
I did have an intake, tb spacer, header, and full exhaust done on stock tires (235's) and I managed to get a routine 370/tank, mostly freeway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts