Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I think I figured out at least a certain chain of events that made the 98 overheat, and run weird...
  1. The thermostat is shot.
  2. The antifreeze mix is off. Way off.
  3. Can't tell if it's frozen, or if the water pump seized up on me.
  4. The above launched the belt.
Does anyone know of something I can use as an additive to thaw/remove ice, maybe even prevent freezing until I can get this thing somewhere to fix it?

It's a:
  • 4.0L
  • Cast Block
  • Cast Head
  • Stock radiator.
I could use something ASAP to thaw the block out since the A/F mix is so screwed...
Oh, and my 'check gauges' light is from it throwing the belt. (No Alt.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Get it inside and let it warm slowly.My guess would be that the waterpump seized up.Also check your alt/powersteering pumps to make sure they are both turning freely and go from there.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure it's just frozen... The belt and everything was on and working when
I drove it home and the overheating happened. The belt explains the weird sound when I tried starting it up the other night... The water pump is frozen cuz the antifreeze mix is way wrong.

I need to get the block and stuff thawed...who's got an idea?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
use a electric blanket on the motor.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Obviously you don't have a block heater? The make ones that replace a freeze plug...

They also make magnetic stick-on heaters. They work great on an oil pan, might be able to stick one on the side of the block...

Also, buddy heaters (little electric heater with a fan in it) work okay if you throw a couple in the engine bay, close the hood, and wander off for a while...

BTW, doesn't take much ice in a block to ruin it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I kicked myself for not getting one of those when I did the plugs...
I know I got the block blanket on the Monte, and it works good, So I have to look into that...
I'm actually thinking of tarping the hell out of it and using a torpedo to blow hot air under it...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Is a torpedo just a forced-air space heater? That will work. We use them on the helicopters to warm things up before a start. Ducting is what makes them efficent... But they still aren't great, gotta give them about an hour to take a freeze off anything, and even then it's not guaranteed.

The combustion heaters are better (herman-nelson) but they can be a real PITA. If you turn the heat setting to max on them they will shoot flames (and quite possibly melt down). We (not meaning me) melted the interior of a machine with one...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE:

So I went and got the new thermostats (I figured I'd do the 92 since it was kinda nice out) And so far it is not overheating.
I had to get a new belt also ad the frozen water pump kept throwing it, and finally shredding it. My coolant mix was way off (hence the frozen engine when it was cold) and everything is ok. No cracks, no leaks, no bad head gasket, no warped block/head. Nothing. Not even from freezing.

The only weird thing is the thermostat worked when I tested it in the house, so I just figured it was an intermittent sticking problem with it (I mean it was factory...). All in all I don't think that 10 years out of a belt and thermostat isn't too bad.

Now we all copacetic. Now it's the 92's turn to get a new water pump on it in addition to jackin with the NSS on this one now...

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you are having problems with the anti-freeze in it, don;t mix it all all. Run the coolant and pure coolant. That will prevent you from freezing up, its not what the owner's manual and garages recommend but it wont hurt you engine. I run mine like that and still have the original water pump, thermostat, ect. Mine's a 99 and i have 150,000 miles on it never replaced any of that.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good to here of no big dammage and its back running
Yeah I took it out for a test drive right before I burped it for the last time and forgot how killer those new brakes are... lol I damn near launched myself thru the windshield a few times...:rofl:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts