Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The next twist and turn for this axle build is to use JK Dana 44 gears. Just pulled the trigger on these used JK 4.10 gears. You can see that the pinion gear is much beefier than the standard pinion next to it. Overall strength is increased by 40% with the Dana 44HD gears. I am probably going to stick to the 33 spline axle spline. On further measuring and cogitating I think the locker side gears will be a wee bit thin if re splined to 35. To install these gears I will be getting a kit from Jantz Engineering to make it all happen as soon as funds allow. So what I will end up with is a Super Dana44HD, about 40%stronger than the regular Dana 44

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Just picked up my second set of Dana 44HD (Rubicon) gears. $100 total for both

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I was happily working on my Dana 44 build, progressing nicely, going to pick up my Detroit locker from the machinist so I can put JK gears on it when my son shows up and said "Dad, I need to get rid of this turdy five and put the 44A in. Then he said, Dad I would sure like to put a 4 inch lift kit on it." So I took a hiatus from my junk and worked on his. We got the rear ends out, ordered some builder parts which make it convenient for me and we plan on finishing it next weekend.
IMG_2195.JPG
IMG_2196.JPG

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Wish my dad could build stuff with me. He's not handy. That's why you always see me building with my uncle.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Thats awful nice of you to drop everything for your son, even if its not an emergency situation. My dad would have suggested I help him finish his stuff before we start another project taking up space.

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thats awful nice of you to drop everything for your son, even if its not an emergency situation. My dad would have suggested I help him finish his stuff before we start another project taking up space.
He might have to wait awhile for me. It is OK though since I need to raise some bucks before proceeding. We had been sort of planning this for some time anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Got my locker case back today. I had to have it drilled to accept the 1/2" ring gear bolts. Mounted the ring gear and pressed on the bearings. We will see how it fits tomorrow
IMG_2197.JPG

Reactions: DaingMaing

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
According to the lliterature, since the 44HD gears are larger, they will scrape the inside of the case. I was pleasantly surprised to find they didn't. I guess the old school D44s had a little more metal in them. However what did scrape a little is the back side of the locker. So I did a little grinding with a 3" wheel so it wouldn't. I don't think this will compromise the strength any.
IMG_2203.JPG

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I learned a new trick for the D44. They used to be a pain to set up, pulling bearings and adding and subtracting shims. But now you can get the D44 Rubicon shims that go outside the bearing races. Makes it much easier. One issue I was a little worried about is that the locker is made for any ratio. You just shim it over. I was wondering if I had enough shims. So I shimmed it over all the way and found I plenty left over
IMG_2200.JPG

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So here it is, ready for final set up. But it will have to wait until next week. I have to set up the kid's D44a with a new carrier so it will accept a lunch box locker. I have an extra set of those cool shims for that job
IMG_2199.JPG
IMG_2198.JPG
IMG_2199.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
mmmm... beefy!

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Getting closer. 33 spline axles are on their way
Axle 1.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
The kid still has my shop plugged up and all eight 6 ton jack stands holding his stuff up while we wait for parts. My axle shafts are supposed to show up today, so I got busy and went back to my roots and painted up the housing with POR15 bed liner under the shade tree.
IMG_2209.JPG

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Squarebody paint booth. Nice.

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yup, chased out of my own shop :D

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Got the ale shafts today, almost fell out of the box when the guy in brown handed them to me. But undamaged. The guy at Moser insisted I add a half inch to my length measurements to be safe and said I could cut off any extra. Instead I pulled out these axle stops the guy at Eaton said I didn't need anyway. Hoping I don't have to do any trimming
IMG_2211.JPG

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Here is a show off pic. These axles are much beefier than the standard D44 axle or the D44A next to it
IMG_2210.JPG

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Couldn't get the axle shaft into the press, just wouldn't make the bend to get into the center. So I got out the high tech slide hammer and installed axle bearings and seals. Paid good money when I was 17 to a Forde Garage to learn that trick
IMG_2212.JPG

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Just because Im curious, you didn't want to move the table height on the press so It fit underneath?

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
It was hot, triple digits and my press table weighs about 100 pounds. Just didn't want to add to that and have to pick it up with one hand while I inserted the cross bolts under it. I really need a hand crank and cable for it

41 - 60 of 70 Posts