Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here we go, I had never cleaned out the coolant ever since I first bought my 97XJ. This all started to happen I would say maybe about a year ago or less, it started to overheat a little by little started noticing the temperature getting pretty high especially when I was in traffic. And of course being a dumb ass I ignored it. About 3 to 4 months ago I had to drive out to the desert to go to a funeral of a good friend. on my way out there it got really hot! I made it to the funeral on time but as soon as I pulled up and parked water was just shooting out of the deposit bottle.
after letting it cool down and it getting a little later the sun going down I added some coolant and drove home without any problems but I new I had to do something so I started watching all the videos on YouTube reading all the post and figured out exactly what I was going to do. I went with the concentrated coolant and distilled water mix, I actually did this twice. I first flushed out the radiator by itself I disconnected the hoses ran clean water through there until it was coming out nice and clear then I took my shop vac and with the blower side and I blew all remaining water that was in there I made sure it all came out. Then I proceeded to do the engine block I remove the thermostat housing and flushed everything exact same way I ran water through it until it was nice and clean and then with the shop vac blew all the water out of the engine block. Then I proceeded to do The heater core,Exactly the same way. I had already pre-mixed my coolant and the distilled water and started to fill up the engine and radiator first just to make sure that it was full, and of course I put the thermostat and thermostat housing back on I let it sit for like half an hour to make sure there was no air bubbles anywhere and I did the heater core reconnected everything again I let it sit. And went to the normal procedure turned on the engine turned on the heater waited for the thermostat to open and continue to fill up the radiator until it was full let it run for about maybe 30 minutes and I noticed that it wasn’t getting as hot is it before. So I ran it for about a week driving it to work, driving it over here driving over there pretty much normal driving and I noticed a difference it wasn’t as hot as before so I said what the hell and I did the whole procedure again. After I did it the second time not only did it run a lot better but it seriously stayed way cooler. Before the thermostat would read 220° I would hear the auxiliary fan kick in and it would cut down to about maybe 215° to 217°. Now in traffic bumper-to-bumper it gets too about maybe 206° And if I turn on the AC it’ll literally dropped to 192° . Also if I’m driving at 65 it’s down to the high 180s . I also noticed that it’s saving more gas. It runs a hell of a lot smoother. My XJ has 279,000 miles. And so far everything is good. I just wanted to post this To help out anybody that might be having an overheating problem. Be cool have a good one and Jeep-on 🤙🏼🤙🏼🤙🏼.

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
Good job. Be warned that flushing your heater core may lead to leaks in it. I did mine using very low pressure water and about a week later the heater core started leaking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts