Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It is even better than Wendy's :)

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
One must continue to plan ahead. The next thing is to decide what coil spring to use when it is linked. If you haven't caught on the fact that I think outside the box, now is the time. After perusing the wrecking yard I spotted the rear coils on the Ford Aerostar. It is a progressive rate coil that rides very smooth over the bumps. Also held in place by one bolt top and bottom. the coil is 19" long and compress to 5" giving me a possible 14" of travel at each corner. I currently have 13" travel in the front

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The next decision to make is what shocks to use. I decided to stick with Monroe gas magnums. The are a truck shock engineered for a smooth ride. The have ten stage valving in them and have worked well for me. You might recognize the big brother, the Gas Magnum on the semi truck trailers with air bag suspensions. If you have ever noticed, they ride very smooth loaded or unloaded on the highway. Without the shocks, those trailers are a constant bounce.

·
Super Moderator
10,448 Posts
I have been running Doetsch Tech Pre-Runner 8000. I replaced a set of bilsteins with these. My jeep rides better than my car. I use them cause they have built in bump stops.

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
These don't have the bump stops, but my Jeep rides better than the wife' 03 Crown Victoria

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The next things to do is start welding. One has to of course make it all fit.

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The next thing to figure out was how to mount shocks. I decided to go with the oldest shock mounting, dating back to before 1941. Most of the shock manufacturers list the EB1 or LB1 at the top of the list. Still in use today, these are the ones used on the bottom of our rear shocks. Also easy to mount. These shock studs came off a Chevy truck in the wrecking yard, cost me a buck and only require a hole in a piece of metal to mount. If you break off the shock mount on the XJ axle, these are the quick easy fix.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Nice 4.3

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Build me one

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ha, Ha. You may not say that when you see where it is going

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So after a little more welding, the coils and shocks will end up like this

Reactions: TgRamsey

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The next thing to address is the brakes. The Scout had drum brakes that were bigger than the XJ but I am spoiled. I really like my front and rear WJ brakes. So I got some new rotors and had the centers turned out for 5X5.5 hubs and drilled the rotors for the larger bolt pattern. Then made a mounting bracket, I believe they call this a radial mount. Welded it on and mounted the WJ calipers.

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Any good axle build needs one of those cool heavy duty diff covers. But being a little fussy, I wanted one with a dip stick and drain plug since I get tired of sticking my finger in the plug hole or having hot fluid come out. So I built one with the features I want, but not at the price of an ARB cover. Also this one bolts into the truss, thus strengthening the whole thing

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Next, I took a small U turn. 30 spline axles are nice, but the more splines the better. So I bought one of these

Reactions: TgRamsey

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The super 44 has a 33 spline axle, takes different carrier bearings etc. But the hole the axle fits into is 1.5", same as the 35 spline D60, 70 and 80. Sooooo, why not go for the whole enchilada? I took a chance and bought some 30 spline spider gears hoping they would fit in the same spot.

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So, if I had the 30 spline re splined to 35, would it be too thin. Not sure. But considering it strongly which would give me a 50% increase in axle strength with alloy axles. And by the way, you need to disassemble these things in a press. When they let go, it is like a jack in the box

21 - 40 of 70 Posts